Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: The Secret World - Now a F2P MMO AND a F2P aRPG?! (Combo thread goooooo)  (Read 28891 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World - Issue #2: Digging Deeper
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2012, 09:20:23 pm »

Yeah I dunno, that strikes me as the same kind of logic people use to decide 9/11 was a false flag.
Shoes...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World - Issue #2: Digging Deeper
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2012, 03:46:03 pm »

Yeah I dunno, that strikes me as the same kind of logic people use to decide 9/11 was a false flag.

Maybe, but consider for a moment.

Right now the game is selling for $30 (cheaper on sale) and no monthly fee, at all. Ignoring the drop in initial price (the $60 early adopters just helped pay back development costs) that means for $30 you get unlimited access to the whole game. So what were you paying $15 a month for before? Obviously if $30 (or less) can cover your access for (hopefully) years, that money was just 99% pure profit for funcom.

But despite the fact they were getting $15 a month pure profit from every single player, they chopped out content from the game and stuck it into a cash shop so they could sell it to you piece by piece anyway.

If you're giving them $15 for nothing every month, the least they can do is give you everything in the game. Try to justify that to me in a way that does not make them look greedy, like the sort of person who would try to sell a game they knew they were going make free in a few months just because it would make them a few extra bucks.

Edit: On the other hand, as far as I can tell they've never added gamble boxes, which are probably the single worst thing to ever hit video games, so I guess I do have to give them credit for that. The amount of money a company can make by taking advantage of people with gambling addictions is huge, and they didn't go there and I do respect them for that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:55:08 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World - Now a F2P MMO AND an F2P aRPG?!
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2017, 05:12:44 am »

So I got an itch to get back into TSW. I could have sworn I bought the game or linked it to my Steam account....but when I went to the "Ultimate Edition" store page, there was no link to install or buy it.

Puzzled I went back to the TSW website to get the client and was a little confused because all I was seeing was material for "The Secret World Legends."

Turns out Funcom is re-releasing the game, reworked as an aRPG instead of an MMO. If you've played TSW I think you could grok what that probably means: a way cut down experience meant to streamline gameplay, simplify the UI, etc...

The TSW MMO will still stay up, btw, playable but probably not getting new content very often if ever. Characters in the TSW will not transfer or exist in TSW Legends. It's a fresh character, although they've said some? clothing and stuff might carry over between accounts.

It's in beta right now and is supposed to be out this year, or something. I dunno. Maybe changing the camera angle and locking it down, and simplifying combat input and stuff will make TSW a smoother, less "buggy at eye level" game experience. I imagine it probably looks pretty good at an isometic angle, and I can't think of many fights or scenes that wouldn't work aRPG style.

But I can't help but feel like this a weird recycling of old content, a budget move to try and eke out some cash on some comparatively cheap development. I'll probably give it a look once it's out and stable, but the MMO feel is kind of the reason I still play TSW.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Can't confirm, it's just some chatter on their forums right now.

But I don't see how some quests would work in the aRPG format, at least as I envision it. So many TSW quests (especially investigations) presuppose a full 360 camera, platforming and other things. Also the speed and depth of your average aRPG is a pretty far cry from the methodical story pacing and adventuring of TSW.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:39:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]