Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brain-computer interface  (Read 1221 times)

rollie

Brain-computer interface
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:01:20 am »

Elon Musk and Neuralink are developing something that will enable people to control computers directly by their thoughts.
He said they will finish it in about 10 years.
How do you think, which will come first? Interface rehaul for Dwarf Fortress or implantable brain-machine interface?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Brain-computer interface
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:09:26 am »

The UI gets changed with every major update. So I guess the UI. Since the next  release will be a major, and therefore will have UI changes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

rollie

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:09 am »

But what about the old UI which has nothing to do with current updates?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 02:50:12 pm »

I honestly don't see the problem, all the instructions for which key does what are right there on the panel-tab-thing; so it's not like the game's functions are impossible to discern without a wiki.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Jairl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:02:34 pm »

Elon Musk and Neuralink are developing something that will enable people to control computers directly by their thoughts.
He said they will finish it in about 10 years.
How do you think, which will come first? Interface rehaul for Dwarf Fortress or implantable brain-machine interface?

You mean Elon Musk is STEALING CREDIT for technology that already exists... as usual.

https://www.ted.com/talks/miguel_nicolelis_brain_to_brain_communication_has_arrived_how_we_did_it

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 06:13:31 am »

Beware, you might end up controlled by the dorfs.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 08:14:02 am »

Hmm, this would ease up learning the menus immensely.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 09:24:46 am »

I already have a brain-computer interface. It's a pair of digital devices, each capable of independent parallel control of mounted each upon their own posable multi-jointed 5+ axis extensible armatures that hang straight off my spinal column for additional load-bearing duties (at slightly reduced parity control, and possible baud rate).

The basic model hasn't changed significantly in decades, to my knowledge, though my own setup has been enlarged significantly since I first started using it. There was that one time I broke one of the struts, but it turned out to be self-healing, as well, so long as you packaged it up for a period of down-time. (This didn't affect the other bits, but did temporarily reduce both baud and capacity.

Admittedly, you are reduced to almost entirely a haptic feedback (with proprioception as standard) if you don't link it to a suitable suite of sensors, but I also already possess twin optical scanners that seem to do well enough for that, in my instance - though that includes use of retrofitted focal adjustment lenses (detachable, but rarely so done) to correct a long-term manufacturing error.

Anyway, I'm hoping my equipment remains compatible with many versions of DF yet to come. In the past, its reconfigurable modes of usage have helped ride over previous API alterations, so I suspect these systems will remain the baseline I/O for a while to come, with minimal issues.

(I have another pair of less capable interfaces, attached to some legacy elements at the base of the spine, but they aren't quite so useful as they're usually dedicated to impkementing various transport protocols, and attempting to do both tasks (or without fully uninstalling the Sock API) leads to disappointingly error-prone results.)