Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan Safe Traps  (Read 2041 times)

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan Safe Traps
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpBHrQLzoDo&feature=youtu.be

I did the pattern exactly as described on the wiki for caravan safe traps @

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trap_design

and when I check for depot access, my depot cannot be reached. The entire hall is red. I used stone fall traps, do I need to use a different kind of trap?

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Safe Traps
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:34:49 pm »

The entrance to your traps and depot room is probably blocked somewhere outside. 

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:45:28 pm »

If that was the case, then it would be able to pass when I removed the traps. However, if I remove the traps, they can then pass.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »

In your vid it looks like there is a trap downward and to the left blocking the route. The path needs to be three wide, orthogonally.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:57:20 pm »

In your vid it looks like there is a trap downward and to the left blocking the route. The path needs to be three wide, orthogonally.

Then the wiki is wrong and needs to be updated.
I have moved the traps and indeed, it looks like the caravan cannot move diagonally through 3 wide space.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:37:23 pm »

I noticed that obstacles to a wagon extend out in a 1 tile radius around the object. This includes boulders (just smooth them) and trees. 5 tile-wide roads and gates show a 3-wide wagon access path.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:58:48 pm »

Then the wiki is wrong and needs to be updated.
I have moved the traps and indeed, it looks like the caravan cannot move diagonally through 3 wide space.
The wiki says, "Caravans need 3-wide corridors, but that corridor does not need to be straight." This probably is intended to mean that the wagon can be forced to move one west, one north, one west, one north, one west, one north, and so on... But the wagons do need to move orthogonally, unlike dwarfs.
EDIT: I actually looked at the wiki example... Yes, that first example will not work. The center path would need to be several squares wider so that wagon could move properly.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:24:38 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 01:18:21 pm »

Well I think that the wagon is 3x3 or most likely 4-5x3 because of pack animals so take that into consideration and see if that might work.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »

The wagon is 3x3, and the draft animals do not affect its pathing. In fact, it's possible for the draft animals to clip through walls when ascending ramps, because their position is fixed relative to the center of the wagon, rather than being the result of their own pathing. I've accidentally immersed caravans' draft horses in magma before when I ran some of my magma plumbing lines a bit too close to my depot's exit tunnel.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 10:00:29 pm »

I've accidentally immersed caravans' draft horses in magma before when I ran some of my magma plumbing lines a bit too close to my depot's exit tunnel.

....how did that turn out? You can't leave out the description! Did you have !!horses!!, !!caravaneers!!, !!merchants!! and !!trade goods!!? Or did nothing happen?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 02:35:46 pm »

We need to know!
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.