Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 719520 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Methiantese Civil War! Turn 1!
« Reply #3195 on: November 18, 2017, 06:58:23 pm »

I am of the general opinion that we shouldn't look at each other's cards by the way. It doesn't seem very fair or logical. Of course, no way to prove anyone did or did not so that'd be sorta honor system.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: November 18, 2017, 08:24:20 pm »

I am of the general opinion that we shouldn't look at each other's cards by the way. It doesn't seem very fair or logical. Of course, no way to prove anyone did or did not so that'd be sorta honor system.

I will be looking at all the turn three cards and arguing for whichever side has the means to throw the game to do so. I'd rather this not go past turn three, and my preference as to who wins is not all that great.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: November 18, 2017, 08:29:32 pm »

Yeah, but Cript is playing to win and did look :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: November 18, 2017, 09:33:48 pm »

Weirdsound brings up a point – by my count this is the last round free of permanent harm.

Shall the Loyalists consider Option Zed: lay down arms? Is it Cyl we're fighting for, or the good of the country when a usurper has arisen? "Good of the country" has broad connotations.

For my own part, I would say yes if and only if I had assurances that the write up would be something like: the fifteen year old boy man silently advances between the lines at noon, knowing that history demands his head as the price of peace. Knowing that his honor and his hasty oath of service place his country and his father's country far above his short life. And knowing that while he martyrs himself here the womenfolk will escape abroad, denying the foreigners and usurpers their true passion.

The Pretenders never had a case against Cyl, only accusations against Segeda. I want to see those upset as a condition of appeasing the insurrection. Let them feast on their bile, wondering if she will return. (Ironically, if they truly believe those aspersions, they are perhaps more likely to see any hidden truth revealed in the initial biography and/or further events when Cyl becomes the Player Character.)

Failing such a guarantee, I am prepared to risk one round of extended harm, then decide from there. Technically, after all, we have the stronger battle position at the moment. Just not as much as the cards we used could have given us.

Also, this round is Autumn. Cyl's birthday is Mid-Spring, so he is officially old enough to rule in his own right.

Uncle Luath,

I can guess your answer yet honor and decency compel me to ask: once you promised to stand aside so I might inherit Father's legacy, will you now abide by that vow as I come to my majority?

It would be easier to ask if I were in a position of strength, I suppose. Indeed, even of weakness so that I could claim the bravery of desperation. My councils tell me I am winning, having held the battlefield so far, but I can read a map and I see our respective positions little changed. How much longer this might drag out I cannot know, nor, Uncle, can you.

I suppose your disdain of Mother must have played no small part in your decision. I know of her undiplomatic nature; indeed I have suffered her venom more often and more keenly than most through the years. Even you, Uncle, received but a part of what I heard day by day. In my upbringing she enforced upon me the elements of courtesy toward my elders, but it is from Father and from you, Uncle, that I learned to respect them. When Father sent her away, I hoped to see more of you but still you never appeared in our apartments. I tell you, fear not that Mother will have undue influence in my court, if that is what alarms you: I intend to give her a similar treatment for similar reasons of state.

If it is money that drives you, well, I can make no promises there that you would believe. Yet even as you piled up the nation's treasury I did not think you more loyal to gold than to the people. The stories I hear have greatly alarmed my good opinion of you on that score. Do not prove them true.

Your nephew,
Cyl, Heir Ascendant to the Throne of Methiant

A postscript in my own hand, Uncle, that I dar'st not entrust to the scribes: I can vouch for my own experience that I never knew Mother to engage in magickal arts of any hue; but if your many allegations of witchery were amended to be spelt with a 'b' then we should be in total agreement.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:40:09 pm by mightymushroom »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: November 18, 2017, 09:43:13 pm »

This is the last turn we can go without damage, yeah, but I think most of the loyalists are of the mind that significant damage would be done by the pretenders winning. I don't actually know what argument they have against the loyalists at this point, in terms of what it'd do to the country. Besides the (still utterly arbitrary) accusations of witchery and illegitimacy (when Yoe II himself acknowledged Cyl's legitimacy)
Sigtext!

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: November 18, 2017, 09:46:46 pm »

At this point as a Loyalist it is Cyl I'm fighting for. I've sworn my vote to him and I would vote we fight and die for him til the last. Honor demands it!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:49:50 pm by Prophet »
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: November 18, 2017, 10:11:24 pm »

You say it's arbitrary, but it's apparently good enough to have thrown half the country against Cyl.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: November 18, 2017, 10:12:41 pm »

Ignorant peasants will believe what they will believe  :P
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: November 18, 2017, 10:14:55 pm »

I would personally agree to back Cyl's claim if you can present a DNA test.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: November 18, 2017, 10:15:08 pm »

Ignorant peasants will believe what they will believe  :P
So will ignorant voters who willfully blind themselves to the best course for Methiant.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: November 18, 2017, 10:22:08 pm »

I know we're anachronistically scientifically oriented but that's a bit of a stretch :P

You say it's arbitrary, but it's apparently good enough to have thrown half the country against Cyl.

They literally are, you guys just started calling Segeda evil out of nowhere at some point, and I don't even know the reasons for saying Cyl is illegitimate (when legally yes, he is) or evil (like actually what)
Sigtext!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:12 pm »

I don't even know the reasons for saying Cyl is illegitimate (when legally yes, he is) or evil (like actually what)
This is a monarchy, so illegitimate == evil. And we suspect he might be (factually, regardless of legally) illegitimate, which means he cannot be permitted to take the throne. The risk of someone without royal blood taking the throne is inconceivable.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: November 18, 2017, 10:45:12 pm »

The real story? Segeda seemed to dislike Yoe, stayed away from him, hung out with strange people, had tons of kids despite this, and at one point started to shun him and then suddenly he was cursed by SOME WITCH SOMEWHERE THAT WE NEVER FOUND OUT BUT ONCE THE CURSE WAS LIFTED WE SENT HER AWAY AND IT WAS NEVER A PROBLEM AGAIN. Certainly she was also a bitch to Luath and the fact that she's wormed her way back into power directly after Yoes death is extremely upsetting.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: November 18, 2017, 10:48:49 pm »

I don't recall it being a curse so much as insanity from you guys' actual obsession with wizards. If you guys hadn't taken the "FIND A WIZARD" option (that was literally added as a troll), he'd have been fine.

Also, again - I don't think it'd have been so ambiguous if Cyl was really illegitimate. It'd have been more a "I know he's illegitimate but we're going to lie to secure rule" than a "I'm pretty sure he's mine so let's go with this".

Also-also, going off the cards, Cyl has the popular support - which would be quite important, especially after a civil war. If the unpopular candidate wins, you're looking at a lasting insurgency from loyalists - which in a time like this is the last thing you want.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:55:37 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: November 18, 2017, 11:43:22 pm »

This is a monarchy, so illegitimate == evil. And we suspect he might be (factually, regardless of legally) illegitimate, which means he cannot be permitted to take the throne. The risk of someone without royal blood taking the throne is inconceivable.
What kind of backward, twisted monarchy do you live in? They change hands all the time. Yoe I was a first generation king, for crying out loud. What matters is that the ruler have the mandate of heaven and various signs of backing from the gods. Luath's backing is from the western expansionists.

Arguably the first sign of insanity was the phantom 'assassin' that looked exactly like dead Gedavina, of whom nobody else ever found a trace: long before Segeda showed up. The rest is built out of mild, half-baked and never investigated suspicions reported in the narration of Yoe's own thoughts, later proved to be suspect. Even the bit about hanging out with strangers was entirely an unconfirmed "rumor" – the Segeda we met kept staidly to herself in the library – if not the product of Yoe's diseased mind hearing what did not exist. The insanity was cured and our first act afterward was to send her out of the story. You Pretenders defy justice and logic by claiming the lack of evidence as your bastard "proof" and pretending the onus is on her to refute an empty set!

Surely if you are so concerned about royal blood you have positive proof of Queen Auga's constancy. We submit a sample to the same service. :P
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:59:44 pm by mightymushroom »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1087