Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Isolation...  (Read 814 times)

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Isolation...
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:38:41 pm »

Well. I embarked in an evil biome (desert with a corner of mountain). The first two harcoded migrants waves appeared, however the only caravan that showed went missing all of sudden. I'm stuck at 15 pop and I ran out of wood. I'm not getting any sieges or invasions or any hostile activity neither(I occasionally get attacked by a criomancer but that's all... I'm surrounded of hostiles (2 towers, goblins, succubus, gigant fiend spiders)
 Is there anything I can do to make something happen?
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Isolation...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:02:39 am »

Sieges and invasions and such are controlled by a multifactor or of (have so many dwarves) or (have exported so much wealth) or (have so much wealth). If any one is true, the invasions can begin. Easy way to force things along without trade or migrants is to find an industry you have plenty of materials for and just start churning out as many items as possible. That should attract Invaders, especially once you're making masterpieces. Just keep in mind there's a fine line between getting invasions and getting sieges. Same behavior as vanilla DF, so do the same as you would there

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:07:06 pm »

I thought as of the new version, 43.xx or whatever, that sieges had to actually travel to you. So a scout needs to find you, and then you need to be worth invading, and then a sieger has to actually do the marching to reach you.

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:10:12 pm »

My fortresses has been too peaceful, I rarely get attacked...
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 06:33:50 am »

welcome to the #1 complaint of 43.xx lol... we use to be able to force attacks... that option is currently broken.

cerevox is fairly correct.  basically all civs send out scouts if a scout spots a fortress he escapes the map and runs home, if your fort meets civ criteria for assault they send out an invasion/siege force.  that group has to travel to you.   after each unsuccessful attempt, a new force is created and sent out at the time their race sends out such things...  each new assault group is suppose to be harder then the last.. but they only move during the season they are designed too.  If they can't make the distance within 3 months... then you wont be attacked until the following year (so you end up with a year break in between). 

Besides scouts, information of your site can be passed by visitors, and that information can be collected by enemy civs, at more neutral locations.... this process of trickled information takes more time than it should, and is passing on old data about your site, not current data.... welcome to 43.xx
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal