Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jobs requiring multiple dwarfs  (Read 686 times)

robst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jobs requiring multiple dwarfs
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:16:40 am »

Hello. I think it would be cool if there were some jobs that require more than just one dwarf. since dwarf fortress' gameplay has such a strong aspect of managing things, it would be a nice, easy increase of complexity in the gameplay.

what do you guys think?

sorry if english is not perfect, i'ts not my first language

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs requiring multiple dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:13:26 am »

This already happens. I am not sure what this is asking. When you have an area selected for mining, multiple dorfs will go mine. If you have multiple tree for cutting selected, multiple dorfs will go cut trees. If you lots of constructions pending or floors to be smothed, as many dorfs as possible will work it.

The jobs that are done by one dorfs, are workshop jobs and building bridges. Pretty sure at least.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:50:30 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 03:08:50 am »

I think they mean jobs requiring two dwarves at once. For example, some furnaces involve both a smith and a bellows operator in real life.
One wheel short of a wagon

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:43:11 am »

Yeah I think Toady's mentioned wanting this before. Perhaps when talking about apprenticeships? It'd have to be after workshops are abolished and replaced with something more flexible.

One day in the far future brewers, cooks and cheesemakers will scuttle happily about their grand kitchens together while armourers teach the young folk the secrets of working steel down in the forges and doctors ponder the mysteries of lobotomy in the hospital library.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:56:10 am by Shonai_Dweller »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:28:47 pm »

When you an area selected for mining, multiple dorfs will go mine. If you have multiple tree for cutting, multiple dorfs will go cut trees. If you lots of constructions pending or floors to be smothed.
False comparison. That's not *a* job, that's dozens of small jobs, creating dozens of calls for a dwarf to come work them. We're talking about multiple dwarves all doing the same job, like four haulers working together to carry some heavy object--rather than the current status, where a single hauler will waste an entire week rather than admit that dragging a caged bronze colossus up 19 flights of stairs might be a bit too much for him.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.