Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95]

Author Topic: BYOR 0 - Game Over: Everyone Dies, SK wins  (Read 179944 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 0 - Game Over: Everyone Dies, SK wins
« Reply #1410 on: July 15, 2017, 03:36:08 am »

doll, the "group therapy" behaviour you despise is Mafia as serious business.  A few loose, messy thoughts:

Mafia is, to a certain extent, a giant pile of principal-agent problems.  Each faction has interests to pursue, but can only pursue them through its members, who have their own separate and oft-competing interests.  We are not automatons translating our factions' interests into actions.  We are people, complicated and flawed as we all are.  We see the effects of this all the time, most notably in the way almost every player wants to survive more than their faction wants them to.

This is a game about managing people, among other things.

As a townie, I want to limit the distortionary influences (including out-of-game stress and mental health issues) on other players' play, town or not.  I want that because I want to read them accurately.  I also want players (especially townies) to have good morale, as morale collapses are terrible for activity.  In addition, I don't want townies dumping masses of fake scumtells and dying needlessly, as can happen with out-of-game troubles.  It is in my faction's strategic interests for me to be supportive.  I would be doing my faction a disservice if I wasn't.

As scum, I want to look like I do as town.  Plus, people trust me when they like me.

Now, am I supportive purely for my factional interest?  No.  No.  I try to be a decent person.  However, that I am influenced heavily by personal ethics (on this issue, more than by factional interests, honestly) does not change the fact that this is generally strategically sound play, and my strategic interests aren't against my actions.

These issues will pop up anywhere.  People are people.  You will find players whose play is influenced negatively by out-of-game stress or mental heath issues.  You will have to work with said players.  Being prepared to do so is part of serious Mafia play.  It's rather like the rest of life that way.

And yes, Bay 12 Mafia behaviour is influenced by local social norms.  Mafia is greatly shaped by any community's social norms, shared ideas, and social structures.  To horribly paraphrase Alexander Wendt, Mafia is what players make of it.  To have certain tactics be taboo is quite normal, and hardly a sign of non-seriousness.  The norm you note, though, is not as strongly town-leaning as you seem to think: while faking that sort of appeal is taboo, the underlying issues are hardly exclusive to town.  Scum can be as thrown off as town is by the same forces, and can express it as much as town can.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 15, 2017, 04:03:33 am »

Umpf, Jack expressed thoughts similar to mine in a much better way ._.

Anything sincerely interacting with others is pretty much one's own serious business. (Which is why I got grumpy as a reaction to the bitterness and otherwise x.x) As we're all people, we're all playing with each other, regardless of the medium in between us.
...It'd also help that we'd know what bothered you--because what I saw was like you saw something, and we got the reaction, than anything in between. If it was Flabort's mention of his RL issue waaaaaay back, you can bring it up in a better way than how it happened (eg Don't blame them, but something like "I feel like you're comparing the case I'm making against you to something out of Mafia[...]")

Like that total aside in TolyK's chat where Jack went out of his way to help with out of Mafia issues :P (seriously thanks)
Because it helps people even if it's not directly part of the play by itself.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:07:44 am by Tiruin »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 15, 2017, 08:16:21 am »

It might be worth pointing out that part of the reason people thought I was town after D1 was me posting about my frustration with the game, which was completely genuine.

Quote from: Me in Mafiachat
4maskwolf, can you please post something in the game so I can read something intelligent?

i think this is what a BYOR BM would look like.]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:18:19 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 15, 2017, 06:12:51 pm »

Sorry about the disappearance, life kicked me in the ass again.  This is why I don't play much mafia anymore, because I never know when something will come up and I'll be unable to play for an extended period of time.  Probs not going to play any games in the near future until my life stabilizes a bit.

I agree with what Jack A T said above.

And you probably shouldn't be looking to me for intelligent discussion Persus :P

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:22 pm »

Well you were the one person I could ask to post in the thread.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 15, 2017, 10:49:47 pm »

doll, the "group therapy" behaviour you despise is Mafia as serious business.
I don't despise it. It's not ideal for me, obviously, but that's just a mismatch between my priorities and those of the community.
It may be worth noting that 'serious business' was used as an inherently ironic, somewhat empty label. I have been treating mafia as a game much more than the community, which treats it more like a kind of optional work.
A few loose, messy thoughts:

Mafia is, to a certain extent, a giant pile of principal-agent problems.  Each faction has interests to pursue, but can only pursue them through its members, who have their own separate and oft-competing interests.  We are not automatons translating our factions' interests into actions.  We are people, complicated and flawed as we all are.  We see the effects of this all the time, most notably in the way almost every player wants to survive more than their faction wants them to.
While your analysis is of course correct if you include the wider context of the players-as-people within the scope of what is called 'The Game of Mafia', within the alternate interpretation of 'The Game of Mafia' (my view) where a narrower scope of variables is included and deviance amongst players from their presumed position in this set (i.e. elements outside of core competencies and availability to play) is a deviance from the game known as 'Mafia'.

Your position dictates that the best avenue of play is a constant flood of third party bullying and disinformation, aimed at reducing the competency of players such that the perpetrator is left in an advantageous position. This of course has no limit on the use of multiple accounts etc. to achieve one's aims, and indeed mandates the use thereof through their being an advantageous utility in managing [sic] people.

However, as an independent actor myself, my aim is in developing a robust set of transferable skills, which is less possible in an unfocused and incompetent playerbase. This is, after all, a game.
Hence, my teleological position in approaching mafia is incompatible, as it were, with this interpretation of mafia.

For this reason I have developed the closed view of mafia wherein individual actors are presumed to attempt merely to succeed and not to exist outside of that role. Of course, this is a more restricted model than the open view you espouse.

TBF tries his best (he can only post by phone, he's pretty much young, and he's on the autism spectrum yet is pretty awesome like everyone else); so using whatever you've seen in him (but not mentioned about it at all to him or in public), shouldn't be used as a basis.
Y'know, Tiruin, I've always assumed you were aware, but maybe you actually aren't. I've got something to tell you, if that's the case:
You're not a nice person.
This is a game about managing people, among other things.
Yes, and when I manage people at work, I am able to achieve discrete, actionable objectives. You could say that doing so is no different from manging people in a game of mafia. The difference is, of course, that one is work and the importance to me of the objectives achieved and the quality of the atmosphere and the individuals contributing thereto within that work context is far greater, while the other is ostensibly play yet revolves around literally asking autistic children not to intentionally lose easy games.

And yes, Bay 12 Mafia behaviour is influenced by local social norms.  Mafia is greatly shaped by any community's social norms, shared ideas, and social structures.  To horribly paraphrase Alexander Wendt, Mafia is what players make of it.  To have certain tactics be taboo is quite normal, and hardly a sign of non-seriousness.  The norm you note, though, is not as strongly town-leaning as you seem to think: while faking that sort of appeal is taboo, the underlying issues are hardly exclusive to town.  Scum can be as thrown off as town is by the same forces, and can express it as much as town can.
Within the context in which it was expressed, there can be no doubt that Flabort's outburst was a towntell. Of course, if you attempt to construct and stretch a general case wide enough, you will notice errors in your model. In this case, however, the specific case of Flabort was extraordinarily polarized and direct.
Yes, scum can be thrown off, which is why breaking the taboos and abusing the positions of strength they give is useful in any role, so long as the cows chosen are correct.

You will note, of course, the nature of my post after P25 and in breaking out of the BM, both cases much the same as this.

EBWOP:
Letting players like TBF or (doll) back into games after disrupting them is how you kill communities. It's not a good idea in my opinion.
True, but you're kind of a dick about it. Nobody really understands your points because you make a point and then disprove it through your own actions.
I make a lot of points. You gotta keep up!

Like: How did the thinking even get to 'coddle group' than anything actually therapeutic? That's how I sensed out your idea of support group or otherwise--not really like a support group.
It really is like a support group - players come and play, and except when an issue weighs heavy on their mind, in which case they share it and other members of the community literally offer support. The issue is, of course, that this gets in the way of the play. It's a perfectly reasonable position from the point of view of the one asking for support, since the support is likely to have more value for them than the game itself. The other players keep the institution in place presumably in order to benefit from it themselves at a later date. The whole process lies against the interest of causal actors such as myself who don't benefit from the system, and so we seek to take preliminary action against it. Of course, a wider range of activity in response to this system requires much more work than the benefit is worth.
You're a lot better than how bitter you were, here. And you're always welcome into this community (sockpuppet or not...but preferably as 'not a sockpuppet' :v because why anyway); it's moreso the bitter attitude that's not that welcome x.x
It is instructive that you think I'm bitter, because in this case I am merely acting out of narcissistic and self aggrandizing motives to carry on a conversation about myself. Similarly, where I do not write for a specific objective, it should be presumed (as in the general case) that I am writing for the benefit of myself, and so do not intend to communicate anything in great detail excepting in that case.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 15, 2017, 11:48:52 pm »

[...] The whole process lies against the interest of causal actors such as myself who don't benefit from the system, and so we seek to take preliminary action against it. Of course, a wider range of activity in response to this system requires much more work than the benefit is worth.
...Blame Flabort about you leaving without making any specifics on why or how it affected you, and go on a really pointy and indirect rant to others doesn't give off this impression. :-\

That's not the preliminary action that you're connecting your words now, to, anyway. And I'd like it if that was cleared up >_<

And, it seems like its how you dealt with these things before--here is pretty different from all the games before; you weren't assertive or accurately direct when you respond with something you're bothered by. There are times where you insert out of context ideas that don't go well with the timing. :-\

TBF tries his best (he can only post by phone, he's pretty much young, and he's on the autism spectrum yet is pretty awesome like everyone else); so using whatever you've seen in him (but not mentioned about it at all to him or in public), shouldn't be used as a basis.
Y'know, Tiruin, I've always assumed you were aware, but maybe you actually aren't. I've got something to tell you, if that's the case:
You're not a nice person.
So what do you really mean by this, for example? It comes out of nowhere and operates on assuming something about me. :v
And makes it condescending in a blatantly conceptual way. We're people, dude. Talk about it.
If I'm not nice because I said something that bothers the other person, I'm alright with that because it's people's thoughts; it's okay to talk about it, and even say exactly how you feel at me. But if it's going to be used as characterizing other people because it wasn't communicated and just what became from an impression, it's not going to be healthy. I've said all I wanted at you back there, that I disliked how you characterized others without being direct, assertive, or even somewhere that goes with the same quality you've showed in other games since you joined. I'd like the same to be done here.

I'm unsure how aware you are of the meaning of your own actions, but many times your words contradict your goals and objectives you'd like of the group you say you're in with. Or that's how it seems initially anyway :/

Yes, and when I manage people at work, I am able to achieve discrete, actionable objectives. You could say that doing so is no different from manging people in a game of mafia. The difference is, of course, that one is work and the importance to me of the objectives achieved and the quality of the atmosphere and the individuals contributing thereto within that work context is far greater, while the other is ostensibly play yet revolves around literally asking autistic children not to intentionally lose easy games.
So why did you blame Flabort? And, why are you being demeaning to the term of autism?
"Literally asking autistic children not to intentionally lose easy games"
That's a really bad impression you're setting given what you're saying about social management.

E: If it was with how I worded it, I wasn't comparing TBF to anyone, it was using that aggrandizing idea of you using TBF as a term by itself to define an idea that you hadn't the idea to even directly express, at all. [eitherwise, he's okay with people knowing about himself inaslong as it doesn't provoke anything]
Because everytime I saw you use TBF as a basis or a term or just basically that, it is very demeaning.
Because you said NOTHING else than what makes up a passively-aggressive attack on someone else.

It is instructive that you think I'm bitter, because in this case I am merely acting out of narcissistic and self aggrandizing motives to carry on a conversation about myself
>.>
It's weird that you're bringing up really unapplicable terms, because I'm mainly calling you out on being bitter, by how you thoroughly behaved in D1. Nothing else. It'd be better if you brought out your ideas of others or any other concerns here than...framing things like this. It's not instructive out of that--it's that you just quit because of reasons, did nothing with what role you had (only known post-game), and didn't bother PMing anyone at all to clear up any personal concerns. Even the mod.
So to sum it up: I'm bothered when other people are fighting with others and then using them as caricatures to refer to something they dislike without even taking the time to clarify their position. That goes wholly against who or what you've done in the past, doll. That's the only reason I've posted what I've posted about you--nothing else implied [like that...narcissistic and self-aggrandizing stuff :v never thought that.]

Also as a note to Jack's words, I think it's better expressed that he was talking about people REGARDLESS of their familiarity on Bay12, rather than that we know each other being a good sign. :P Like, no matter where--treating others to their concerns is a common thing. That at least, I've seen from my beginnings from Bay12, and seeing other sites in turn. I'm unsure if it's a commonality for people to just throw up the game and quit without leaving anything behind, as a player-priority, but it's something I'm wholly disconnected to.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:21:04 am by Tiruin »

Tea

• Bay Watcher
  • ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 16, 2017, 01:09:35 am »

In retrospect:

- I liked the factional balance (4 mafia vs sk vs cult vs town, I mean) of this game. It was surprising as it unfolded but seemed reasonable.
- It's fun for me that Webadict's modding style is influenced by Xylbot. I used to play in #mafia a ton 7 years back, so.
- I liked that most people in this game were pretty active.
- FoU's, Lenglon's, and Jack's roles in particular were p cool. My revive ability kinda annoyed me for most of the game, but I was glad for it in the end!
- It's kinda funny that everyone died despite the madhouse of revives.
- By mid D1 I started to believe y'all that your site culture is geared toward serious daytime business and had fun solving.
- I've played with Pozzai on at least 5 different sites and I've never had the experience of him being seen as so controversial. Was odd/sorta funny to experience.
- I didn't actually suspect that I was NKed N1 whatsoever (if I'd just hid Pozzai would have lived and I wouldn't have gotten my vote stolen, rip.) Am also bummed no reasoning/discussion of the kill choice actually happened in mafia chat bc I'm self-centered.
- I almost replaced out as a result of flabort's attitude late D1. I don't think the assertion that questioning if someone who specifically said they would be available is tactically lurking is a vicious personal attack was reasonable. Additionally, because he apparently was hoping for a nice game with only people he knows, I went from being someone he could differentiate from doll and Pozzai to being an extension of both of them in less than 48 hours. It was very uncomfortable to be put in a position of assessing what his alignment was based on those kinds of assertions. I felt very unwelcome and like I had to walk on eggshells.
- Highly doubt I'll be playing here again as I don't think I quite fit with your site culture (am not cool with being called a cunt by a relative stranger in this context, among other things) but will still root for you in MU championships in the future.
- Even in postgame I still can't quite understand doll's and Tiruin's writing styles, heh.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 16, 2017, 01:14:42 am »

- Even in postgame I still can't quite understand doll's and Tiruin's writing styles, heh.
;~;
Thanks Tea for the awesome game though :P You're cool \o/ and well wishes to you regardless of the feelings, as Bay12 is open to anyone.

Also, on the note of being called a c---, it's less of what I guess is a bad term as Hector13 is scottish. x3 Although I think it's also my exposure to Australian buddies that helps that, I don't think he meant it as offensive at all. :P

- By mid D1 I started to believe y'all that your site culture is geared toward serious daytime business and had fun solving.
To clarify a bit, it's less site culture and more a common playstyle that just happens. It's pretty flexible here, from a person who has played here since 2012 or so.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 16, 2017, 02:06:59 am »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 16, 2017, 08:27:35 am »

Oh hey that was me. I was wondering who did that heh.

I was in a tremendously foul mood at that point, and that meant my usual language filter went away. In the context used, it was essentially a synonym for "anyone", directed at referring to everybody including myself. It wasn't meant negatively or positively.

Edit for better clarification.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:42:20 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 16, 2017, 10:08:36 am »

In retrospect:

- I liked the factional balance (4 mafia vs sk vs cult vs town, I mean) of this game. It was surprising as it unfolded but seemed reasonable.
- It's fun for me that Webadict's modding style is influenced by Xylbot. I used to play in #mafia a ton 7 years back, so.
- I liked that most people in this game were pretty active.
- FoU's, Lenglon's, and Jack's roles in particular were p cool. My revive ability kinda annoyed me for most of the game, but I was glad for it in the end!
- It's kinda funny that everyone died despite the madhouse of revives.
- I've played with Pozzai on at least 5 different sites and I've never had the experience of him being seen as so controversial. Was odd/sorta funny to experience.
- I didn't actually suspect that I was NKed N1 whatsoever (if I'd just hid Pozzai would have lived and I wouldn't have gotten my vote stolen, rip.) Am also bummed no reasoning/discussion of the kill choice actually happened in mafia chat bc I'm self-centered.
- I almost replaced out as a result of flabort's attitude late D1. I don't think the assertion that questioning if someone who specifically said they would be available is tactically lurking is a vicious personal attack was reasonable. Additionally, because he apparently was hoping for a nice game with only people he knows, I went from being someone he could differentiate from doll and Pozzai to being an extension of both of them in less than 48 hours. It was very uncomfortable to be put in a position of assessing what his alignment was based on those kinds of assertions. I felt very unwelcome and like I had to walk on eggshells.
- Highly doubt I'll be playing here again as I don't think I quite fit with your site culture (am not cool with being called a cunt by a relative stranger in this context, among other things) but will still root for you in MU championships in the future.
Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to know what people like and what people don't like. Usually, I take chances with actions and roles. This round was testing the Merge action. I thought it was good, but had some minor issues with it that I think were role-related.

I sometimes retry things that weren't liked another time, to see if it was just the situation or the role it was used in. Someone pointed out that I balanced by alignment this round, and for the most part, this is true, and maybe that's the difference between this and something like FHBYOR. I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet, but I think it demotivates some people to see a really powerful role compared to their own. Hmmm.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 21, 2017, 09:57:35 pm »

Hey Web, update on if (as people suggested), this goes into the games archive? :)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 22, 2017, 08:26:06 am »

It already did.
Sigtext

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 22, 2017, 10:22:58 am »

Have you posted how the themes were implemented yet?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95]