Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade with hostile civilisations  (Read 1032 times)

Alwa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trade with hostile civilisations
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »

I know that Toady has talked about revamping the justice and crime system sometime in the future. At this point, it might be fun to add trading caravan from hostile civilisation that can visit your site in Fortress Mode. They would be branded as smuggler and interacting with them would not further improve or deteriorate relation with the parent civilisation of the smugglers.

I know it has been posted somewhere in an old suggestion as well, but it might also be cool if noble trade ban could somewhat be bypass with the help of smugglers.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trade with hostile civilisations
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:44:54 am »

I think this is a good idea, but there should be a definite price hike & small supply of goods on offer. It should probably also be negotiated to be a crime, in any which case smuggling will probably end up being outlawed by the dwarves & elves (no smuggled steel weapons or secrets outwards)

Alternatively in a position like dwarves you could have sanctioned smugglers, ( [ETHIC:SMUGGLING:ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED] )as to say that a tavern guest approaches your mayor/leader with a "proposition" to create a contract to smuggle officially, but any behaviour outside of that will be akin to stealing & still punishable by the law, so its only the import of goods rather than illicitly supplying outwards.

Some of these goods should also carry the risk of being stolen by the smugglers (also dealing in other illicit goods, taboo objects are omitted from their lists), and if its of any significant value the owner might come back for it.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 06:08:56 pm »

This raises the possibility of turning your fort into a smuggler's haven. Both recieving and sending out smuggler caravans. Who knows, maybe your parent civilization gets word of this and decides to send in the army to sieze your illicit goods, and either deposing the current ruler or shutting down the place altogether.
If this ever happens, I see it as very late down the line. But I definitively see it as possible.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:24:32 pm »

This raises the possibility of turning your fort into a smuggler's haven. Both recieving and sending out smuggler caravans. Who knows, maybe your parent civilization gets word of this and decides to send in the army to sieze your illicit goods, and either deposing the current ruler or shutting down the place altogether.
this reminds me of playing pharaoh and if you didn't pay your tribute the pharaoh and his army would personally come to kill you...
sounds like it would be pretty fun in dwarf fortress if the king decided you've had your chance and now you must die though.
(He would probably mandate slade crafts or something hehe)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:51:17 pm »

this reminds me of playing pharaoh and if you didn't pay your tribute the pharaoh and his army would personally come to kill you...
sounds like it would be pretty fun in dwarf fortress if the king decided you've had your chance and now you must die though.
(He would probably mandate slade crafts or something hehe)
Kinda like in RTW when the Senate tells you to either have your faction leader commit suicide or go to war with them. Maybe if the monarch has had enough of your shit, they'll send an emissary giving you some ridiculous (though not impossible, this is DF, after all) demand, and if you don't manage to accomplish it, they'll siege you.
Maybe if you win the siege your fort and the surrounding deep and hill dwarf communities whenever Toady adds them in would become a new civilization, who knows.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 10:26:33 am »

I really like this idea. When the player chooses to trade with smugglers I think the fortress law enforcement should be in on it, but if the word got out to the home civilization it would mean sanctions to the fortress.

Even more so, I think the dwarves should trade with smugglers on their own. A dwarf trading his socks for a visiting goblins troll fur loincloth would be a nice petty crime for the justice system to deal with.