Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which New Faction Idea Interests You

Far East (Heavy Melee Focus)
- 4 (14.3%)
Reinhart (Genetic Mods and Babysnatching)
- 7 (25%)
Government Remnants (High Tech Russian Aesthetic)
- 11 (39.3%)
Focus on Current Factions
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ***CORROSION*** (v2.14a) (DF 44.02) <<More Than Zombies>>  (Read 29161 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

Big ol' update to the mod.

Big things, New civilization, Desert Devils. They steal their nobles are completely redone to increase fun two fold. I really enjoyed them and I hope you guys do to :)
I gave this a spin, but I'm not sure I get how the steel is supposed to work. 
Given that ore only gives actual iron half the time, it looks like you need 6 ore for every crucible steel. The steel guide says that the reaction to make shear steel should be at the crucible, but I don't see it there.  I looked at the raws, and the reaction to make it was called FINISH_SHEAR_STEEL to be done at the finishing forge, while entity_default only has MAKE_SHEAR_STEEL listed as an allowed reaction. 

I also embarked on the northern tundra, and could only farm three kinds of berries above ground, and nothing below.  I think this is a biome thing, but just thought I should let you know.

Thanks for making this!

Thanks for the tip, should be fixed in latest release.

I will look into adding some new Tundra plants, that is a good suggestion. In the mean time, meat is A LOT more viable so hopefully that will help.

Oh, a heads up, if you want to try and remove demons since they might be made of things too nonsensical to be mutations, the infected will need their sites changed to cities. Evidently there was some hard code change that makes demons a requirement for dark fortress civs now.

Thanks for the heads up. I've noticed that popping up in legends quite a bit. I may change it down the line if it causes any issues, but otherwise I think the visual distinction of dark towers might precede an immediate need to remove demons.
You do bring up some very good points, so I do want to stress that the aquifers everywhere is an experiment. If I can find a better way to encourage above ground forts or if the General concensus is that the deadly rock layers were better I will switch. Above ground forts -I feel- are a necessity to the feel of corrosion that distinguishes it from other mods. So that will be preserved one way or another.

Of course I am a little delighted that the "perfect spot" is more difficult to get.

Have you tried having everyone that is not allowed underground, have the tag [CAVE_ADAPTS] and also apply a self interaction to themselves that uses the COUNTER_TRIGGER on CAVE_ADAPT that gives them worse and worse effects the longer they are underground (2 months may be fatal)

CAVE_ADAPT trigger notes
How cave-adapted the creature is. Increases by 1 for every time unit spent underground, to a maximum of 800000.
403200 (1 year) = going outside causes irritation
604800 (1.5 years) = going outside causes nausea

I use that method quite a bit when I create a playable human civ to encourage above ground or more "open" living arrangements 

I saw this earlier, but was not able to play around for it before the latest release. I'll do some experimenting, it could work quite nicely.
I'm glad to see Corrosion being updated again - it was always one of my favorite mods.  There seems to be a bug with the current version - it (and not other mods) causes the game to segfault on loading up a save, either with compressed or uncompressed savefiles.  The only think in the errorlog is
Code: [Select]
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_PIKE
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_PICK
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW
, and it seems to usually happen during the "Loading Artifacts" stage on the loading screen.  Is that affecting anyone else?

Odd, I have not encountered such an issue. Duplicate objects usually don't cause a crash. If it occurs in the latest update let me know.

Surprisingly this did not end my first fort and the last wereelk lived in the mines while some new migrants arrived the next year. Of course the embark equipment was stuck down there with it, so getting a new fort built on the surface was interesting. Things were going fine up until some evasive infected showed up, and I forgot that they can now climb >.<

Anyway fort #2 is underway, while severely lacking in the hemp department the new farm area is sitting on a nice ledge, and I plan on making some overhangs to see if that'll stop them climbing up.

Glad you're having FUN :P and be careful of those climbers! I have lost many a fort to them :P

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

New Tileset is looking good.

Red is blood

Based off of the Jolly Bastion tileset.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

No offense man, but that honestly looks kinda gross, and for lack of better terms, not sufficiently grim.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile

where could i get dwarf therapist for it?
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

GrandpuhTy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lowly Cowherd
    • View Profile

where could i get dwarf therapist for it?

Download the latest file from this list: https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/tree/DF2016/share/memory_layouts/windows
Then: "Find the layout for your operating system with the corresponding version that matches your version of Dwarf Fortress. Right click and 'Save link as...' to the same directory on your computer.

For example if you're using windows, copy the layout to your Dwarf-Therapist/share/memory_layouts/windows directory."

I think there may have been another step I needed to do to get it to work, but that should make Dwarf Therapist work with the latest version of Dwarf Fortress.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile

i already found a way to get the Dwarf Therapist,but thanks anyway
(i just use my Masterwork DF Dwarf Therapist and it works)
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

Been adding knicks and knacks here and there. A few new ores and metals mostly, and making the Picks a lot more unique with new pets.

Overall, I would like to add a new civilization -or at the very least something meaty- before release, but that takes a significant chunk of time and time hasn't been my strong suit as of late.

Thanks for everyone who voted on the poll, I will be looking into alternatives to the Aquifers.

No offense man, but that honestly looks kinda gross, and for lack of better terms, not sufficiently grim.
I understand the desire for grim, and I'll see what I can do. Could you expand on what you mean by "gross"?

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crudely done and overly simple... Like, I dunno. Like it was done with a shaky hand and a bunch of colored pens.

I coulda sworn the original had some custom dealies for the humans and infected at least. Or did I just hallucinate that?

GrandpuhTy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lowly Cowherd
    • View Profile

I started using Wanderlust for the most recent release, it seemed to fit quite well.
I coulda sworn the original had some custom dealies for the humans and infected at least. Or did I just hallucinate that?
No he did make a custom tileset for 34.11, which I rather liked if just for being unique to Corrosion.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No he did make a custom tileset for 34.11, which I rather liked if just for being unique to Corrosion.

That's what I was talking about.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

My schedule is starting to kick into high gear over here. There's a lot of little stuff that I would like to get out there, but some of the big stuff is underdeveloped. So I decided to drop the update. You can see the full changelog for a more comprehensive list, but the big things to hit are here:

* Added Enlightened, they spawn in two flavors, thieves and playable race. Right now they don't have a unique feel to them and have most of their stuff copied from the Scavs.
* A lot more metals, alloys, and minerals. Some metals will be made useful at a later date.
* Plastic is back. You can create furniture and useful items for now.
* A few underground plants and animals.
* No more aquifers. Will add in an alternative next update preferably.
* Added the old tileset into the 64bit version. Couldn't figure out how to add it to the 32bit but the tileset.png is in the files.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:48:05 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

Ptw, quite interesting.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. I sense possible uses for the Enlightened, specifically when scavenging they can find crates of chemicals that only they and a government remnants faction could make proper use of - In the Enlightened's case they can use some of them and wood to make plastics in the form of bakelite and phenolic "blocks" (actually boulders) that they can use to make some tools (like furniture for firearms/crossbows, book bindings, and circuitry,) or for building - for example, the Enlightened can use it to build computers that can access the remains of the data cloud and pull of schematics for new workshops from it given some time (like say, a 3D printer that uses Bakelite to make batches of stuff, while a Gov-Rem one would use whatever normal plastics are found or can use the same chemical batches to make a more limited amount of regular plastic,) while the Government Remnants can use it to reacquire stuff of thier own, such as plans for more powerful weapons or cybernetics (military cyberdogs anyone?)

Also maybe give them an ability to take logs and process them, potentially giving them a much more eco friendly resource in the form of a small number of different farmable seeds, as well as improving the value of the wood into smooth wood - having stripped off the bark and any branches where the seeds might have been, with the grown "crop" of Young (whatever) trees being processed into 1-3 smooth wooden logs.

And with that in mind, Scavvers would also have the means to process the wood, but not farm trees (essentially they don't get seeds from thier version of the reaction, as they don't know how to actually tend to tree farms,) allowing them to improve the value of some of thier stuff.

Ideas I had in all for Enlightened
* Bakelite and Phenolic "Blocks"
* Chemical supply scavenging.
* Possibly include a  means they can sustainably manufacture chemicals for making Bakelite. Maybe certain underground creatures can be milked for a substance toxic to humans, but useful in synthesis of man-made substances?
* Data Mining via a special remote terminal building only shared with one other faction for "Eco-Tech"
* Eco-Tech includes 3D printer that only makes use of Bakelite, and if we could make some buildings require power, green-energy powered versions of their Tree Stripper, an Auto-loom to batch produce cloth with only one worker and no smoke-belching generators, an Auto-lathe to bulk manufacture ammunition for bows, crossbows, and the "Micro Ballista," as well as the Micro-Ballista itself, being essentially a man-portable siege engine that fires heavy wood or metal rods hard enough to injure someone in iron armor, and Eco-Batteries, essentially a version of battery charged via a charging station hooked up to wind turbines or water wheels that can be used in any reactions needed a battery.

And for a Government Remnants, I came up with
* Having harder hitting versions of common weapons, based on pre-disaster experimental schematics.
* 3D printers that make use of regular plastics.
* Ability to use scavenged chemicals by themselves to create regular plastic, and an inability to synthesize bakelite (as the ability to do so is something the Enlightened rediscovered independently, and makes the underground less attractive to the Government.)
* Cybernetics, their most advanced stuff, allowing the production of Cyberhounds from dogs for use in combat and possibly using dogs (or more, thier brains) to make automated turrets - think the K9000 but as a turret. Also possible use in restoring lost limbs and nerve damage as well as specialized applications such as removing the need to breath and blood filters (making someone immune to syndromes, just as an example.)
* Would need DF Hack, but endgame armor would be a type of Exoskeleton suit that greatly increases strength of the user - useful for both industrial and military purposes, as the exo suit would be great for anyone who uses heavy materials and make melee fighters much deadlier.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

Uploaded a quasi "hotfix" for you guys. Call it a !!FIX!! if you would. Nothing game breaking, but I fixed some notable bugs and tied up a few loose ends. Worth the download or redownload. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm. I sense possible uses for the Enlightened, specifically when scavenging they can find crates of chemicals that only they and a government remnants faction could make proper use of - In the Enlightened's case they can use some of them and wood to make plastics in the form of bakelite and phenolic "blocks" (actually boulders) that they can use to make some tools (like furniture for firearms/crossbows, book bindings, and circuitry,) or for building - for example, the Enlightened can use it to build computers that can access the remains of the data cloud and pull of schematics for new workshops from it given some time (like say, a 3D printer that uses Bakelite to make batches of stuff, while a Gov-Rem one would use whatever normal plastics are found or can use the same chemical batches to make a more limited amount of regular plastic,) while the Government Remnants can use it to reacquire stuff of thier own, such as plans for more powerful weapons or cybernetics (military cyberdogs anyone?)

Love it.

Also maybe give them an ability to take logs and process them, potentially giving them a much more eco friendly resource in the form of a small number of different farmable seeds, as well as improving the value of the wood into smooth wood - having stripped off the bark and any branches where the seeds might have been, with the grown "crop" of Young (whatever) trees being processed into 1-3 smooth wooden logs.

Love it.

And for a Government Remnants, I came up with
* Having harder hitting versions of common weapons, based on pre-disaster experimental schematics.
* 3D printers that make use of regular plastics.
* Ability to use scavenged chemicals by themselves to create regular plastic, and an inability to synthesize bakelite (as the ability to do so is something the Enlightened rediscovered independently, and makes the underground less attractive to the Government.)
* Cybernetics, their most advanced stuff, allowing the production of Cyberhounds from dogs for use in combat and possibly using dogs (or more, thier brains) to make automated turrets - think the K9000 but as a turret. Also possible use in restoring lost limbs and nerve damage as well as specialized applications such as removing the need to breath and blood filters (making someone immune to syndromes, just as an example.)
* Would need DF Hack, but endgame armor would be a type of Exoskeleton suit that greatly increases strength of the user - useful for both industrial and military purposes, as the exo suit would be great for anyone who uses heavy materials and make melee fighters much deadlier.

Funnily enough I was planning on having some cyborg/android civilization quasi-inspired by the Big MT from Fallout NV. But couldn't work out how to put it in universe lore wise. Government Remnants seems like a great angle to go with. What I planned on doing is making the entity support multiple android "species". The game will pick a android "species" at random and each "species" will be at varying percentages of cyborg. I would have to play with the numbers a bit, but my hope would be to create a sterile species that lives forever and gives the player a very minimal population to pull from (or a dead civ to play as).

'Enhanced' = Borg level of enchantments, saw blades, spiky bits, maybe a flamethrower.

'Rickety' = Don't quite have the idea nailed down yet. The basic idea is that that these people were rushed into technology that wasn't quite complete yet. So perhaps they will randomly "break down" and require some time to "reboot". Probably done by putting a syndrome on edible food.

'Complete' = More machine than man. I like the concept art for the robobrains that were discarded. They might be a little slower but will likely learn skills faster and be tougher in general. If they don't eat or drink, I'll give them some sort of specific "food" that they need to consume. Maybe coal or charcoal...

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You actually can require specific foods for specific castes/creatures. Look at the Panda for an example.

As to the cyborgs, I felt that if anyone would have cybernetics and power armor and such, it'd be the leftovers of the government and armed forces.

For fully Cyberized people, a nutrient gel synthesized from both meat and plants could be set as thier specific food (and necessitate both farming and animal rearing,) while other citizens can still use traditional food sources.

And on tree farming, it'd be a definite Enlightened only sort of deal. Government forces aren't interested in anything but trying to restore order, the Picks probably don't give enough of a damn about how the surroundings of thier communities look, and the Scavvers and Dust Devils just plain wouldn't care or have the know-how to properly nurture such endeavors.

Glad you liked the ideas though :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4