Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing Coin Mint/Workshops not having coins?  (Read 1388 times)

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
Missing Coin Mint/Workshops not having coins?
« on: June 05, 2017, 06:15:56 pm »

So I've been playing with my fort for a bit now and I was hoping to build the fine goods shop and it refuses to build due to lack of coins. I keep reading online to make a coin mint but I see no way of doing so and I have made coins the vanilla way and I have both gold ones and silver ones but the shop still refuses to be built what am I doing wrong and where is the coin mint workshop at? I've gone through all the options for building things and not seen it. I can't build any of the shops that require coins....any help would be nice. :( I'm using Masterwork 1.25 if that helps figure out the issue faster.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:22:34 pm by Alkmayix »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Coin Mint/Workshops not having coins?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:42:30 pm »

First of all, which race are you playing with? Humans can sell extra resources for coins at the local merchant stalls so if you're bottlenecked with them I recommend building 1-3 of those.

Secondly, you don't really need a coin mint unless your map is low on fuel, as it's literally just a fuelless way to make them.

Third, don't bother minting silver or copper. Meph scrapped that part because people were have issues figuring out exchanges rates. The only currencies outside of modmods are gold and bonemold and no race uses both.

Finally, beyond the standard reasons for a building being unavailable, (burrows, etc.) coins have the quirk of the game not telling you upfront how much you need, it's usually 1-4 stacks of 500 in my experience.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:47:14 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »

First part: Using dwarves, was wanting to look at the shops as this is more of a fort to play around with Masterwork's additives.

Second: I wasn't even able to find one was wondering if I needed it to make said coins I'd rather have a fueless method as well but like I said I couldn't find a coin mint at all. I've yet to find lava and don't wanna turn more wood into fuel as I already have a lot but seems like it would be wasted if I made coins with it too. But yeah I wasn't even able to find it under build which is more my issue with the mint itself nothing online says where to find it past it's supposed to be a workshop.

Third: thanks for the note won't bother with the others.

Fourth: I had a stack of gold and it was still refusing when I looked online it said you only needed 1 stack of 500 coins. But I also saw in newer versions you don't need coins at all to make said shops and instead bars.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 10:14:46 pm »

I can answer that one... it was discovered that in 43.05 buildings no longer use stack counts properly at all when making buildings.  so the call had been for 4 stacks of coins, they end up using any stack of any amount (1 or 30,000 doesn't matter).  so I changed it to a gold bar in dwarves.  in orcs its a couple of bars of metal.  in humans they are free. 

anyways dwarves have never had a mint as far as I can remember, they use the forge to make coins.  the mint is one of the engineer guild expansions in humans.  secondly if you was getting info from the wiki... I'd suggest stop.  that thing hasn't been updated in over a year and in some cases 2 to 4 years.  the community here can answer your questions better.

I'd suggest 1.27 since I've updated the shop exchanges since 1.25 there is now the ability to sell off a lot more junk stone/gems for coins; additionally the easier access to dwarven shops.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:42:39 pm »

I only used the wiki a tad I figured out pretty quickly it was well out of date however I was unable to find what I was looking for in this forum so I figured I'd ask myself since it wasn't here. I would swap versions however this is more to fiddle with before hand and I've heard updating the save to a newer version makes the game freak out...so then I would need 4 stacks instead of 1 you are saying? Or is the system entirely broken in 1.25 for those workshop shops? I already know the differences in 1.27 since I did look at it earlier.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 10:47:25 pm »

basically they need 4 or 5  stacks of coins, I can't remember which...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:01:17 pm »

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I'll see about using the save in the update since it was about half having issues half weren't if only for that fix for now.