Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow the pace  (Read 657 times)

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow the pace
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:38:11 pm »

Last game, I kind of started getting the hang of things, but then a I struck gold and a migration wave of 30 some dwarves came, soon followed by a siege by 30 some monsters too. I only had 4 weapons on hand. Its great that I had all those dwarves to put to work, but it seems to me the dwarf/armed dwarf ratio is very important.

What can I do to keep the pace slow until I actually start forging my own weapons?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Slow the pace
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:41 pm »

Some options:

- Control the population cap very carefully, and increase it as you need more dwarves to arrive.

- Don't make anything too valuable, or raise the population cap too high, until you're ready to defend.

- Embark with a few weapons on hand, and some metal and coal to make more with.

- Put new migrant waves in a "newcomers training area" with a variety of weapons to learn how to use, while your more valuable dorfs can hide somewhere else.

- Wall in your original dorfs to get them to do the forgework. Get the new migrant waves to do the outdoor activities, while your original dorfs live and work underground, fed outdoor food through a chimney-pipe food-dump, while they pump out weapons and dump them for the Outside Dorfs to use on the siege.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slow the pace
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 02:43:25 pm »

I have a couple of dwarf classes:
1) Medics - get wood cutter so they carry an axe
2) Miners - They have their picks
3) All the remaining men get drafted into melee squads so they always have armor and weapons (8 squads total to start)
4) All the remaining women get drafted in to xbow squads also with armor and weapons (8 squads total to start)  Hopefully this protects the babies.
5) A squad or two of mercenaries who constantly train in the outer bailey of my fort on the surface.  I think 1 is required but the rest go.

I use a mod that has training libraries to skill up the populace.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.