Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallacy's Writing Practice: Another new story, taking prompts!  (Read 985 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

So here's the deal: I'd like to practice my writing, and I'm tired writing fanfic that just peters out after a few thousand words. That's where Bay 12 comes in.

You folks submit one prompt(or something like that, it can be an ordinary prompt or some inspiration of another kind, or basically anything you want, but prompts would be simplest) each. Each time I want to do some writing, I'll select a submitted prompt at random.

This isn't quite a daily thing. More like I'll work on the prompt I selected until I think I have a self-contained thing, then I'll revise a bit and then post. How long this takes may vary, but I'll try to keep it to a day.

I may do multiple in a day, or I may work on one writing for several days and then post. It's not really all that time-fixed.

After each piece I post(unless I post a fragment of a larger work I'm currently working on), the submissions begin anew.

Interested? Get posting.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:19:39 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's Writing Practice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:06:16 pm »

Oh, I'll post a few promps I put elsewhere.

Spoiler: 12 prompts (click to show/hide)

Notactuallyaneditedit: Ah shit, I didn't see the limit of one per person. WHOOPS.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:13:52 pm »

... if a person accidentally submits multiple prompts, I'll just take the first.

Hence... "A dark, gritty character attempts to retain his dignity in a world full of lighthearted anime-esque shenanigans." I'll make it work. Like the idea.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:11 am »

>However, even with his great stature, he could not raise a hand above these dragons.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 03:29:25 pm »

Progress report: 3590 words and counting. 2/3 to 3/4ths of the way finished.

Basic synopsis: Mr. Hawkins is a serious lawyer in a very not serious place. Oddplace. Generally speaking, however, his days aren't as odd as this.

Small, raw, samples:

“Motion to send for paramedics!”

“Approved!” The judge reached under his podium and pressed a button.
Wasn’t there a legal rule for this? Mr. Hawkins furrowed his brow as he thought. If he was paying attention, he would have noticed that he was muttering under his breath. The train of thought Mr. Hawkins had accumulated was destroyed as if by a superhero’s punch when Captain Power clapped his hand down on Mr. Hawkins shoulders. He was speaking. “As you can see, even an ordinary citizen can make a difference against a supervillain when the time is right! Precisely what time is right to do so can be found in chapter four of my earlier book Anti-Villain Super Maximum Tactics, available at a 50% discount upon purchase of A Powerful Life! As for this gentleman—“

“No. No free book copies. Please. Can you please just invoke code Alpha-293-Epsilon-Phi-Fox-12 so I can drive to the courthouse I’m due at? I have a case to get to.”

“… that is a very good suggestion! The law waits for nobody! Our citizen here is a lawyer, and is called to the court to do battle! In my capacity as a superhero, I invoke code Alpha-293-Epsilon-Phi-Fox-12 to allow him to drive that Orange Cab Company vessel to the courthouse where he is due!”
Finally, the cab pulled up. Thankfully, it was painted with blatant orange paint.

Edit: Story finished. I'll polish it a bit and hopefully post it tomorrow. It stands at 5527 words currently! I'm not entirely sure whether I got the dark and gritty part down, but I certainly got a serious character. Until his mind gives out a bit, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:23:35 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's Writing Practice: Expect first story tomorrow.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 01:10:48 pm »

Now then. Please critique.

Edit: No feedback. At all. Well, next prompt, then.

Choosing between Dermonster's second prompt: "... and then he came screeching from behind the Sun, wielding Jupiter as a flail." and eerr's prompt: "However, even with his great stature, he could not raise a hand above these dragons." [1d2: 1]. Looks like I'm doing Derm's second prompt, then. This'll be fun. More of a challenge, anyhow.

Double Edit: It ended up taking not much time to write. I guess I'll do eerr's prompt as well. I'll publish both the stories once I'm finished.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:24:52 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's Writing Practice: An Odd Day in an Odd Place.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 07:06:32 am »

It was good, though I expected more 'Reaper in a Disney Cartoon' levels of dissonance. Bottom line: I enjoyed it. Keep it up!

Sorry for not replying earlier, I didn't actually have the thread on watch :v
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's Writing Practice: An Odd Day in an Odd Place.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 04:16:27 pm »

And two more (much shorter) short stories. 392 words and 689 words.

Spoiler: The Great Spat (click to show/hide)

Please critique.
Generic Arms Race.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enjoyed it. don't have any specific criticisms, because I'm awful at them.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's Writing Practice: Two new stories, taking prompts!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 05:19:29 pm »

Spoiler: New Neighbors (click to show/hide)
Maybe I'll actually get some criticism this time?
Generic Arms Race.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's Writing Practice: Another new story, taking prompts!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 05:30:44 pm »

It's short, but I like the concept! It could unravel into a rather unique slice of life type deal, or perhaps a supernatural comedy as all these vampires struggle to follow this dude around and enjoy the sunlight.