Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Cursed Settlement of Silverypainted  (Read 2066 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
The Cursed Settlement of Silverypainted
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:14 am »

Dwarves all over Entar have many names for the seemingly cursed fortress of Rallogem, known as Silverypainted to non-dwarves. Popular names include "The Unlucky Fort", "A mass grave with a tavern", "Werebeast territory", "That hole in the ground we send idiots to", the list goes on, many are too obscene to be shared here. The once pristine landscape has become littered with the skeletal remains of dwarves, humans, elves and goblins alike, either falling prey to the constant werebeast attacks or simply getting themselves killed through alcohol-induced shenanigans.

Despite the negative connotations and becoming a hotbed for young adventurers seeking to plunder the bone-ridden halls only to meet their ends via anything from bogeymen to falling out of trees, the dwarves simply refuse to abandon the fortress, having the utmost respect for the original settlers and their struggles over the six years of the fort's original lifespan.

Oddom Ralkubuk, then the last surviving dwarf of the original expedition, spent the entirety of the first winter alone as his kinsmen succumbed to dehydration after the lakes froze over, spending the ensuing months with no water or alcohol as he forced himself to continue building, digging tombs for his fallen comrades.
Spring eventually came as Ralkubuk was on the brink of death, and the first wave of migrants arrived. The outpost liaisons and occasional merchants would note that he almost never spoke a word after the events of that winter. Ralkubuk went on to run the fortress for a time, before becoming the first casualty to the werebuffalos that took interest in the now-thriving fortress.

Within the space of a week the fortress' population had dwindled from over two hundred to a meager twelve, nine of which were children. Not knowing who could be infected, the last surviving swordsdwarf sealed the fortress' front gate, trapping herself and the survivors inside. Whether they were slaughtered by one of their own or eventually starved is unknown, by the time another expedition was sent to resettle, all that was left were bones and angry merchants.

In the ensuing months between Silverypainted's fall in early 1055 and the first resettlement, relations had collapsed between the dwarves and both the elven and human nations and war broke out. Seeing the original merchants still waiting outside Silverypainted's closed gate, unhappy to see the new colonists. A brief fight broke out before the expedition was abandoned and the survivors retreated to the Mountainhomes.

In the spring of 1057, a third expedition was launched, this time with the simple task of burying the countless fallen dwarves that littered the landscape. The new occupants managed to crack open the stone gate that had been sealed for nearly two whole years and got to work, the population growing back to a respectable forty-eight in a surprisingly short space of time.
Unfortunately, the sheer volume of bodies to bury as opposed to capable miners and masons led to the main task never being completed, resulting in ghosts appearing all over the fortress as the new tenants got on with their lives, the hauntings becoming a mild annoyance if nothing else.

Silverypainted enjoyed a brief era of peace in these months, as the elves and humans never bothered the occupants and food was never an issue, but soon the unusual calm would disappear once more. Within several weeks, a surprise weregila monster attack resulted in several deaths. Unwilling to repeat the fate of the original occupants, the dwarves sealed the hospital up, replacing the doors with fortifications, to trap the weregila monsters inside at the cost of any other wounded while the marksdwarves picked them off outside.
Unbeknownst to them a member of the military had also been infected, resulting in yet another bloodbath even after the quarantined monsters were slain. Within days the remaining dwarves were all dead, and Silverypainted's doors closed once more.

TL;DR I absolutely suck at dealing with werebeasts and ended up watching over 300 dwarves die while wars broke out in my attempts to stop the outbreak.

Succession game's started on the Vault of Horrors thread, so let me know there if you wanna be added to the list :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:50:37 pm by comicraider »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cursed Settlement of Silverypainted (Possible Succession Game)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:21:19 pm »

Count me in.
This sounds like chaos waiting to happen with the lore you already put into it.
If you start the reclaim attempts, dorf me into the reclaim party, If you want, whichever you want, custom prof name "Fortress Lunatic."
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:31:45 pm »

There's already a resettlement attempt on the brink of annihilation (two citizen dwarves left, a sh!tton of mercs and a caged weregila monster that I have no idea what to do with) if you feel like trying to do something with that, but I think I might just reset it and start fresh :P all those two do is pray and everyone's dehydrating.

Screw it, I'll try to put the cage somewhere it won't disappear and resettle :)

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 01:46:40 pm »

There's already a resettlement attempt on the brink of annihilation (two citizen dwarves left, a sh!tton of mercs and a caged weregila monster that I have no idea what to do with) if you feel like trying to do something with that, but I think I might just reset it and start fresh :P all those two do is pray and everyone's dehydrating.

Shit, this sounds like a hell process, drop the save, I want to see the problems we have.
"Men! On my count!"

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 04:23:08 pm »

Where exactly is the cage? I'm looking for it and I dun see it.
"Men! On my count!"

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:45:33 pm »

There's some downward slopes near the dining hall, I was trying to build an underground reservoir when I first started the fortress but I got attacked before it was finished, now there's a stockpile down there with a dwarf/weregila monster in it. If the fortress is gonna get abandoned just put him in one of the rooms and wall it off or something, that kept him there last time

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:35:20 pm »

I tried to mine down lower so I could make an atom smasher, no one came down in around 30 minutes.
"Men! On my count!"

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:06:26 pm »

Sounds about right. Can't get the morons to do anything, they just pray and drink. The fact that I haven't had a liaison visit since they first showed up and only one migrant wave isn't helping either. It got so bad I looked into Legends just to make sure the Humans and Elves hadn't wiped the Mountainhomes out but no, still there. just forgot Silverypainted exists. Made worse by the fact that I started a second fortress and that's thriving with 120+ dwarves, regular merchant visits and more supplies than I know what to do with.

If I ever get some more dwarfpower I wanna at least get some water flowing down into the fortress, the lakes all freeze over in winter and dehydration is still a problem, and possibly build an arena or simply a museum for all the caged stuff. Beyond that I have no idea what to do with the place, besides maybe wait and see how the wars turn out and simply dig down to Hell and make life difficult for invaders, call it a nuclear option of sorts. Maybe even get some werebeast supersoldiers created? :P The constant genocide this fortress experiences brings out my evil side at times
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:12:24 pm by comicraider »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 09:34:14 pm »

Well if we can't work this fort we can get started with a new one, how big is the world?
"Men! On my count!"

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 10:07:08 pm »

64x64 if memory serves.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 10:09:13 pm »

Yeah it's probably a good idea to find another fort location.
"Men! On my count!"

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:20 pm »

Cool, I'll look for embark points later. I'm gonna look for somewhere further south, Dwarven territory is in the northern region of the world and the neighbors are at war with us (someone may or may not have accidentally killed some merchants).

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 12:03:45 am »

If you could export an xml file or two so I could look up the history of the world, i can work on a more lore-esque aspect of the sucession playthrough
"Men! On my count!"

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 02:30:59 am »

Just pulled the XML files off with DFHack

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5mubx528jhns60/Entar%20XML.rar?dl=0

Our civ should be Zulban Unol/Banner of Souls if memory serves. I've had trouble in the past getting these to work with Legends viewer, not sure why

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:21 am »

Bump post for embark areas and for recruiting.
"Men! On my count!"
Pages: [1] 2