Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plight of the Atomic [Space Pirate RPG]  (Read 3263 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Plight of the Atomic [Space Pirate RPG]
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:25 am »

This is the story of the Atomic, a centuries-old corsair vessel that's seen dozens of captains, as time passes the torch each time to a new generation.

Directory:
Ship Thread

Its venerable captain, the betentacled Fred, was once a conventional pirate on his home planet, his species having been uplifted long ago by scientists who threw away the key and left the world to its own devices.
Only two crew members remain, a far cry from the ship's glory days of over a hundred.

The captain's mate, the only soul aboard (the ship AI didn't count), was none other than Marcus Dominex Jr., who in his prime ruined more lives than an illiterate goon could count. He started off his days as a drug dealer who dealt with customs officers his own way: by blowing them to hell. When his reputation caught up to him, he left solo work and came aboard the Atomic.
They had countless adventures together, with each other and with the other crewmates. But one by one, people met their maker and in the end, it was just these two left.

The stories they could tell could fill volumes. But as a familiar THUD rattled the bridge, and the characteristic hiss of breaching charges went off, they held a toast in the bridge to all the memories they had together with the ship.
When the ship's new owners found Marcus and Fred, they were found floating dead in the bridge, curled hands gripping each an empty jug of Pan Adam's Atomic Meltdown, the hardest questionably-legal drink known to all of Tau Ceti.

It was a propitious opportunity, really. A band of wayfarers pooling their resources to buy a shuttle and force your ways into a derelict-seeming vessel? You're graduated space pirates now! Of course, none of you are veterans at this, or you'd seldom be caught dead taking easy pickings and alerting the navy. But all journeys have to start somewhere.

To start making a character, choose a path (you don't have to read all of these, picking one is fine):
Spoiler: A Citizen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Nobody (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: An Enforcer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Noble (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Merchant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: An Independent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Freelancer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Planetarian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Magnate (click to show/hide)

Then fill out the form below.

Name:
Path:

Physical Age: (And/or biological age if you've entered stasis at some point)
Appearance: (Self-explanatory)
Personality: (Describe the first impressions your character would give. Don't focus on the deeper aspects of personality, since that's spoken through action)
Bio: (What did your character do? Science? Criminal activities? Worked for a salary?)

Skill: (Pick a broad area such as tinkering, developing new products, biology, medicine, and so on. You get +1 to all rolls, modifying the dice themselves and not the number of dice. This will have no effect on your combat rolls.)

Physical Stats: (Minimum is 3. You have 18 extra points to distribute. Maximum is 10)
Strength     : 3 (Mightiness stat. Helps in melee and using arms/upper body)
Dexterity    : 3 (Agility and physical finesse. Helps with accuracy and hands)
Speed        : 3 (Movement stat. Helps with movement and using legs/kicks)
Reflex       : 3 (Intellect stat. Lets you take advantage of weaknesses and opportunities)
Constitution : 3 (Represents composure, and reduces stat loss from damage)
Endurance    : 3 (Determines how fast you recover, and stat point regeneration)

HP: 20/20

This game will have a Ship Thread with no player limit. The game will start off with 6-10 people in the ship at most, and proceed to pick up people on the waitlist whenever the ship arrives at a port of call.
Players are free to make decisions however they want, by democracy, electing a captain, committing mutiny, whatever the hell you want.

Whenever players leave the ship to go on a mission, a separate thread will be spawned, taking a limited amount of players. Most missions will run 4-6 players depending on interest.

In general I will try to keep the ship and mission in sync. This means that during a mission many shipborne tasks may be delayed IRL to let the mission people catch up.

Also there's a Discord: https://discord.gg/4eMDu6F
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 04:56:01 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic [Space Pirate RPG]
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:10:14 am »

Let's talk mechanics.

Optional reading. The gist is: You can spend stat points to increase your chance of rolling higher. Stats regenerate over time back to your original values.
Spending 3 of any stat will double your average roll.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Damage Table (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:29:53 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic [Space Pirate RPG] [Now Open]
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:44:21 pm »

Name: Abelard the Whisperer
Path: Independent (Tech Cult)

Biological Age: 25 (ish)
Appearance: Average height with dark brown hair that falls to his neck. Usually covered by a dark green hooded robe, with red work clothes underneath. His left arm is replaced with a silver mechanical replacement, and he has digitron (robotic arm) protruding from his back.
Personality: Most of the time quiet, focused mainly on the work to be done. When his interest is peaked, or the cult is mentioned, will rarely shut up.
Bio: A former power plant technician who tinkered dabbled in mechanical augmentation. One day while working he heard a voicing speaking to him, with nothing in the room but him and the machines. He continued to hear whispers and words of wisdom from the machines. Eventually, he left the station he  worked at entirely, instead seeking the spread the whispers of the machines to all who would listen, before being taken aboard a pirate ship due to his technological prowess.

Skill: Working with mechanical augmentations

Physical Stats:
Strength     : 6
Dexterity    : 5
Speed        : 4
Reflex       : 10
Constitution : 5
Endurance    : 6

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:31:07 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:31:58 pm »

Name: Jackson "Terrortrigger" Frankson
Path: Enforcer

Biological Age: 67
Appearance: Jackson must have been an imposing man in his prime, but he has somewhat surpassed that point; his hair is gray and receding, and his body is not as muscular and impressive as it once was. Yet he still maintains an impressive mustache, a mix of Einstein and Stalin's facial hair, which he tends to lovingly. His eyes are still surprisingly sharp and unclouded despite his age.
Personality: Jackson comes across as a man confused about who he is. With one sentence he may put himself forward as a highly-competent individual, while in the next he may be conceding how his old age is catching up to him and he is useless now. He does somehow maintain an air of command throughout all his words, no matter the tone.
Bio: Jackson "Terrortrigger" Frankson worked as an Enforcer under the shady corporation "Biohubogenics", and quickly earned a name for himself as a master of firearms amidst a large-scale worker riot, where he put down dozens of desperate and underpaid workers without even asking a question. Since those times, he has found much less impressive jobs as a simple security guard, and has slowly realized how unethical he was in his youth, and how his unmoral actions have affected the views of those around him about himself. Without he even realizing it, his recent employers had constantly lived in fear of him as a "sociopath", and eventually terminated him before vanishing entirely. Unfortunately, when his employers "Vanished", people immediately assumed Jackson had murdered them in rage, and thus he was unable to find employment; therefore he had to resort to a life of piracy.

Skill: Intimidation

Physical Stats: (Minimum is 3. You have 18 extra points to distribute. Maximum is 10)
Strength     : 7
Dexterity    : 6
Speed        : 6
Reflex       : 3
Constitution : 6
Endurance    : 8

(Might be a little rough, but I'm tired.)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:14:13 pm »

Spoiler: John Rhodes (click to show/hide)

(not my best sheet, but goddamnit i'm getting in on the ground floor of a DVZ game for once.)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:57:16 pm »

Name: Abelard the Whisperer
Path: Independent (Tech Cult)

Biological Age: 25 (ish)
Appearance: Average height with dark brown hair that falls to his neck. Usually covered by a dark green hooded robe, with red work clothes underneath. His left arm is replaced with a silver mechanical replacement, and he has digitron (robotic arm) protruding from his back.
Personality: Most of the time quiet, focused mainly on the work to be done. When his interest is peaked, or the cult is mentioned, will rarely shut up.
Bio: A former power plant technician who tinkered dabbled in mechanical augmentation. One day while working he heard a voicing speaking to him, with nothing in the room but him and the machines. He continued to hear whispers and words of wisdom from the machines. Eventually, he left the station he  worked at entirely, instead seeking the spread the whispers of the machines to all who would listen, before being taken aboard a pirate ship due to his technological prowess.

Skill: Working with mechanical augmentations

Physical Stats:
Strength     : 6
Dexterity    : 5
Speed        : 4
Reflex       : 10
Constitution : 5
Endurance    : 6

You're good to go.

Name: Jackson "Terrortrigger" Frankson
Path: Enforcer

Biological Age: 67
Appearance: Jackson must have been an imposing man in his prime, but he has somewhat surpassed that point; his hair is gray and receding, and his body is not as muscular and impressive as it once was. Yet he still maintains an impressive mustache, a mix of Einstein and Stalin's facial hair, which he tends to lovingly. His eyes are still surprisingly sharp and unclouded despite his age.
Personality: Jackson comes across as a man confused about who he is. With one sentence he may put himself forward as a highly-competent individual, while in the next he may be conceding how his old age is catching up to him and he is useless now. He does somehow maintain an air of command throughout all his words, no matter the tone.
Bio: Jackson "Terrortrigger" Frankson worked as an Enforcer under the shady corporation "Biohubogenics", and quickly earned a name for himself as a master of firearms amidst a large-scale worker riot, where he put down dozens of desperate and underpaid workers without even asking a question. Since those times, he has found much less impressive jobs as a simple security guard, and has slowly realized how unethical he was in his youth, and how his unmoral actions have affected the views of those around him about himself. Without he even realizing it, his recent employers had constantly lived in fear of him as a "sociopath", and eventually terminated him before vanishing entirely. Unfortunately, when his employers "Vanished", people immediately assumed Jackson had murdered them in rage, and thus he was unable to find employment; therefore he had to resort to a life of piracy.

Skill: Intimidation

Strength     : 7
Dexterity    : 6
Speed        : 6
Reflex       : 3
Constitution : 6
Endurance    : 8

(Might be a little rough, but I'm tired.)

Intimidation is a bit of a niche skill, but there's nothing preventing you from choosing it.

(not my best sheet, but goddamnit i'm getting in on the ground floor of a DVZ game for once.)

(Good timing ;))

Plotting doesn't seem like something you would roll for. You could do stealth instead.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:11:46 pm »

(Good timing ;))

Plotting doesn't seem like something you would roll for. You could do stealth instead.
Eh, I dunno. "Plotting's" not really what I was aiming for necessarily, it was more general "intrigue." Getting people involved in plots, figuring out ways to be sneaky, etc. Didn't really know what word I wanted to use, although intrigue is actually a good one now that I think about it.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:16:27 pm »

It worked out for Paradox. Now that you clarified, I can see a way to make it work, having advantages and disadvantages compared to Stealth in general.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:30:25 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 02:21:38 am »

Spoiler: Rai (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:34:29 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 05:10:49 am »

4 should be enough to start. I posted the ship thread.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:32:24 am by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic [Space Pirate RPG] [Now Open] [4/6]
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 10:50:30 pm »

This was asked on the discord:

How difficult would it be to steer the ship without AI assistance? If we use the security override, will it just be a huge inconvenience, or really dangerous?

Since I'm offering you the choice, it's certainly possible to fly the ship without the override. People can play flight simulators and kerbal space program without always crashing.
But if you're not a pilot you might not always be 100% accurate. i.e. you might end up several megameters away from your target after travelling 1 AU.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 07:57:21 am »

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:49:08 am by wipeout1024 »
Ain't nobody got time for that.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 03:44:02 pm »

Imma grab the last slot.

Spoiler: Done (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:48:45 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 08:17:25 pm »

You won't be on the boarding party since that already happened. I'll contact you over Discord to get it sorted out.

Imma grab the last slot. I'll post a sheet soonish, if that's alright with y'all.

Sure. You can post again when you're finished so I get notified.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:46:32 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic [Space Pirate RPG] [Now Open] [6/]
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 08:20:48 pm »

Sheet done! It's in my earlier post.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance
Pages: [1] 2