Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unknown plant substance  (Read 1204 times)

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unknown plant substance
« on: May 26, 2017, 08:20:26 pm »

So I was playing when i got invaded by a wereelk. The thing is that this hostile came bathed in an unknown plant substance which caused him function lost in the heart. In my map there is nothing that can cause that... so could the wereelk been contaminated outside the map and then brought the stuff to the map? By the way, What could this substance be?
PD: The invader died a few tiles away from it's spawn point of bleeding.
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown plant substance
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:28:17 pm »

Is the actual name of the stuff "Unknown plant substance"? Any more data you have would be helpful.

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:42:38 pm »

That's the actual name.
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 06:26:13 am »

things are listed as unknown, if they exceed the material ID pointer in DF.  Its a bug that needs to be fixed in DF... its the same bug that occasionally causes people to crash when setting details, and the reason in the military screen there is so many unknown material in the material page...  The item is defined, the pointer acts up when trying to find the name and unknown is the "failed" response.  He probably was generated with some posion secretion on his skin... but didn't have the proper tags to make him immune to said secretion.  It didn't come from your map.  be careful picking it up and moving it.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 02:55:01 pm »

I don't understand.. things are unknown if they failed to have a name?
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 03:17:47 pm »

unknown is not the name of the material.  it has a name, the game just failed to pull it up and display it.  Its a known bug in DF. names of most things come from the material type definition, so in this case you have a plant material in a liquid form on a creature.  in that object ( the liquid plant material on the creature ) it has a pointer to its material.  Now then that pointer is to an index in a table to locate the material data.  DF basically uses the pointer to pull up its ID then passes that back to produce all sorts of things, such as names, and get its material information for all sorts of other things(weight, density, boiling points, etc,). 

Now then the issue comes in when such a pointer grabs an ID beyond 32,xxx range. because when it goes to grab the name, its just indexing the material table and any index in DF beyond 32,xxx fails when passed to a table array (Its one of several things that are broken in DF).  generally this isn't an issue, vanilla DF barely has 5k materials after all the metals, all the inorganics, all the creatures, and all the plants, along with all their separate part materials.  Where does that leave us?  well we have a pointer and that pointer is used to access the other parts it needs (its faster) so we know its something that has a deadly poison possibly on it if that's what killed the were.... but without accessing a DFHack and writing a script to search for the material's name through the pointer, we wont know what it is.

So yes DF failed to "find" the name, because its broken in certain ways, and those things get called unknown.   It does not mean they don't have a name.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 04:11:58 pm »

Is there a script to search the name?
PD:   Duthtish Necik   
A large elk twisted into humanoid form.  It is crazed for blood and flesh.  Its eyes glow golden yellow. Its sandy taupe hair is long and straight.  Now you will know why you fear the night.

Her heart is gushing unknown plant substance.  Her heart is melted. 
She is scrawny.   
After a few tiles: [/color]Her heart is gouting unknown plant substance. 
She is scrawny.  Her heart is gone.

That's a funny substance.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:16:15 pm by Caponimoq »
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 04:29:16 pm »

not one that I have.  and even if I did there's not much I can do for the save file... its not game breaking to chase down, and even if I did it wont help in correcting my end its a dwarf fortress problem not a Masterwork problem.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 05:49:13 pm »

Hey... I found a Naga's body over my fort's entrance, bathed in the same substance. He/she didn't pass near the werecorpse... Now this is weird. It seem to be another weresomething.
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 06:34:41 pm »

could be a naga that was a were and was killed either by the dwarves or this substance... i'm betting on coral or liquid fire now... lol... only since those 2 things seems to pop up in strange issues.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 07:23:56 pm »

I keep finding werecorpses covered with this substance...
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 04:18:06 am »

This happened to me as a Werechameleon. Died like ten ticks after the transformation. No reason for it at all
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 10:58:35 am »

wtf?

I'll have to look into what is going on with were beasts.... maybe something from ZM5 coming over is killing them... do you have the ZM5 mods on or off, when this occurred?
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 01:39:32 am »

I don't know.... probably not, I didn't modify anything.
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 10:40:16 am »

if you are in version 1.26 and you didn't change anything then the answer is yes.

there was several duplicates between the masterwork and zm5 that were not spotted... but have been fixed in the next version... at the moment I'm going to say that until the next version is released, I'm not going to worry about this, primarily due to the number of fixes already in v1.27.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
Pages: [1] 2