Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating music? Synthesizer?  (Read 691 times)

Almo3361

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Creating music? Synthesizer?
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:12:55 pm »

Hi! I want to try creating my own music with a Synthesizer or something like that. Just for fun. I enjoy hobby projects.
Anyone care to help me? Perhaps some of us can do something together :)
I know nothing about this, I'd just like to try it out. So any tips is welcome.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Creating music? Synthesizer?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:03 am »

Have you tried fruity loops?
Its a neat program that is helpful to learn musical scales, as well as making small midiesque songs. You can integrate a synth into it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating music? Synthesizer?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 01:12:26 pm »

As the subject is raised (and so far I haven't seen anything in the FL documentation regarding this, but maybe I just need to keep reading, and/or download it and try), is there any program that handily takes a...   I suppose I'd call it a virtual MIDI signal loopback, or something.

As simple (to me!) as being able to accept a formatted STDIN pipe-through from a script/program of my choice, or maybe set up a socket connection layer, but instead of plugging in a MIDI device (or connecting, say, a serial-out straight back into a compatible sound-card MIDI port, which would probably need some careful and maybe component-mediated wiring).

Am I making sense?  Probably not.  Basically, I am not very musical, but I want to try out some (interactively) scripted music. I believe Sonic Pi has an (internal) scripting feature, but I need (FCVO 'need'...  it's just a whim project, not yet serious) to work with a more familiar (and powerful) external script-runner, and my collection of Raspberry Pis of various versions are currently in another location.

I'm thinking of Windows (thus effectively DOS) platform, and I'm fairly sure there should be some archaic pipeable sound synthesiser. I remember using a speech synthesiser that took in phonemes at the DOS prompt back in 1990, that didn't even use a sound card but actually used the PC speaker...  Though it's possible that I'd have to keep it to an XP or earlier, to avoid the modern HAL restrictions, if it's actually of that low a level of hardware-poking.