Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Noticed an Inconsistency With World Names  (Read 1168 times)

I Noticed an Inconsistency With World Names
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:59:04 am »

Was generating a world yesterday with my brother and I noticed the name was kinda cool "The Worlds of Man." My brother asked what the Dwarven name was and it wasn't there. I almost forgot that it even gave a Dwarvish name for the worlds (I don't often really look at them anymore). Since then I've noticed that about 1/3 of the world's I generate do not get a Dwarvish translation of the world's name on the generation screen (it will show when starting a new game, though).

I'm kind of curious if this is a bug and every world should be displaying the Dwarvish name of the world, or if there is some condition that makes it sometimes not have a Dwarvish name.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Noticed an Inconsistency With World Names
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:04:36 am »

Never noticed that, but I didn't check either. If you believe it to be a bug, kindly report it on the Bugtracker at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/main_page.php
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:21:59 am »

Perhaps the world wasn't originally named by the Dwarves in that case, but instead named by the Elves or Humans before the Dwarves?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:15:27 am »

It's perfectly normal behavior. Each of the languages in the raw folders has a chance to be chosen to name the world (or, for that matter, any geographical feature, since they're not linked to any entity).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:16:44 am »

There is and never has been a guarantee that there will be a dwarven name for a world.