Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 40451 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:14:55 pm »

A General in a pristine uniform stands in front of a room filled with scientists and engineers, each listing intently in various stages of disbelief. "Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to Project PROMETHEUS. I know this is sudden, I know this is surprising, but I know you all can handle it. Magic is real. Monsters are real. Both have been enemies of humanity for longer than history has been recorded. For centuries they have been content with hiding in our shadow, but something has changed. They are gathering together. They are raiding and kidnapping and preparing for something BIG. The governments of the world have banded together to fight this menace. But to fight darkness, we need light. You are that light. There is no way in God's green Earth that the vampires, werewolves, undead, and whatever crawls out from under the bed can stand up to this light. You give us the guns, we put them to good use. I look forward to working with you all."

Project PROMETHEUS is an arms race game against an NPC opponent, who happens to be Supernatural in nature. Inspired by games such as X-Com, Hunter:The Vigil, and Kashyyk's "World Task Force"  you play normal human scientists equipping normal human soldiers to kill unnormal nonhuman things. You work as a group, voting on what action you should take during each Phase. There are four Phases, described in detail (along with the other mechanics) below. Feel free to ask any questions you have!

Phase One: Design. This is were you design the cool new weapons and other equipment. A basic description is all that is necessary in the design phase, though you can get more detailed if you want. Weapons generally have three stats: Effectiveness, Cost, and Complications. Each stat is rolled separately, and you may reroll a single stat instead of submitting a design during this phase. Effectiveness describes how good a design is, Cost describes how many resources it needs to make it during the Production Phase, and Complications describe any unintended effects of the design. Each stat is relative, a pistol with high Effectiveness will not be as powerful in combat as a Minigun with low effectiveness, while the pistol will be much cheaper no matter the Cost and will have less severe Complications whatever the roll. In addition the priorities you set will effect what the Effectiveness means and what Complications you get. A rifle meant to be accurate with the same Effectiveness as a rifle meant to be damaging will be more accurate and less damaging than the other rifle. 

Phase Two: Production. This is were you make the weapons and equipment designed in Phase One. You have a limited amount of Resources (R) to build equipment with. Resource generally represents money, which can be used to buy mundane supplies making up any equipment. Conventional weapons typically only cost Resources, however most supernatural or advanced equipment may cost corpses or enemy material that our boys bring back in the Combat phase. You will receive more Resources each Battle phase based on your performance, the better you do the more you get paid (Base 100R). 100R is your starting resources. A standard strike squad will have seven men, which will vary over time with each mission.

Phase Three: Combat. This is were our Squads engage the enemy! For the time being, it mostly consists of you receiving a Battle Report detailing how the fight went down. The Battle Report is received by wireless body-cameras, meaning you receive a Battle Report even if the squad was completely wiped out. Survivors are able to give more details on things the Camera currently can't tell you about, such as mental attacks. The enemies fought in this phase are likely to show up again later, meaning equipping the Squad to enemy weaknesses is viable. The Supernatural forces will field more powerful creatures over time, while also developing their own troops to be more effective against your equipment. If a squad is wiped out or forced to retreat, you may loose equipment that the group had. If the game goes well, this phase might evolve into a separate minigame.

Phase Four: Dissection/Development. Here, you develop or discover new Technology to use during the next design phase. The Technology can be mundane, in which case it costs Resources to Develop. Otherwise, you can investigate the enemy corpses and materiel in Dissection. Dissection destroys the materiel in return for information on how it works. It only destroys what was dissected, leaving the rest of the object intact (if you Examine a Zombie's brain, you will still have a headless Zombie corpse to utilize). D/D has a chance of failing based on how difficult the research is, the simpler the goal the easier it will be. That is to say investigating an unconscious Vampire for weaknesses would be easier than trying to copy one of its powers. A price will be given for each idea.

And with that, lets get started. Happy hunting PROMETHEUS!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:50:08 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/1
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:16:07 pm »

Looks cool, posting to show interest.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 06:10:54 pm »

Interested for in this.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 08:44:15 pm »

This looks fun. Do we get to start with anything already designed?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 09:03:51 pm »

This looks fun. Do we get to start with anything already designed?

Right, you start with a conventional M4 Carbine, M9 Handguns, Interceptor Body Armor, and M67 Fragmentation grenades all borrowed from the US military. Nothing too fancy. By game stats, they are all Free and without Complications, but have a Low efficiency to compensate.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 09:07:39 pm »

Very interested.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:06:20 pm »

So with that, lets get started!

Phase 1 Round 1
Design Phase

100R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:
None!
Current Technology:
None!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:31:52 pm by Stirk »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:11:00 pm »

Hmmm, so do we know what to research for the first turn if there are no enemies?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:14:33 pm »

Hmmm, so do we know what to research for the first turn if there are no enemies?

The Battle (Where you will find enemies) phase comes before the Development phase (Were you do research). Currently we are in the Design phase.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 10:20:20 pm »

So with that, lets get started!

Phase 1 Round 1
Design Phase

100R
Current Designs:
Current Enemies:
None!
Current Technology:
None!

The Battle (Where you will find enemies) phase comes before the Development phase (Were you do research). Currently we are in the Design phase.

No I understand that. But for turn 1, you listed enemies as "none" as are we just supposed to research something random not knowing what we're fighting? For this turn we have a design phase, but no idea what we're going against.

I'm asking if that's intentional or if there's something we're supposed to be designing a weapon against.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:22:21 pm »

Since we currently don't quite know what we're up against, we should probably just try to improve one of our simpler designs. IMO, it should be body armor because it will likely minimize our casualties provided we don't end up against some incorporeal monster the first time around. (Because our enemies get progressively harder, I doubt that will be our first challenge.)
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 10:25:03 pm »

Right off the bat we'll probably want to produce something that'd have a bonus regardless of the situation our men would find themselves in. Which leads me to the proposition...

The M4-2 Rifle
This rifle is meant to improve on the aging M4 by utilizing lighter, more modern polymers in the grip and stock as well as improved internals to up the reliability of the platform. It still utilizes the same 5.56 round but thanks to improved seals and a slightly longer barrel, it will offer a higher muzzle velocity which will increase its stopping power and accuracy at range.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 10:27:07 pm »

You are designing a weapon (or other piece of equipment) not knowing what you will be fighting, correct.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »

Ok, so it's a fight against the unknown. Got it. Just wanted to check and make sure I didn't miss something.

I would suggest we look into incendiary rounds. Lots of monsters are killable by fire. And even if they're just normal monsters, fire hurts everything.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 10:33:36 pm »

Ok, so it's a fight against the unknown. Got it. Just wanted to check and make sure I didn't miss something.

I would suggest we look into incendiary rounds. Lots of monsters are killable by fire. And even if they're just normal monsters, fire hurts everything.
We could even take this a step further considering that there's usually a special element that's especially dangerous to a certain creature, fire for, well, most things, holy water for things like vampires and zombies, iron for ghosts and spirits, and silver for werecreatures. Why not a grenade launcher that has a bunch of interchangeable ammunition?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42