Spearman
- 0 (0%)
Axeman
- 1 (10%)
Something else (discuss below)
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Democracy: Majority rules DF community adventurer!  (Read 4919 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Democracy: Majority rules DF community adventurer!
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »

I’m a complete noob at Dwarf Fortress (well, not completely… I have one tiny fort) and I’m creating a community story, in adventure mode, that is completely new and innovative, so this ought to be fun.

The basic idea is that this is a community adventure game, with a playthrough of Dwarf Fortress documented except at every turn of the way, every decision of the journey, I’m going to let the will of the majority be my guide.

Every single time there is a decision that needs to be made, no matter how insignificant, I will put up a poll for that decision or (more likely) ask for suggestions on the forums, a la The Littlest Cheesemaker. Then I’ll go with whatever you, the community, decides. Your votes decide where the character goes… and what we do with the bogeymen when we get to them… and what we use to bash the bogeymen in… and from which angle we bash them in… and which one we bash… and where we bash it… and so on. Shout out “Go north!” and I will literally load save, press the up key, take screenshot, copy log, and save. If we get into a fight, that means several pages of arguments on the best way to hit a troll.

Needless to say, this will take a lot of time to get anything done, but that’s part of the idea. We all get to see how this might pan out. To the best of my knowledge I don’t think anyone has done this before, but if they have, please tell me how it ended!

So let’s get started. The poll on the forums itself is for choosing the race the adventurer in question will be, if possible. In order to get results for more questions at the same time, I’m going to be using external polling services. This Google form is for voting on the world settings. Just as a starting rule, this game will be played in unmodded Dwarf Fortress and without advanced generation, otherwise the amount of choices will be too big. I would advise against Large World and/or Long History for the sake of avoiding !!computer!!.

Remember, I’m new to both DF and these forums so be sure to jeer at every little thing I get wrong! I’m talking forum etiquette, though - one of the wonders of democracy is that you can always blame someone else and once we’re in game, it’s literally all your fault. All joking aside, please correct any minor mistakes I make and if I accidentally say something insulting, rest assured that it was an accident.

My play time is somewhat slight and erratic as a result of… real-world commitments.I’ve also probably cooked my own goose by starting this right in exams week (!) so don’t be surprised if I disappear for a while. I’ll try to respond/play/post once a day.

Get started! Poll will run for 2 days or 10 votes, whichever comes first. Simple majority wins. I will submit my own vote.
Countdown to Poll Close
More detailed poll
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:12:42 pm by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Democracy: Majority rules DF community adventurer!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:03:47 pm »

A heroic stray cat would be entertaining. A heroic dragon would be better.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:19:04 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:08:24 pm »

A heroic stray cat would be entertaining.
I suspect I'm soon going to find out the downsides of democracy.

(edit)

On another note, please vote in the Google Form as well! I need more information on that too!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:10:56 pm by blueturtle1134 »
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:16:18 pm »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:18:51 pm »

PTW
Don't just watch, vote! The whole point of Democracy is a whole whopping lot of people voting!

...on another note, I'm shocked that I actually got a post to watch.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:26:41 pm »

Don't worry I voted. PTW is just the classic go to post for topics where you don't have anything to immediately input.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:46:24 pm »

Don't worry I voted. PTW is just the classic go to post for topics where you don't have anything to immediately input.
...realized that, sorry.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »

I also vote for the dragon. I can help you with modding if you want.

At minimum, you need to add these tags to them to avoid potential trouble and make them playable.

[NO_EAT]The other option is reworking their hands to be able to pick up food.
[CANOPENDOORS]Lets you get into and out of houses.
[OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE]Makes them playable.
[INTELLIGENT]Lets us talk to people and have skills. Optional.

*Edit: Alright.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:01:27 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »

Hm... no. Adding mods would make it have too many options and be unintelligible to anyone that plays vanilla, both of which would hinder the whole "democracy" thing. Graphics or UI, maybe.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »

Hm... no. Adding mods would make it have too many options and be unintelligible to anyone that plays vanilla, both of which would hinder the whole "democracy" thing. Graphics or UI, maybe.
I'd appreciate something to clarify the graphics from the usual DF ASCII graphics.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »

Oh, one thing I forgot to say!
If succession forts are many lunatics running an asylum, then this idea is many asylums running a lunatic.
Have fun.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:22 pm »

This sounds interesting. Also welcome to the Forum Blueturtle.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 06:39:24 am »

Wait, wait, wait... Are you actually voting for the heroic stray cat?
Ah well. Majority rule. Just be prepared for it to get brutally slaughtered down the road.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 06:40:38 am »

Wait, wait, wait... Are you actually voting for the heroic stray cat?
Ah well. Majority rule. Just be prepared for it to get brutally slaughtered down the road.
We altered entity to a Dragon.

A heroic stray cat would be entertaining. A heroic dragon would be better.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 01:01:50 pm »

We altered entity to a Dragon.

Well, I don't want to add mods, so... settle for the cat.
Sorry to be blunt, but modifying the game in any drastic way is going to dissuade people from reading, commenting, and participating, and my entire idea was to have anybody be able to participate. Information display or graphics... maybe. It's still going to make it hard to look at for anyone used to the ASCII, but I don't know if there's anyone like that (because I'm new).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5