Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Lowlife, a Shadowrun RTD Mission 0: The Park Job (Sign ups still open)  (Read 10285 times)

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"There are many reasons why a man becomes a Shadowrunner in Grimdark Neo Seattle, but who gives a flying fuck anyway? I am paying you to kill someone, not drone on and on about your life story, so sit down, shut up, and let me tell you about your next target"
"Your real names are not important to me, and anyone blabbing about their real names on the job will be forcibly retired. So pick a code name, it can be any damn thing you want, and I don't particularly care if you got it off of an old cereal box or a secret language that you made up as a child and shared to no one else. Just don't expect me to not laugh when I find out that you named yourself "Freety Halfwinks" or some other weird ass name.
To put it simply you are my expendable agents, the glamorous looking foot soldiers in the many secret wars going on literally everywhere in the world. Your missions will be weird, varied, and often dangerous, One week you are facing off against Jungle commandos to get some stock footage for a weird ripoff of most Vietnamese war trids in existence, and maybe the next month we'll ship you off to good old Tokyo to retrieve a prototype di- You know what, I don't think you're ready for that one.
But look on the bright side, If you survive long enough to line your virtual pockets with yellow and spend it wisely , you may survive long enough for retirement! And probably live long enough to enjoy it for all of five weeks before some script kiddie steals your hard earned millions and spread it around to a bunch of poor people, most of whom will mysteriously be found dead next to a pile of syringes with various colorful names like "Cram" written on it."

If you know what the word Cyberpunk means, then you probably know what Shadowrun is, and like it as much as Gibson does for combining Cyberpunk with Tolkien, but before you leave....are you at all interested in a silly little RTD where the entire goal is to strive for ever greater heights with your constantly changing array of characters and watching most if not all of them die horribly before getting anywhere near the goal? Then this is the game for you.

A shorter plot hook would be that in a profession where a bunch of people do skeezy shit for untrustworthy bastards, you are the guys that do the jobs that most of them wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole even if the reward for said job was a diamond encrusted in an odd mixture of gold and platinum that is being fanned and lovingly buffed by an array of nubile shapes, the diamond can also be used as a seat.

The System: Because apparently I needed one
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Racial Options: Because I like writing fluff that won’t get read because you chose Dwarf
Although to be brutally honest you can probably skip most of that not very long section, because let’s face it you’re playing a dwarf.

Character Sheet: Because this wouldn’t work without one

Example Character Sheet: Because they’re quick and easy to make

First mission will be out the day after enough warm bodies arrive to get bullets put into them or in other words Thursday because I am free on Thursday again for some odd reason.
Also when the time comes make sure to post your sheet with your action, I do not want to shift through the thread for your shi-I mean sheet.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:04:34 am by cronos5010 »
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Lowlife: Wild flailings in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:08 am »

PTW.

And sheet later.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:10:44 pm »

This looks pretty darn interesting.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Is knowledge of Shadowrun required?
Also, is the sheet okay?

Avanti!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 02:17:08 pm »

Good stuff, chummer. How do we go about shaman/mage/adept stuff? Or are we going to do mundanes only for ease?

[spoiler = work in progress]Real Name:
Shadowrunner Handle: Muffin Man
Description:
Race:
Why: I have no intention of becoming a wageslave, omae.
Equipment:
[Formats are:  Name of Equipment: Purpose|Rating|Ammo If Applicable|Firing Mode/Modes if Applicable][/spoiler]

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »

Hmm....

Real Name: bwahahahaha!... wait, you're serious about wanting this. Yeah no.
Handle: Jack Frost
Desc.: Aloof and snide, with a distaste for other people (including his own kind); at the threshold of normal height and being tall; his skin is a sky blue and his hair is almost blindingly white (not even he remembers why this is); left-handed
Race: Elf (:D)
Why: I have zero moneys and would like that to stop having a truth value of 1
Equipment: (note: any and all spaces in the modes area represent different modes)
   Sniper Rifle w/ melee & stun mods: long-range killing & stunning, melee defense|+1|6/6|Kill Stun Polearm
   Magitech arm mesh: a mesh of brass wires covering his right arm allowing limited magic|+0|Mana bar!|Shield Magic_Missile Heal
   Hand Cannon: A really powerful pistol for when you just need that medium range|+1|20/20|Semi-auto
   Slacks & Collared shirt: I need clothing, and I want to look respectable|+0|can go unwashed for 1 week before it starts to smell|Clean Smelly
   Screwdriver, wires, and screws: Useful for tinkering with mechanical stuff|+0|I don't know where he keeps getting all of those wires and screws|Repair Dismantle Construct

NOTICE: I am still working on the equipment! This should be good
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:39:51 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:10:04 pm »

Equipment: (note: any and all spaces in the modes area represent different modes)
   Sniper Rifle w/ melee & stun mods: long-range killing & stunning, melee defense|+1|6/6|Kill Stun Polearm
   Magitech arm mesh: a mesh of brass wires covering his right arm allowing limited magic|+0|Mana bar!|Shield Magic_Missile Heal
   Hand Cannon: A really powerful pistol for when you just need that medium range|+1|20/20|Semi-auto
   Emergency rations: Because it's helpful|+0|2 meals|Lunch Dinner
   Slacks & Collared shirt: I need clothing, dude|+0|can go unwashed for 1 week before it starts to smell|Clean Smelly
   English-to-Mandarin dictionary: Allows translation between English and Mandarin Chinese|+0|4000+ words!|English Mandarin
   Screwdriver, wires, and screws: Useful for tinkering with mechanical stuff|+0|I don't know where he keeps getting all of those wires and screws|Repair Dismantle Construct
Uh, the OP says we can only have two bits of +1 gear and three of +0 gear.

Avanti!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:12:54 pm »

Emergency rations: Because it's helpful|+0|2 meals|Lunch Dinner
   Slacks & Collared shirt: I need clothing, dude|+0|can go unwashed for 1 week before it starts to smell|Clean Smelly
   English-to-Mandarin dictionary: Allows translation between English and Mandarin Chinese|+0|4000+ words!|English Mandarin
Uh, the OP says we can only have two bits of +1 gear and three of +0 gear.
[goes back to check]
Whoops, I missed the +0 restriction. I'll go ahead and fix that.
EDIT: It's fixed now.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 07:35:37 pm »

Good stuff, chummer. How do we go about shaman/mage/adept stuff? Or are we going to do mundanes only for ease?

[spoiler = work in progress]Real Name:
Shadowrunner Handle: Muffin Man
Description:
Race:
Why: I have no intention of becoming a wageslave, omae.
Equipment:
[Formats are:  Name of Equipment: Purpose|Rating|Ammo If Applicable|Firing Mode/Modes if Applicable][/spoiler]
Just make an equipment that represents a spell, since let's face it, who needs a gun or body armor when you have a spell that allows you to pretend to have those?
Edit: Also while I would love to play a round of Shadowrun: Gibson mode with you guys I fear that magic provides a new and interesting way for you to fuck up and die horribly. Also lava on fire.
This looks pretty darn interesting.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Is knowledge of Shadowrun required?
Also, is the sheet okay?
You don't really need to know much about Shadowrun to join, although I do recommend that you at least read the wiki page for decking which can be found....somewhere for fluff purposes.
Also the sheet sounds fine.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:10:55 pm by cronos5010 »

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 09:23:02 pm »

PTW
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 03:35:29 am »

Hmm....

Desc.: Aloof and snide, with a distaste for other people (including his own kind); at the threshold of normal height and being tall; his skin is a sky blue and his hair is almost blindingly white (not even he remembers why this is); left-handed
   Slacks & Collared shirt: I need clothing, and I want to look respectable|+0|can go unwashed for 1 week before it starts to smell|Clean Smelly

The main problem with that seems to be the magitech thing, you can be good with tech and be an actual wizard, but magitech equipment are highly impractical, although you can probably get away with choosing something mundane like a screwdriver to use as a foci, sort of like a wand in Harry Potter, but it can be in the shape of anything you want.
You should consider having your character get a Datajack at some point though, since I just like the mental image of a guy with a big ass fuck Polearm sniper rifle and a bunch of drones that pretty much exist to paste some opponents up close. Granted you will probably die before that happens so....
Probably going to hold off on starting this until we at least have an archetypical four man/woman team. and until I have a bigger plot hook than "Assassination of a Keytar wielding supervillain.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 05:53:07 am »

Hmm....

The main problem with that seems to be the magitech thing, you can be good with tech and be an actual wizard, but magitech equipment are highly impractical, although you can probably get away with choosing something mundane like a screwdriver to use as a foci, sort of like a wand in Harry Potter, but it can be in the shape of anything you want.
You should consider having your character get a Datajack at some point though, since I just like the mental image of a guy with a big ass fuck Polearm sniper rifle and a bunch of drones that pretty much exist to paste some opponents up close. Granted you will probably die before that happens so....
Probably going to hold off on starting this until we at least have an archetypical four man/woman team. and until I have a bigger plot hook than "Assassination of a Keytar wielding supervillain.
The mesh is the focus. It's just limited in scope for the time being. Should I remove the limitation and just make it allow magic?
I presume that calling it Magitech is the main problem... I guess that has a more specific definition in Shadowrun than what I think of.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 07:03:03 am »

Well in that case it should be fine, just remember that the mana lines covering your arms work off of the same magic tech infusion that has been stagnating for a while.
Although it really depends on whether it is an item containing a series of stored spells using alchemy. In which case your character doesn't actually need to be an Awakened to use it, although he won't be able to make new ones. Or if it is just a magical foci that your wizardly character is attuned to.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 07:17:35 am »

Well in that case it should be fine, just remember that the mana lines covering your arms work off of the same magic tech infusion that has been stagnating for a while.
Although it really depends on whether it is an item containing a series of stored spells using alchemy. In which case your character doesn't actually need to be an Awakened to use it, although he won't be able to make new ones. Or if it is just a magical foci that your wizardly character is attuned to.
Umm...
It's a limited-scope item that he tinkered together without knowing what it would do; result was magic.
I... I'm just trying to think of what it actually is. The original setting I came up with it for had it made by a mad scientist who was convinced he was a mage.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 07:37:19 am »

Spoiler: Muffin Man (click to show/hide)

How's this? If the credstick is allowed, how much nuyen can I put on it to start out with?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:05:04 am by Pancaek »

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 08:39:58 am »

Umm...
It's a limited-scope item that he tinkered together without knowing what it would do; result was magic.
I... I'm just trying to think of what it actually is. The original setting I came up with it for had it made by a mad scientist who was convinced he was a mage.
le form or something. You don't really need actual magical potential to use something that is like what you described, but you do need someone who can use the spells you have described to make it and recharge it after you have used it.

Spoiler: Muffin Man (click to show/hide)

How's this? If the credstick is allowed, how much nuyen can I put on it to start out with?
It looks fairly standard actually, can't really go wrong with a cybered up Troll Street Samurai with a fuck hueg machinegun, until you encounter a spirit and have to settle for punching it to death. I guess I should have explained the whole Magic thing more fully eh? Since no one seems to be playing an adept or a mage.
I'd say that you should have somewhere around 1,000-1,200 Nuyen since you presumably spent most of the money that you have earned in the past on that machinegun and cyberware.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:41:30 am by cronos5010 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9