Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow Per-caste sprite definitions in graphics packs.  (Read 2471 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Allow Per-caste sprite definitions in graphics packs.
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:56:52 am »

Currently, graphics packs only allow setting sprites on a per-creature basis, such as [CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF]

It would be better if they could be set on a caste-basis as well, such as [CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF:MALE]

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
  • It'd be nice if I'd stop getting distracted.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
Re: Allow Per-caste sprite definitions in graphics packs.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:30:50 am »

I agree, that would be awesome.
Insert Witty Signature Here.

DragDen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:19:18 pm »

I too agree, this is probably my most desirable ability.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 01:03:15 pm »

This would be awesome. lets hope the toad notices

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 04:09:19 pm »

You don't need to bump suggestions. Toady says he looks at (at least) the opening post of every one.

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:03:50 pm »

As I understand things, it is possible to write the raws so that different castes are represented by different ASCII tiles, which would be a good start. 

Here it is: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#C.  The known tokens include CREATURE_TILE and CASTE_TILE.  I suspect that editing the raws to make this happen goes beyond the usual scope of a graphics pack (I don't use them myself, so I don't know for sure), but this looks like the way to go. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:11 pm »

As I understand things, it is possible to write the raws so that different castes are represented by different ASCII tiles, which would be a good start. 

Here it is: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#C.  The known tokens include CREATURE_TILE and CASTE_TILE.  I suspect that editing the raws to make this happen goes beyond the usual scope of a graphics pack (I don't use them myself, so I don't know for sure), but this looks like the way to go.

When I made a caste-based mod for highly different creatures in the same "species" as the dwarves, that was what I used, but unfortunately, Toady never extended that capability to graphics.

Honestly, I think it's just an issue of Toady not thinking about it because he doesn't use/like graphics, even though it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare