Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interest check - and help me review my rules, DF aided game  (Read 2179 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check - and help me review my rules, DF aided game
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 07:26:16 am »

We need an NPC king with very low influence to start out with. So we can murder him :D

Is there ever a point in being unpopular ?
Like, could we (two or more unpopular dwarves) form an alliance and flee off the fortress (living outside or in the caverns or something) ?
We'd form a brotherhood and be labeled as "criminals". That could be another "noble position".
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 07:29:24 am »

technically there already is an NPC king he just doesn't live at the site until we get mountainhome status
no you don't want to be unpopular, the rules are supposed to make having high influence what you want.
yes you can flee outside voluntarily, I guess i'll add a little clause to the rules (the caverns do look like a more and more attractive option for exile)
my idea was that if you are exiled you only have two cases for a return:
you get pardoned in absentia, because maybe the government changed to someone more sympathetic or whatever other reason.
or
you decide to just face up to your punishment.
edit - just thought of another one, maybe the law got changed so your punishment isn't too severe anymore?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:33:56 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »

Broker can probably just get trade influence gain and option to embezzle.

Yeah, exile = death at this point. Maybe have a system for sending squads to caverns to bring criminals to justice?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 01:57:32 pm »

For Players, they could play "muses" - not directly controlling a single dwarf, but rather indirectly giving various dwarves "pushes" to build something or choose one profession over another.  It makes setting up dwarves to be powerful/have lots of influence a means to an end rather than an end to itself, and it gives each "muse" the "influence" to claim/reserve dwarves without themselves being embodied by them.  If the fort crumbles after all the dwarves have died, that still allows the Players to persist in-game, albeit with diminished reserves of "influence". 

I'm currently doing something similar in my Dwarfopoly game - setting it up to be a "King of the Gods" type of thing once the bridge-building phase is over.  We've already had one of my named dwarves become the King after some humans assassinated the original from worldgen.  Love to see what happens with this game once you get it running.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 04:00:46 pm »

It sounds like a cool idea but im hesitant to add complexity, especially with regards to dwarves building specific things that was very difficult to manage last time, if players die maybe i can give them a simple carryover of 1/10 to keep it simpler
Yeah, exile = death at this point. Maybe have a system for sending squads to caverns to bring criminals to justice?
I disagree because there's always a hope you might be pardoned, if your crime was against urist mctyrant anyone who deposes him might be sympathetic to you
However i will add the option for factions to get someone pardoned, if anyone can think of actions exiles can do im keen to add some
That said it will be dangerous but i will make something of an effort to keep them starving or dying of thirst down there
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:10:54 pm by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 10:44:43 pm »

since there doesn't seem to be much more discussion i'll be starting the game in a new thread in a couple of days, if anyone wants to give their 2 cents this is your last chance

I still want a more interesting perk for being broker than just gaining influence when you trade, because functionally that just ends up as a yearly increase

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 06:30:19 am »

since there doesn't seem to be much more discussion i'll be starting the game in a new thread in a couple of days, if anyone wants to give their 2 cents this is your last chance

I still want a more interesting perk for being broker than just gaining influence when you trade, because functionally that just ends up as a yearly increase

Influence for every 10 items you trade, so broker has a reason to increase production.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!
Pages: 1 [2]