Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]  (Read 21067 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]
« on: May 27, 2017, 05:22:27 am »

Corsair Vessel Atomic, Rhondeim Perimiter Space
Timestamp [2241:31:5:+2880]

OOC Main Thread
Discord

Rather nice of them to hand over the keys just like that.

Except that there aren't any keys in their pockets. You checked.

Poring over the various gadgets and gizmos across the bridge, you find that almost all the controls won't work if they don't recognize you. Some sort of presence in the system knows you aren't there, and constantly plasters ACCESS DENIED tags over every viewscreen you tap. Even the coffee mugs don't appreciate being held.

So it seems you've a while before this ship is fully yours. But the four of you got two dead bodies and all the time in the world. Maybe you can think of something.

In the meantime, some organizational decisions have to be made. Most pirate ships have a captain, yes? With four of you, there's bound to be ties in democratic voting, and you're going to be looking for more manpower sooner rather than later. A pretty face speaks louder than a faceless oligarchy.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 07:22:20 am »

Jackson thinks about the situation for a minute, then looks for anything resembling a retinal scan or hand scanner or anything of the like on the walls or on any of the terminals.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:38:14 am »

Rhodes would glance around the bridge for a second, taking it in. He'd turn to look at the two bodies, noting the rather marine captain.

"Ah, I do love calamari."

He'd chuckle, before shaking his head. "Raises a problem with retinal and fingerprint scans, I imagine." He'd approach the center console, carefully moving the captain out of the way, and begin speaking to..thin air. "There's a ship AI still onboard, yes? And you must have some sort of voice recognition. No self-respecting pirate would type out all their orders, eh? If you're listening, I would like to suggest a deal. We're all stuck here until this ship gets moving, and I doubt you're going to get much excitement with a dead crew."

Try to strike a deal with the ship AI to unlock the systems in exchange for something.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 03:14:34 pm »

"These machines are rightfully cautious of us. Let's try to assuage their fears and get them to cooperate."

Listen to some of the consoles and look for manual security overrides nearby.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:03:44 pm »

The ship is floating about 100km away from Rhondeim colony. At this distance, ships are only allowed to use cold plasma thrusters by colony law. Using full thrust at any point will alert the colony and prompt a naval response, but for now the navy shouldn't be after you.

Jackson thinks about the situation for a minute, then looks for anything resembling a retinal scan or hand scanner or anything of the like on the walls or on any of the terminals.
"These machines are rightfully cautious of us. Let's try to assuage their fears and get them to cooperate."

Listen to some of the consoles and look for manual security overrides nearby.

Jackson and Abelard take to searching the bridge: Jackson looks around the perimeter and entrance doors for some sort of 'log-in' system, while Abelard heads directly to the captain's chair.

A set of panels swivel out as soon as Abelard steps in, revealing displays showing the structural integrity of the ship and various statuses.

At the captain's seat he finds a covered handprint scanner labelled SECURITY OVERRIDE, and a warning stating that overriding security will disable all AI features such as assisted navigation and automated decision-making.

Meanwhile, Jackson discovers an elevator labelled TO ARMORY and finds that it's locked with a retinal scanner.

Rhodes would glance around the bridge for a second, taking it in. He'd turn to look at the two bodies, noting the rather marine captain.

"Ah, I do love calamari."

He'd chuckle, before shaking his head. "Raises a problem with retinal and fingerprint scans, I imagine." He'd approach the center console, carefully moving the captain out of the way, and begin speaking to..thin air. "There's a ship AI still onboard, yes? And you must have some sort of voice recognition. No self-respecting pirate would type out all their orders, eh? If you're listening, I would like to suggest a deal. We're all stuck here until this ship gets moving, and I doubt you're going to get much excitement with a dead crew."

Try to strike a deal with the ship AI to unlock the systems in exchange for something.

The AI doesn't seem too talkative, if there is one. Abelard discovered a warning label that suggests there is AI presence, but if there is one it's either not responding to your verbal query, or it is incapable of doing so.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:13:38 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »

Take a stroll down to the cargo bay. I mean. It looks like everything is under control here.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:07:28 pm »

Take a stroll down to the cargo bay. I mean. It looks like everything is under control here.

The cargo bay is off in the zero-G section of the ship, so Rai will have to make a trip to the airlock and grab a space suit.

You also have a boarding shuttle rammed into parked on Habitat A.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:57:59 pm »

Jackson unceremoniously lifts the corpse of the pilot and drags it over to the retinal scanner, then attempts to scan any eye the tentacled man may have. If it works, he enters the lift.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 11:29:54 pm »

Get a space suit and head on down.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 04:55:23 pm »

"It would not be good to cruelly cut off the AI from it's body. Let's try to find it's core,
to see if we can get it to speak."

Search for the AI core's location in the bridge or it's location on the ship.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 12:06:17 am »

"It would not be good to cruelly cut off the AI from it's body. Let's try to find it's core,
to see if we can get it to speak."

Search for the AI core's location in the bridge or it's location on the ship.

It's right next to you.

It's quite a large rack of computers.

Jackson unceremoniously lifts the corpse of the pilot and drags it over to the retinal scanner, then attempts to scan any eye the tentacled man may have. If it works, he enters the lift.

The tentacled body flops around like a mop. Some of the appendages twitch with a mind of their own.

The door unlocks! The elevator smells of gunpower, rosin, and burnt silicon. You hang on tight, since the ship gravity is rather low; transferred to the space below the bridge, you find a long hall with racks of weapons on one side, doors on the others. The doors are written in some language you have limited knowledge of, probably Old Colonial. Each door has a picture of a different type of weapon on it; rifles, pistols, bows, swords, lasers, and drills, and their respective weapons are located somewhere on the rack close to the door.

At the far end is a door marked with a wrench.

Get a space suit and head on down.

Rai heads out the airlock, breathing oxygen from a tube in the vacuum of space. Rhondeim, the colony, appears in the distance; it's a tube smaller than a grain of rice at arm's length, but it's quite bright; the planet Freon looms fist-sized on the side opposite.

The cargo bay has handles on the outside. You'd expect it to be locked, but somehow it isn't; judging from the flash-frozen moisture around the lip of the bay door, there's currently some sort of leaking atmosphere inside. Ice would sublimate at this distance from the sun, if exposed too long, but not if it's constantly replenished.

The door is heavy and difficult to lift without assistance from the motor assembly. (You'll need 3 hits to partially succeed)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:29:57 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 12:09:35 am »

Go at the door with my beefy 3 strength arms.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:33:37 am by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 07:46:17 am »

Jackson scans the doors for anything like heavy weaponry, be it explosives or machine guns. If he does find such a room, he checks the contents, before moving on to search that wrench room.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:56:00 am »

Rhodes would realize that his limited skillset does not seem applicable to this situation, and decides to stick with the crazy cultist on the bridge.

"Sooo...you've got a plan, right? I'm not actually a fan of calamari, and we probably want to get this thing going before we're forced to eat the captain."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 03:36:19 pm »

"...how did I not notice that. Anyway, lets see if we can get the machine speaking to us, at least."

Examine the mainframe and try to find any panels or status labels. Try knocking on the mainframe as well, just to be sure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11