Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: To Glory! | "Cooperative" RTD (ANYONE CAN JOIN!) The Kraken  (Read 26129 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

TO GLORY!

"Welcome, new adventurers! I am your indoctrination *cough* I mean... introduction agent... for your new job. Words cannot describe how suicidal *cough* I mean... spectacular it is that you chose this line of work. We are always short of fresh meat *cough* I mean... fresh members."

-awkward pause-

"Aww, to hell with this damn sugar-coating. This is my first time at this position, because the last guy was eaten by a troll. For some ungodly reason, you volunteered for the Fearless Society. We kill monsters, and people pay us money... Well, you kill monsters, and the higher-ups get the money... Regardless, welcome to your orientation. Through that door, is all the gear you will need to start your monster-fighting dreams. And through that other door is a room with a big portal. When a suitably valuable monster starts wreaking havoc, our magicians will open a portal to it's location, you all will go in there, and try to kill it. Some of you... Most of you... Actually... All of you are highly likely to die. And good thing too, we can't afford to pay all of you. If you make it out alive, consider yourself hired. Also, feel free to take any loot that catches your eye, as long as it is not from the employers. To Glory!"

What is this?

This is a "cooperative" RTD where each person controls their own character, and they all try to complete the same objective: slay the monster. There is no limit to the number of characters in play at a time, and if your person dies, you can just create a new one and join back in the same fight. Hopefully, there will always be a trickle of new characters to join in on the battle as other characters die. Even though you all share the objective of slaying the monster, you can act however you want. You can even attack your teammates if you desire. (more loot for you!)

How does it work?

Non-Combat Actions

All non-combat actions will be using a standard RTD ruleset:
1: colossal failure
2: failure
3: neutral
4: success
5: epic success
6: TOO MUCH SUCCESS!

However, the relative "difficulty" of the action will alter the results, with more difficult actions requiring a 5 to succeed, and easier actions requiring a 1 to fail. This comes down to my judgement

Combat actions

Combat actions (actions that do damage to your target) follow a similar, but more precise ruleset:
1: miss, and target gets free attack on you.
2: miss
3: half damage
4: full damage
5: critical hit, double damage
6: double damage, but -1 to your next roll

In both combat and non-combat actions, modifiers can alter the result of the roll, and certain attacks naturally have modifiers on them. Generally, stronger attacks have negative modifiers, while weaker attacks have positive modifiers. A natural 1 or 6 will not be affected by modifiers, and modifiers cannot move a roll down to a 1, or up to a 6. If you roll a 2, a negative modifier will not result in a 1. But if you roll a natural 1, any positive modifier will not change the roll.

Range
In combat, an attack can be either adjacent, or distance. An adjacent attack cannot be used if the target is at a distance. A ranged attack may be used if the target is at a distance, or adjacent. But if the opponent is adjacent, any ranged attack will have a -2 modifier.

Free Attacks
If an attacker rolls a 1, the target gets a free attack on the attacker. However, if the attacker is at a distance, the target may only hit them with a ranged attack. If they have no ranged attack, there will be no retaliation.

Classes:
You will pick a class in your character sheet. The three possible classes are Warrior, Archer, and Mage. They each have strengths and weaknesses. Warriors have high damage and defense, but must be right next to the target. Archers can shoot at range with medium damage, but have medium defense. Mages can shoot at range, and ignore armor, but have low damage and low defense. Details for each class can be seen in the spoilers.
Spoiler: Warrior (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Archer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: mage (click to show/hide)

How do Turns Work?

Each turn, a character gets one non-combat action, and one combat action. The non-combat action will usually be used to get into position, but it can be for anything within reason (eg. No ascending to godhood etc.) The combat action will be used to attack your target. The monsters you will be tasked with fighting will have separate body parts, each with it's own function and health. Different body parts will be responsible for different attacks and abilities. Lowering a specific body part to 0 will cause any attacks and abilities associated with that body part to cease. During your turn, you will select an attack from your class, and target a character, or a monster body part. All player attacks will go off at the same time, and any 1's will allow the target to retaliate. Then the monster will get a turn. The monster will attack certain players based on certain aspects of the last turn. That can be seen in the spoiler:

Experience

For every damage you do, you gain experience points (1 damage = 1 experience point) Once you reach a certain threshold, you will level up. This will immediately fully heal you, increase the damage on your attacks, and increase your maximum HP. It will also unlock new attacks, armor, and abilities after the fight. The specifics of how much HP and damage increases is in the spoiler:
Spoiler: exp details (click to show/hide)

Loot
At the end of a fight, once a monster has been defeated, the total damage your character has done to the monster (seen in the character sheet spoiler) will be equal to your "share" of the loot. You must be adjacent to the monster's corpse to pick up your loot (done with a non-combat action) then you must go through the portal back to the hubworld. Once you are through the portal, you are safe, but in the battlefield, you can attack other characters, and if you kill them, you gain their entire share of the loot. Additionally, if somebody is not quick enough to pick up their loot from the corpse, you can spend another Non-combat action to take their loot as well. You can also use threats diplomacy to take loot from someone, while letting them live (if they agree). It is your choice on whether you are peaceful, or ruthless.

Character Sheet
Here is where you pour out your heart to create the perfect character. Or you just fill in the required lines to get in the game. Your choice. Your character is probably going to die, so don't become too attached to them.
Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. You can join at any time, even during the fight. If you die, just make a new character and rejoin the fray. Once a couple people join, I'll reveal the first monster, and the fight shall begin.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:08:49 pm by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Glory! | "Cooperative" RTD (Anyone Can Join!!)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:22:44 pm »

Dude, I am so in. Sheet incoming.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »

(Moved from Forum Games and Roleplaying. I meant to put it here, and didn't realise my mistake until now.)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:33:56 pm »

Name: Saraket

Description: Sand elemental, wears a blindfold, has glass shards for hair

Backstory: If he has one, he's not sharing it

Reason for joining the Fearless Society: Boredom

Class: Archer

Any additional information: I get the impression that it would be kinda hard to do any lasting damage to him, considering he is, well, a sandstorm in the shape of a person.
Also: nice to see the successor to Brittan! I'm thinking I'll get Respawn to show up after I die. He'll be confused...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:39:56 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:27 pm »

I will probably regret this but here is my first character.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 1

"Well, why are you all just standing there? Get your gear, get equipped. Those monsters aren't going to slay themselves."

-awkward pause-

"You know what, if you want to just stand there, go ahead. We've locked the doors behind you, and we won't let you out until the monster is dead. Good luck materializing food out of thin air."

*bwooooouuuuup* A large purple circle opens in the portal room.

"OH! It seems the portal has opened up! It seems like a mining operation in the middle of nowhere breached into a Minotaur labyrinth. I'll let you guys deal with that, and check on the survivors afterward. Whenever you're ready, go through. I'll be waiting in the break room.
To Glory!"

A small purple portal appears in front of your introduction worker. He steps through, and the portal closes. All that is left is the ragtag group of frightened adventurer want-to-be's standing still. None of them want to go first. However, one sand elemental makes the first move, heading towards the armory. In the most edgy, I-don't-give-a-fuck voice possible, you hear him say "Guess we're stuck with this job..." before gliding into the armory. One other person took a step forward, but stopped. It seemed like they were the type of person to commit to something, but then spend days pondering it. The sand elemental, named Saraket, came out with an archer's gear, then stepped through the portal in a laissez faire fashion. The rest of the people in the room just watched intently...

-Meanwhile-

Saraket found himself outside, next to the base of a small plateau. Inside the wall of the plateau, a large tunnel was bored down into the earth. All around was mining equipment, loose rocks, and a large piles of gangue and scrap. Right in the entrance of the tunnel, there was the Minotaur.

It was twice the size of an average man, and three times as wide. Its legs were massive, as thick as a tree, and they ended with thick hooves. The arms were just as thick, but slightly shorter. The arms ended with human hands, but with talons in place of nails. It's body was ripped, thick, and filled with muscles. But it was also covered with ancient metal plating. It's head was that of a bull, with long, curved horns swooping forward. It's head was also armored in an ancient, metal helmet. The entire body was covered with thick mats of fur, with the hair even poking through the gaps in the armor plating. This would be a tough fight.

Suddenly, a literal ninja appeared. A small, armor-clad girl appeared. Sally seemed like a warrior, but no doubt she was a ninja. Her movements could be no other. It seems that Saraket was not alone after all!

Attacks

Adventurers:

none

Minotaur:

none

Minotaur

Status

Head HP: 300/300 (armored) (too high for adjacent attacks unless both legs are destroyed)
Body HP: 500/500 (armored)
Right arm HP: 150/150
Left arm HP: 150/150
Right Leg HP: 200/200
Left Leg HP: 200/200

To Immobalize: Reduce Left leg or right leg HP to 0.
To Kill: Reduce Body or Head HP to 0.

Attacks
Spoiler: attacks (click to show/hide)

Adventurers

Alive: Saraket, Sally

Dead: none
Spoiler: alive character sheets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: dead character sheets (click to show/hide)

Turn Template

Either fill in this template, or submit your turn using your own methods. Just make sure all the information is present.

Spoiler: turn template (click to show/hide)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:31:25 pm by origamiscienceguy »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »

aww. ziizo, you ninja'd me. I'll edit you in real quickly...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:53 pm »

Saraket:
Find a proper sniping position
Take a shot at the minotaur's kneecap, to cripple it
Jus' doing my job.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:37:22 pm »

"FOR GLORY!!!"

Sally
charges at the Minotaur
 Heavy Strike at it's legs

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:21:18 am by ziizo »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:38:29 pm »

I hope this is acceptable.

Werther stands awkwardly for a moment, then sees the crowd pick its target and rushes forward with a theatrical roar.

Run up and Light Attack a leg that one of the other two damages. If they both miss go for the right.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:56:12 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: To Glory! | "Cooperative" RTD (Anyone Can Join!!) Fight a Minotaur!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 03:01:32 am »

Try to hide somewhere in the dark
Shoot minotaur in the back.

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:11 am »

Turn 2

Back in the Fearless Society orientation room, a few more people were trickling into the armory. The one guy who was contemplating still stood frozen in place, unable to decide. But others made the first step! A dinosaur named Werther trotted into the armory, and came out with misshaped pieces of metal tossed on top of its body. As Werther ran into the portal, the armor pieces fell of one by one, until he was as if he didn't put any on at all. Without hesitation, Werther ran into the portal.

Another animal took action, this time, a Labrador dog. The dog galloped into the armory, and came out with a bow and quiver in its mouth. The whole crowd collectively said "aww" at the sight. It was the cutest thing anybody could possibly witness. The dog, named Burklaif, ran full speed into the portal as well.

-Meanwhile-

back at the mining site, the fight begins.

Attacks

Adventurers:

Saraket:
NCA: Move to sniping postition (2)
You attempt to climb up a pile of gravel and gangue to get a height advantage, but the gravel slips under your boots, and you make no progress.
CA: Fire arrow at right kneecap (3)
You fire an arrow at the Minotaur, initiating the battle. The arrow flies slightly wobbly, but still embeds itself into the Minotaur's calf. Blood comes dripping out of the wound, dying his fur a dark crimson, but you can tell that it is not a crippling wound. The Minotaur roars in pain, then looks straight at you.
30 damage to right leg

Sally:
NCA: Charge at Minotaur (3)
You charge at the Minotaur, but stumble slightly over the loose rocks all over the mining site. You make it to the Minotaur, but not in any spectacular fashion.
CA: Heavy strike on right leg (6-1=6)
You bring your broadsword as high as you can make it, the bring it down with all your strength. It cuts into the upper leg, shears through the quadriceps, until it is stopped by the bone. You hear a crunch, meaning that the Femur was fractured by your slash. Blood comes spraying out of the wound, painting you maroon, and forming a puddle under his leg. However, your sword became stuck in the leg. The Minotaur sees this, and retaliates, ignoring the pain.
160 damage to right leg
Level Up!

Free attack: Bull charge (4-1=3)
The Minotaur Buts his head down, and runs at Sally. She ducks under the deadly horns, but is still trampled. The Minotaur roars in agony by using his mutilated leg to do so, but accepts the pain as a challenge.
80 damage to Sally

Werther:
NCA: Run up to Minotaur (1)
You run full speed, then trip, and fall on your face. Your tail points straight up as you slide along the gravel. You are not seriously injured, but dust and dirt get in your eyes.
-1 to next turn rolls

Burklaif:
NCA: Hide somewhere dark (6)
You find a formation of rocks that blocks all light so perfectly, that your brain momentarily shuts down from confusion. You spend so long getting your bearings straight, that you are unable to attack. But you are very well hidden.
-1 to all attacks against you while you stay in this location.

Minotaur:

NCA: none
CA: Kick Sally (5)
The Minotaur stands on its good leg, then quick as lightning, it twitches its severely wounded leg at sally. The kick goes clean through her petite figure, and launches her a good distance away. Her limp body falls near the portal, with a foot-wide hole through her chest. She doesn't move. The Minotaur roars in victory, then looks for his next target.
180 damage to Sally, Sally is dead.

Minotaur

Status

Head HP: 300/300 (armored) (too high for adjacent attacks unless both legs are destroyed)
Body HP: 500/500 (armored)
Right arm HP: 150/150
Left arm HP: 150/150
Right Leg HP: 10/200
Left Leg HP: 200/200

To Immobalize: Reduce Left leg or right leg HP to 0.
To Kill: Reduce Body or Head HP to 0.

Attacks
Spoiler: attacks (click to show/hide)

Adventurers

Alive: Saraket, Werther, Burklaif

Dead: Sally
Spoiler: alive character sheets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: dead character sheets (click to show/hide)

Turn Template

Either fill in this template, or submit your turn using your own methods. Just make sure all the information is present.

Spoiler: turn template (click to show/hide)

Refrences:

Spoiler: Warrior attacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: archer attacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: mage attacks (click to show/hide)

OOC notes

turn 2, and already the first death. Rest in Peace Sally, you were so young. Ziizo, you can create a new character if you like.

Also, make sure you specify which leg/arm you are targeting. I assumed you all wanted to target the same one.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:29 am »

Saraket
Again, try to get to a good sniping position.
Demolish that right leg with an arrow shot; it'll make everything easier.
Girl, this i' why ya don't move in close.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:40:46 am by Glass »

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 11:47:37 am »

OOC: Goodbye Sally you did pretty well for a child.

Young Johnny
Get closer to the Minotaur
Fast Strike to left arm

"I hope the fight hasn't ended yet"
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:59:41 am by ziizo »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 12:31:58 pm »

Poor Sally.

Werther gets up and approaches the minotaur.

If Saraket doesn't finish off the right leg, kick it. If he does, kick the left arm.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29