Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legend Viewers for 43.05?  (Read 3566 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Legend Viewers for 43.05?
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »

I'm trying to look at info on my civilization's current wars and Legends is somewhat awkward to browse when you have a good 1,060 years of history, does anyone know if any Legends viewers have been updated to 43.05? All of mine are outdated and don't work :(

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legend Viewers for 43.05?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:01:27 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

Windows only but works with latest version and should also be able to load dfhack extra info if you export it.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:11 pm »

Brilliant, I'm on Windows :) here's hoping I didn't doom my civ by accidentally killing those merchants.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:37:21 pm »

Damnit no luck, getting error messages when I try to load the XML files.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:06:12 pm »

Save must be corrupt. Works just fine for me.
(Actually I've also had saves that LegendsViewer just doesn't like before, not sure what the cause is).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:23:08 am »

For whatever reason, Legends Viewer seems to fail to read the XML from some saves (10%?), without there's any reason for the save to be corrupt (such as exports from freshly generated worlds). I'm still using the one that came with a 0.42.02 LNP, but it crashed occasionally back then and the frequency didn't seem to increase with the various DF versions since then up to and including 0.43.05 (I know there's up to date stuff, but I'm not really playing currently, so I haven't upgraded).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:33:37 am »

Save must be corrupt. Works just fine for me.
(Actually I've also had saves that LegendsViewer just doesn't like before, not sure what the cause is).
If the save is corrupt, it's unlikely that DF would even be able to load it, let alone generate XML files from it.

For whatever reason, Legends Viewer seems to fail to read the XML from some saves (10%?), without there's any reason for the save to be corrupt (such as exports from freshly generated worlds). I'm still using the one that came with a 0.42.02 LNP, but it crashed occasionally back then and the frequency didn't seem to increase with the various DF versions since then up to and including 0.43.05 (I know there's up to date stuff, but I'm not really playing currently, so I haven't upgraded).
Damnit no luck, getting error messages when I try to load the XML files.
Are you using XML files exported with DFHack or not? If you are, does removing the DFHack-generated XML files fix the issue? If so, can you upload them somewhere? There have been a couple issues in the past with the "exportlegends" script generating bad XML, so it's possible this is related, and I'd like to take a look at it.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:04:20 am »

Unfortunately I don't have the data. My lousy memory indicates I've tried with both regular only and and with extra XML files at some time in an attempt to get around the problem without luck, but that wasn't certain.
However, I'll keep my eyes open.
A clarification: when you say exportlegends generated bad XML, were you referring to both the regular one and the extra one, or just the extra one? I'd assumed the regular files were using the regular internal DF operation?

Regardless, if I encounter the problem I'll investigate the issue as best I can before providing files.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 06:24:38 pm »

A clarification: when you say exportlegends generated bad XML, were you referring to both the regular one and the extra one, or just the extra one? I'd assumed the regular files were using the regular internal DF operation?
Just the extra ("plus") one, and correct.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 01:28:17 pm »

Are you using XML files exported with DFHack or not? If you are, does removing the DFHack-generated XML files fix the issue? If so, can you upload them somewhere? There have been a couple issues in the past with the "exportlegends" script generating bad XML, so it's possible this is related, and I'd like to take a look at it.

I'll try to upload them somewhere. I've sorta figured out my civ's situation but the fact that 3rd party applications seem to refuse to work for me is frustrating ;-;

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 01:29:06 pm »

I think it loads the "plus" XML automatically when I load in the regular XML

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 05:35:23 pm »

I think it loads the "plus" XML automatically when I load in the regular XML
Well, they're different files. To test this, can you either not generate the "plus" file or delete it after it's generated?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:36:40 pm »

I've had non-dfhack data fail to load into legends-viewer occasionally. Generally on modded games though, so some of my tweaks might be causing conflicts. I'll upload a save next time it happens.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 07:49:55 pm »

I've had non-dfhack data fail to load into legends-viewer occasionally. Generally on modded games though, so some of my tweaks might be causing conflicts. I'll upload a save next time it happens.
Mods generally can't interfere with the XML generation at all (unless you count DFHack). It's possible that DF is generating problematic XML with some worlds, though. I'd prefer the XML file(s) because they're smaller, and generated on your machine, although the world might help too.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 09:08:00 pm »

Strange. If anyone wants to take a look I'll send them a link to the world over PM