Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 745478 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Cyl I of Methiant!
« Reply #9375 on: April 02, 2018, 08:42:26 am »

I really don't think we need to piss off the nobility right now.

Besides, the correct heir is already our heir right now.

Still, there's something to be said for not having to worry about dynastic continuation at all (possibly ever again). We could elect our Albionese daughter-in-law as queen if we wanted to, or King Erik of Cydwyl, or whoever else seems appropriate as it comes up. I'm guessing Haspen will do it similarly to the Succession Council decisions and I've always enjoyed those.

And it'd let us shit on our few remaining sons one last time if we passed it, so there's that. Tempted to change my vote just to do that, but budgetary concerns for the moment seem more important.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:45:34 am by Harry Baldman »

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: April 02, 2018, 08:45:50 am »

Elective Succession I mean Cyl pretty much does this anyway. Though my support is still with the little Houlandin III in the making.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:24 am »

someone can count our budget again? I got lost right now how much money we are losing/gaining after we lost to rucus

Sometimes I think I'm the only person besides Haspen who tracks this. Rucus we negotiated down monetary payments to a simple peace with Evalian autonomy.
Spoiler: (unofficial) Budget (click to show/hide)
(We stayed at 1 over the course of the previous year when glasswares failed to sell.)

I only recall the bit where Haspen said it was a yearly drain, does anyone have a link to where he says it doesn't cost anything at cap? Because if that's the case, yeah, settlement policy would be the sensible choice instead.

It's not really been said outright, only indirectly alluded, but by paying attention to the numbers you can see it happen.

Issue the Bill of Rights
I know this is not likely to win right now. But I don't care for the alternatives currently discussed. Bill of Rights sounds as though it is happiness insurance: we have a chance to avoid losing happiness in any given situation because the peasants have a sense of security that they would not otherwise feel. To those worried about masses demanding even greater rights, I would answer that the flip side is greater patriotism and attachment to their homeland. It's a political challenge, but I believe we can steer through the Renaissance.

Elective succession says outright it will upset nobles, our happiness is low and going lower from high taxes. Guaranteed revolts this year.
Settlement Policy is not a yearly drain but it creates pop-ups that can't be anticipated by the budget committee. This needs gold in the vault to work properly.
Revoking the recruitment offices is not particularly necessary at this time if we continue to practice fiscal restraint until Orcworld construction completes. (It will help if the fur trade does well, which is yet unknown.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:34:47 am by mightymushroom »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: April 02, 2018, 09:17:52 am »

Elective Succession I mean Cyl pretty much does this anyway. Though my support is still with the little Houlandin III in the making.
Didn't that get made already? I'm pretty sure it was a son who is now the heir? Did I confuse it with another baby somewhere?

Oh, wait, as I hit the post button I realised you might mean "currently growing up" by "in the making".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: April 02, 2018, 09:20:14 am »

Sometimes I think I'm the only person besides Haspen who tracks this.

You probably are, because so long as you're doing it, no one else needs to put in the work!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: April 02, 2018, 09:21:54 am »

It's not really been said outright, only indirectly alluded, but by paying attention to the numbers you can see it happen.

I dunno, there's a lot of unknown quantities in that there budget. Don't think I'm entirely convinced without confirmation from Haspen.

Side note, would be useful to actually have a tally of income and expenditure as part of the report (you know, to have some hard numbers to work with) so we don't have to play an entire metagame of budget tracking, but maybe that's part of the gameplay vision somehow.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: April 02, 2018, 09:24:20 am »

I dunno, there's a lot of unknown quantities in that there budget. Don't think I'm entirely convinced without confirmation from Haspen.

Side note, would be useful to actually have a tally of income and expenditure as part of the report (you know, to have some hard numbers to work with) so we don't have to play an entire metagame of budget tracking, but maybe that's part of the gameplay vision somehow.
I believe the only unknown quantity in the budget is the thing we haven't started yet, the fur trade. Although other things have random rolls, we know what those rolls were and can therefore work out the details.

I'm 99% sure that "you don't see the ledgers, just the Number Scrolls" is the heart of the SPAM system.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:50 am »

Bill of Rights.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:49:31 am by Lucus Casius »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: April 02, 2018, 09:31:23 am »

Our Treasury recovered somewhat, especially after we had to lay off some recruiters; the influx of men they create couldn't be paid by the Treasury.

Here is the most official reference that we don't pay for recruiters at the army cap. As I said, run the numbers yourself if you want to verify the (lack of) cost, or else you can take my word for it.

Edit: removed the question marks on the recruitment line that had snuck in during the process. I am satisfied with my calculations.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:38:55 am by mightymushroom »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:10 am »

I believe the only unknown quantity in the budget is the thing we haven't started yet, the fur trade. Although other things have random rolls, we know what those rolls were and can therefore work out the details.

I'm 99% sure that "you don't see the ledgers, just the Number Scrolls" is the heart of the SPAM system.

I think it's mostly just an artifact of the days when the income/expenditure system was a lot simpler than it is right now, or alternatively Haspen just hasn't thought that much about communicating the mechanical changes to us kind of like the Edicts were needlessly obfuscated as well.

Fair enough on the unknown quantities however, although with the Passage Tax it's not infeasible that we could actually be operating the fur trade at a loss compared to just selling the gemstones locally.

Our Treasury recovered somewhat, especially after we had to lay off some recruiters; the influx of men they create couldn't be paid by the Treasury.

Here is the most official reference that we don't pay for recruiters at the army cap. As I said, run the numbers yourself if you want to verify the (lack of) cost, or else you can take my word for it.

Well in that case

Enact Dat Settlement Policy!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: April 02, 2018, 09:41:59 am »

Enact Settlement Policy
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: April 02, 2018, 09:51:30 am »

Sometimes I think I'm the only person besides Haspen who tracks this.

In my defense, I used to keep track...

but sometimes I get lost in my own house

and it's small

I don't remember where the hell are my notes
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: April 02, 2018, 10:15:47 am »

I don't mind doing it, it's just that I'm not always online to post.

There was one year during the dwarf tribute we got a one-time windfall, I don't recall exactly what. People saw the economy number and splurged even though our base "income" was negative. We could have coasted, instead the next year we were doing emergency cuts again.

Dirty little secret? I haven't been keeping perfect updates either, things have been going smoothly with few changes so I just match the scrolls to my head figures and call it good enough. The written form is on demand; my previous notes were for 1153. This year with the trade stuff happening was a good time to ask.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: April 02, 2018, 10:28:54 am »

Oh yeah, this means that I got Economy rating wronk ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: April 02, 2018, 11:32:35 am »

Oh yeah, this means that I got Economy rating wronk ;v

This is a situation where it feels traitorous to argue, but why? I reviewed before publishing and everything added up on my end.

Take out the Extra Tax in my 1159 budget (we didn't vote it last year) and it's +1. Take out the prospective glassware and it's zero.

Everything else should be the same – we sent the gemstones north last year but haven't received furs back yet. I didn't include a number for furs because guessing.
I didn't see any incidental expenses or incomes along the way.

Late Edit: Nevermind, I was going over it again and I see I left off the Religion Tax. OOPS.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:17:51 pm by mightymushroom »
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 1087