Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 40334 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/3
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2017, 03:18:54 pm »

Okay, so this is a PvE game, not PvP, so we can make a plan and then stick to it with little problems. As such, here's one right now.

Strategic Operation: Survivable 'n Reliable

Step 1: Advance our mobile sensors such that we can detect most everything and from a signficant distance, 1+km through Infantry, 10+km through Vehicle

Reason: Our enemies are ambushing us 9 times out of 10. We've had warning just in time so far, but advancing our sensors for greater distance, sensitivity, and reliability will allow us to get the drop on our targets.

Step 2:  Improve/Revise/Create Reliable and Versatile Weaponry so we can push out some heavy ordinance without worrying about it getting banged up.

Reason: We're facing enemies that need stronger weaponry, and we need to be able to have a variety of options in our soldiers' hands until we get the Hyper Wave Relay equivalent.

Step 3: Engage Cybernetic/Magic/MagiTech Armor.

Reason: Boosted performance + Boosted survivability = Wrecked Enemies

2 Spectral Sensors: Hibou, SMMI
0 Public Division: 
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2017, 03:23:35 pm »

3 Spectral Sensors: Hibou, SMMI tyrant
0 Public Division:

No more ambushes.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2017, 03:24:02 pm »

I actually do want the mechsuit beginning. Because it's never too early in the morning to wreck your enemies.

Speaking of which, this turn: 'Nades and silver. 'Nuff said.
(I want the grenade launcher. I'll be giving it a new name. But one of the ammunition types will be "Silver fragmentation", and the others will be regular frag, HE, HEAT (Armored enemies? NOT A PROBLEM!) and possibly even a blunt-force incapacitation round...)

4 Spectral Sensors: Hibou, SMMI, Madman198237, Tyrant
0 Public Division:

I'm afraid that that plan is already crumbling, SMMI. With new types of enemies appearing almost every turn, we're going to have to be adaptive. Otherwise, this turn needs to, in my mind, put out the nade launcher with multiple types of ammunition in order to protect us from those blasted werewolves. Also, the vampire/spirit combo thing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »

Oh we definitely need to be adaptive, I won't deny that. But having a rough shape of a plan to try to build on will let us build up technology instead of bouncing around several different places.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2017, 11:06:13 pm »

Spectral sensors: Previously pricechecked, 50R

"Power lifting costumes" previously prichecked at 300R. Limiting it to "Only Legs" probably lowers it to 150R.

In either case, you will have to make new equipment for it to fully take effect. The Oversight may be upgraded with the spectral sensor technology, but its effectiveness will still be low enough that it won't make a major difference.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2017, 01:15:02 am »

Yeah, we would probably make a new design anyway. At this point I would rather reroll the whole thing than just one third of it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2017, 08:26:20 am »

Figured I'd do this now while I'm thinking about it.

Safety Margin
Built along the lines of modern military equipment, this 6-round revolver-style 40mm grenade launcher fires semi-automatically, can be manually set to a specific chamber (Allows multiple loads: i.e., silver frag in chamber 5, and you've loaded HEAT in Chamber 1, and there's a werewolf right there. This system allows you to just rotate backwards two chambers and pull the trigger), and utilizes a variety of ammunition, including HE, HEAT, incendiary---white phosphorus or napalm, something that doesn't stop burning--- fragmentation, silver-based fragmentation, a nonlethal riot-control-style solid rubber shot, and a flare round. The detonate on impact or timer. All the grenades can be thrown by hand if necessary, detonating on timer.

----Most of these grenades we could literally get straight off the international market, but the fun ones (Silver, the extra-nasty incendiary, and possibly the 40mm nonlethal) we'd have to engineer with the gun....which is literally just a straight copy of an existing launcher, though I can't remember the name.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2017, 12:33:30 pm »

We'll want a Chamber of our sticky stuff, it's been ridiculously effective

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2017, 12:35:13 pm »

Not enough in a 40mm grenade. Especially not with the thin layer you might get, at best, from the blast.

Much better to just HOSE them down and be done. This is for those pesky buggers at longish range.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:53 pm »

Figured I'd do this now while I'm thinking about it.

Safety Margin
Built along the lines of modern military equipment, this 6-round revolver-style 40mm grenade launcher fires semi-automatically, can be manually set to a specific chamber (Allows multiple loads: i.e., silver frag in chamber 5, and you've loaded HEAT in Chamber 1, and there's a werewolf right there. This system allows you to just rotate backwards two chambers and pull the trigger), and utilizes a variety of ammunition, including HE, HEAT, incendiary---white phosphorus or napalm, something that doesn't stop burning--- fragmentation, silver-based fragmentation, a nonlethal riot-control-style solid rubber shot, and a flare round. The detonate on impact or timer. All the grenades can be thrown by hand if necessary, detonating on timer.

----Most of these grenades we could literally get straight off the international market, but the fun ones (Silver, the extra-nasty incendiary, and possibly the 40mm nonlethal) we'd have to engineer with the gun....which is literally just a straight copy of an existing launcher, though I can't remember the name.

You probably mean the Milkor MGL, and that suffers from the same issue as the Prom long ago:

The Prom has a bit too many special ammos for one design phase. Its a bit late at night to write up a concrete rule change, but in general you could make the design with the explosive and buckshot ammunition just fine. The rest would need to be separate ammunition. This doesn't apply to things like the Lodestone, were the special ammunition is what is getting all the attention.

As a quick explanation of special ammunition rules: Basically they act like a separate piece of equipment. You don't run out of them and there is no "bullet counting", but they can only equip one soldier at a time. A soldier can carry multiple special ammunition at once, and switch between them as needed.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:28 pm »

Ummm..... the focus is the ammunition, and the Milkor (Thank you!) is just the delivery system. And, as mentioned, none of this is a technological revolution, except for the weird but easily possible silver frag ammo. I mean, I could stand to lose HEAT, incendiary, and riot control for the first run. However, frag is so common it'd be ludicrous to go without it, and silver frag is just swapping what part of the grenade is made out of. Flare can also go.

Could we get the launcher and just one variant of ammunition? Frag (Standard, literally no reason why you wouldn't buy a couple dozen and bring them along) and silver frag (Because werewolves are a problem). All others we can get later.

Otherwise, well, guess we're only getting HE and fragmentation?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2017, 01:54:44 pm »

Ummm..... the focus is the ammunition, and the Milkor (Thank you!) is just the delivery system. And, as mentioned, none of this is a technological revolution, except for the weird but easily possible silver frag ammo. I mean, I could stand to lose HEAT, incendiary, and riot control for the first run. However, frag is so common it'd be ludicrous to go without it, and silver frag is just swapping what part of the grenade is made out of. Flare can also go.

Could we get the launcher and just one variant of ammunition? Frag (Standard, literally no reason why you wouldn't buy a couple dozen and bring them along) and silver frag (Because werewolves are a problem). All others we can get later.

Otherwise, well, guess we're only getting HE and fragmentation?

The problem isn't technological feasibility, its how much effort you would need to put in the design/game balance. For example, it is technologically possible to make a modular rifle with a variety of stocks, receivers, sights, scopes....barrels, under-barrel grenade launchers and shotguns (that can both be moved and used separately if necessary) so that it can be used as an assault rifle, submachine gun, sniper rifle, machine gun, and whatever else depending on how it is configured, but that would be too much effort for one turn.

Grenade launcher with frag/silver flag is acceptable, but having silver as one of your primary ammunitions will make the project a bit more expensive.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2017, 01:57:26 pm »

Well, yeah. My problem is that, without a revision action, it seems to be too much to use designs for ammo. It seems far more logical to include the ammo. Heck, even just make us pay separately for ammo, that'd work too. The problem is, like I said, burning an entire design action on ammo feels like something that's going to set us behind on keeping up with the creatures.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 02, 2017, 11:00:36 am »

The slow march of games being updated progress continues!

The research towards Spectral Sensors/Project P.O.L.A.R.O.I.D. starts off slow-but yields fruit by the end. All currently captive extranormal entities have different signatures in the electromagnetic spectrum that allow them to be identified, though it would not assist in identifying unknown creatures. The werewolf's increased metabolism gives it a blatant infrared signature while the Zombies seem to give off long-range radio waves at set periods. An unexpected discovery was made nearing the end of the development process. The observation machines, including the Oversights, seem to vibrate lightly whenever observing supernatural phenomena. This was initially overlooked as a natural part of the machines, but one attentive researcher noted that the effects were not present when used to observe normal human subjects. Research suggests it is caused by a type of supernatural radiation dubbed "Aura". Further research had developed the tools necessary to read this radiation purposefully, in addition to tools that would allow humans to "see" aura even through mundane obstacles. The radiation seems to be present even on the corpses and inanimate objects recovered at the scenes. Current and future sensor technology will be more effective!

Phase 1 Round 4
Design phase
90R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:

Current Technology:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/4
« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2017, 04:47:41 pm »

Well an upgraded oversight with a visor display would be nice, as would a short-ranged weapon, probably a shotgun for stopping power rather than a submachinegun. Or we could try a pneumatic melee weapon of some sort?

Prom-P.D.a-004 "[insert first name suggestion here]"
A cut-resistant sleeve-and-glove attached to a forearm shield designed to withstand the worst that a werewolf could do to it, with healthy safety margins, based on current observations, with special focus put onto the arm-in-a-mouth scenario. A sturdy double-sided non-conductive 30cm knife extends from the shield with armour on the back of the hand to protect against the knife. A pressure-sensor discharges a 5-round semiautomatic solid-slug along the blade of the knife if it receives a large force depressing it into or pushing it out of its moorings, such as if it stabs into a bone with intent to kill or something grabs the blade and violently thrashes it, but not so much is it is used in a slashing motion...

Prom-M.W.-004 "Axemore"
This is a large, two-handed waraxe with a somewhat shallow blade to discourage sticking. Within the handle there is a trigger mechanisms and within the head there is a 16-round magazine of rounds with flat disk bullets. These discharge to produce a strong recoil effect on the axehead allowing an experienced wielder to pull off otherwise-impossible manoeuvres in combat while the flat bullets generally lose the vast majority of their energy prior to colliding with anything and their shape is ill-suited to penetration.

There! Two terrible melee weapons for us to ignore in favour of a shotgun or grenade.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 42