Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first time modding when ive been a fan for years  (Read 966 times)

SmittyStoneGrim

• Escaped Lunatic
  • whats a personal text?
    • View Profile
first time modding when ive been a fan for years
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:21:08 pm »

long time ago, in a fort not so long ago since i tend to start new games when i get the FPS death stage...anyways. title says a good chunk. got some serious questions for ya all:

1) would it be better to either create a new creature that can birth dwarves and play as a dorf civ or simply merge it into a caste system?
2) World of warcraft mod crashed alot (its what drove me into giving modding DF a shot to see if i can one day make it more tolerable) whenever fleshfiends tried to load and abominations...tho without the crash log not much can be done...dang...my bad...
3) if i did merge said creature into a caste for the dwarves, could i create the personalities and religions different from the dwarves and it still be playable?

i could probably do this and work while fumbling in the dark, but considering that it took me 10 hours just to create the file, an entity for it, AND just now post here (first time ever since 2013ish?) i believe it would be better to get a lookover then spend time doing something i probably could do but still end up here regardless since i more than likely wouldnt know more than what i do now.

whew.

what do you all say?
"You cant have everything in the world because then where would you put it all?" didnt stop Urist McCave from trying with 53 Turtle Shell rings in his room.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: first time modding when ive been a fan for years
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:44 am »

1) only possible with castes, so definitely the latter
2) that's not a question...
3) religions? no. personalities? yes.

SmittyStoneGrim

• Escaped Lunatic
  • whats a personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 06:18:32 am »

huh. guess the religous spheres dont really play a big role. ok, personalities can be fun to tweak.

EDIT:
ugh, i didnt see that i had the post im replying to right under...anyways. so although the personalities will differ somewhat, the creature will inherit the dorfen religious spheres? (id rather not mess with whats not broken)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:24:17 am by SmittyStoneGrim »
"You cant have everything in the world because then where would you put it all?" didnt stop Urist McCave from trying with 53 Turtle Shell rings in his room.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:35 pm »

Religion is determined by culture, not creature.  So if they're raised in the ordinary dwarven civilization, they'll follow the ordinary dwarven religion.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

SmittyStoneGrim

• Escaped Lunatic
  • whats a personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:28:31 pm »

huh. so the religous stuff will have to either be tampered with or simply fall in line with the standard dwarf beliefs. ok then, thats out of the way. if i were merge the creature into the dorf caste, do i or can i make a entity file for it? this does seem kind of explanatory when i look at the raws but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask for verification as the creatures lifestyle i have in mind does somewhat differ from the dwarves.

im kind of excited about modding here, something about just creating something and (should it work well enough) is reward enough. thanks for all the help btw guys, i really appreciate it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:08:07 pm »

Entity files are creature-level. Entity files cannot define specific castes.

If you want to make an entirely new creature separate from dwarves that does not interbreed with dwarves, do that. There is nothing special about dwarves except the [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] tag that makes them playable.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:35:50 am »

Or if you want to keep it dwarf-based, you can always make an additional dwarven entity with different religious spheres and such.  You can have multiple entities with the same creature as long as you call the second one [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN_NEW] or some such.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

SmittyStoneGrim

• Escaped Lunatic
  • whats a personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:34:33 am »

@Putnam  ahhhhhh, ok then. thats cleared up. kind of toying with the idea of making a another dwarven race now...
@ Demonic Gophers  that...actually clears up a concern i had about this. think i get it now. just a different named file that specifically refers to a different dwarf civ with similar values like that of the first. ok.

time to get dirty. i read up on here somewhere about making a caste of laborers, how does the pop ratio thing work? like i understand that dwarves are a value of 25000, how does this work in childre/breeding/whatever you call it. what im trying to understand is what the limits are, some standards, and the values work. i know that setting it to one makes it so that basically no one will breed with the creature, but what does making it a 2 or a 3 do? you understand what im curious about? i get that THATS how it works, im trying to understand HOW it works the way it does.

thanks for your patience and help guys!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:57:35 pm »

POP_RATIO is just that

a population ratio, it's caste level tag, meaning if you had CASTE:MALE be 2, and CASE:FEMALE be 1, 2/3rds of the population will be men. or in this case, MALE CASTE

So in my old mods I'd have 3 Castes for some of my playable creatures (or more) my main two Male and Female would be a really high ratio, of 25000 (making them 50000 of the ratio on their own) and any WIZARD/DEMON/DEMI-GOD Caste would be super low (1 is the lowest, 0 just defaults to I believe 500)

Then using transformations upgrade normal castes to the special castes.

SmittyStoneGrim

• Escaped Lunatic
  • whats a personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 06:50:54 pm »

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! so thats how it is. cool. but what about if its just a female caste within a civ? i dont want them to be the non existant nor do i want them to be popping babies left and right so much that it they dwarf the civ. a sort of balance thats on par with the rest. do i need to rebalance the civ pop_ratio? whereever thats located at.

and transformations huh? how would that work? i can already imagine some !science!. ive heard about there being a golem caste somewhere within the modding forums that works, maybe. havent really looked too hard into it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »

there's no way to limit castes to only have children of a certain caste, so your dwarven women will be having your other creatures as children and vice versa anyway

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 10:34:14 pm »

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! so thats how it is. cool. but what about if its just a female caste within a civ? i dont want them to be the non existant nor do i want them to be popping babies left and right so much that it they dwarf the civ. a sort of balance thats on par with the rest. do i need to rebalance the civ pop_ratio? whereever thats located at.

and transformations huh? how would that work? i can already imagine some !science!. ive heard about there being a golem caste somewhere within the modding forums that works, maybe. havent really looked too hard into it.

[POP_RATIO:number] is a CASTE level tag, you can just put it in a caste. Don't think you need to alter any ini files or ENTITY (since you said CIV)

My old mod and Masterwork and I think a few others have Golem Castes in them.

And as Putnam explained your females will give birth to all castes (Hence the reason that the non desirable to be born have a POP_RATIO of 1, and the main castes have a very large number) Then you either have some sort of breeder pet that you can convert children from that to your "special" caste, or just transform regular members to your "special" caste