Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]  (Read 21259 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 04:16:50 pm »

Go at the door with my beefy 3 strength arms.

[5] Rai heaves the door using his whole body. The door gives, as if its great mass were nothing in zero-G.

The first thing on his mind were the marks along the door's rim where metal had welded to metal in vacuum--metal-metal contact produced by erosion of the gasket around the bay door's rim.
It was erosion that could have been fixed before repressurizing the bay. But the ship's owners had neglected to do so, hence the ice on the exterior.

It was ample warning, too. But regardless of the past, Rai now had to worry about the ship superstructure rapidly approaching his tumbling body. The jetpack is too busy spin-stabilizing to respond to his commands.

(3-0) CRACK. That's a broken rib at least.

Spoiler: Rai's stats (click to show/hide)

Jackson scans the doors for anything like heavy weaponry, be it explosives or machine guns. If he does find such a room, he checks the contents, before moving on to search that wrench room.

Explosives are probably not a good idea on a pressurized spacecraft. There's a light machine gun on the rifle rack, and the room appears to be an indoor firing range that's soundproofed with three firing lanes. A bit crowded, but hey, space is at a premium in space.

In the wrench room, Jackson finds toolkits and workbenches with magnifying lenses and moveable lights, set up to repair and maintain guns and tools in working order. A soldering bench is present, for repairing the electronics in melee weapons and lasers.
On the wall he finds a stack of ammo crates in various small-arms calibers, with lots of hollow-point, soft-nosed, and expanding cartridge types, but little in the way of armor-piercing ammo.
There's also a box of 100 grenades or so, and stores of igniting powder plus empty cartridges.

Rhodes would realize that his limited skillset does not seem applicable to this situation, and decides to stick with the crazy cultist on the bridge.

"Sooo...you've got a plan, right? I'm not actually a fan of calamari, and we probably want to get this thing going before we're forced to eat the captain."

"...how did I not notice that. Anyway, lets see if we can get the machine speaking to us, at least."

Examine the mainframe and try to find any panels or status labels. Try knocking on the mainframe as well, just to be sure.

Abelard slides open a frosted acrylic cover to reveal banks of Universal Serial Ports (USP's), compatible with the TCD (Technology Communication and Debugging) port on his digitron.
The USPs are mostly unoccupied save for a network card and some external storage.

In response to the knocking, the captain's screen sends a voiced alert: "IMPACT DAMAGE TO BRIDGE EQUIPMENT"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:18:18 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 04:25:37 pm »

Jackson picks up the light machine gun and affixes it to his back, assuming there is a strap. With that done, he grabs four grenades and searches the room for a bandolier. If he finds one, he equips it and attaches the grenades. If he cannot find one, he shrugs and rams them into pockets; one per pocket, of course. He's not THAT stupid. With that done, he searches for a sidearm, preferably one with a large clip, then picks up the appropriate hollow point ammo for it. With that done, he returns to the bridge.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 01:25:29 am »

"It's too late now," Rai explains to everything, "If you wanted me dead you should have got my mother."

He smiles.

Crawl through into the bay and explore the cargo, broken ribs can wait.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:32:00 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 01:41:06 am »

"Uh, my apologies. I need to get your attention, and perhaps help get you repaired if need be."

Plug in my digitron and run diagnostics on the internal/external storage. Also attempt to contact the AI if it is operational.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 02:59:57 am »

Welcome to the Corsair Vessel Atomic. Resident Captain: Fred
Location: Rhondeim Perimeter Space, Planet Freon (far orbit), Tau Ceti system
Timestamp [XXXX:31:5:+2880]

"It's too late now," Rai explains to everything, "If you wanted me dead you should have got my mother."

He smiles.

Crawl through into the bay and explore the cargo, broken ribs can wait.

The jetpack allows Rai to move around despite his injury. He descends into the darkness of the cargo bay, its contents obscured in a shadow black as night. The suit has an integral flashlight.

Inside the cargo bay is a mid-sized spacefaring gunship with a cracked canopy, leaking white mist. The engines are mounted on rotors which appear to rotate to provide VTOL capability. It looks streamlined for atmospheric flight.

The bay door on the back looks like it was pried open with a tool, as one edge is bent and the door is open; its cargo consists of a large cryo-stasis coffin and several crates of perishables marked as such.

Spoiler: Rai's Stats (click to show/hide)

"Uh, my apologies. I need to get your attention, and perhaps help get you repaired if need be."

Plug in my digitron and run diagnostics on the internal/external storage. Also attempt to contact the AI if it is operational.

Abelard establishes a connection, but the feeling of transcendental enlightenment eludes him. It appears he will not be one with this machine.
Still, the serial ports aren't locked, and his Digitron provides him with a computer interface to semi-lucidly communicate his thoughts, if only he could execute a driver program on the target computer.

He decides to check the external data drives, unplugging from the mainframe and plugging the drive into his Digitron (the connectors are sexless). The hard drive is surprisingly unencrypted, and many of the sectors on the hard drive are corrupted.

Looking back up at the captain's screen, he notices that the authentication screen is gone, but a banner at the top reads: "Warning: No assistant detected. Automatic security override enabled."
The new crew is now able to manipulate the screens without resistance, although the bridge lights up with warnings that the security override is enabled. It seems that the override isn't something you do regularly, even on a pirate vessel.

Jackson picks up the light machine gun and affixes it to his back, assuming there is a strap. With that done, he grabs four grenades and searches the room for a bandolier. If he finds one, he equips it and attaches the grenades. If he cannot find one, he shrugs and rams them into pockets; one per pocket, of course. He's not THAT stupid. With that done, he searches for a sidearm, preferably one with a large clip, then picks up the appropriate hollow point ammo for it. With that done, he returns to the bridge.

The lift door hisses, and the bridge's occupants are greeted to an imposing figure, well-armed, and well-prepared.

He enters into a bridge in disarray, lights flashing and sirens blaring. The viewscreens to either side display a warning along the margins:

Aside from that, though, everything seems normal. Abeldard plugged his third arm into the AI mainframe, and Rhodes glanced at the left viewscreen, showing someone in a spacesuit investigating the cargo bay.

Spoiler: Jackson's Stats (click to show/hide)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 04:13:06 am »

"The poor being is clearly in a form of disrepair> the barbarous fiends probably stole it from its rightful partners. Worry not, I'll make sure you get back into working order... after we get the ship into order."

head back to the captains monitor and use the new-found security overrides to look for status' reports and supply records.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 07:41:31 am »

Jackson walks over to the viewscreens displaying the interior of the ship, and makes mental note of any areas that seem particularly damaged. With that done, he suits up and follows the other fellow to the cargo bay.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 04:34:19 pm »

Jackson walks over to the viewscreens displaying the interior of the ship, and makes mental note of any areas that seem particularly damaged. With that done, he suits up and follows the other fellow to the cargo bay.

The command section seems particularly red:

That would be the section you are in. But nothing looks particularly damaged, minding the flashing lights and security alerts.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 11:44:02 pm »

Rhodes would yawn audibly, his eyes wandering around the bridge. He's out of his depth here; his specialty is people, not robots or machines. He'd eventually decide he's had enough standing around, and search the bridge for anything the others might've missed.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 03:19:46 am »

Just a cryo-pod? Search for hide goods before searching for some way to identify the guy who may be in the cryo-thing.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 09:37:27 pm »

Rhodes would yawn audibly, his eyes wandering around the bridge. He's out of his depth here; his specialty is people, not robots or machines. He'd eventually decide he's had enough standing around, and search the bridge for anything the others might've missed.

Jackson trawls the outskirts of the bridge, checking behind viewscreens and looking at the backs of the big, rad-hardened computers that run the display. Nothing out of the ordinary for a ship.

He then comes across a vending machine just outside an open door to the bridge, leading toward the crew section. The door isn't closing.
There's a body keeping the door from closing. It has a hole on the right side of its head, and the left half of its face is missing. There's a bag of chips stuck inside the vending machine, wedged between the acrylic cover and one of the dispensers.

He finds an awesome revolver-style pistol and some ammo for it.
Spoiler: Popup Hint (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rhodes' Stats (click to show/hide)

"The poor being is clearly in a form of disrepair> the barbarous fiends probably stole it from its rightful partners. Worry not, I'll make sure you get back into working order... after we get the ship into order."

head back to the captains monitor and use the new-found security overrides to look for status' reports and supply records.

Abelard notices the sensor readout. There's a navy ship nearby, but there's also an unidentified object (probably a crate or something) within a reasonable distance, and then there's a merchant vessel passing by.

Then, Abelard reads the readout for the ship's current level of supplies.

Spoiler: Popup Hint (click to show/hide)
(Last updated 15 mins ago)

Warning: 4 intruders detected inside command section

Total Wet Mass   : 26,270t    /50,000t
Substrate:       : 524t       / 5,000t
Water Storage    : 3,885t     / 5,000t

H2 Storage       : 9,905t     /30,000t
Maximum possible speed:    0.30 AU/day
Antimatter       : 125kg      / 1,000kg
Maximum possible speed:    0.62 AU/day

Icefarm Biomass  : Invalid Data. Please check sensors
Food Stores      : 2t

Jackson made his way to the airlock and left to join Rai inside some kind of dropship he found in the cargo bay. The gunship's canopy is broken and atmosphere is leaking out from inside.
Dropships are pretty rare. They don't get used more-often-than-not since there isn't a way into a colony's airspace for a dropship to enter. Not one that isn't guarded, anyhow.

Rai is already busy looking around. He found a big cryo-pod parked in the center of the dropship's hold, but he's now looking into crates and checking footlockers.

Spoiler: Jackson's Stats (click to show/hide)

Just a cryo-pod? Search for hide goods before searching for some way to identify the guy who may be in the cryo-thing.

Rai exhausts the storage compartments of the dropship's cargo bay, and moves into the small hall between the cargo bay and the cockpit.

There are passenger seats to either side, along with racks embedded into the wall behind the passenger seats (which slide forward on a rail). The racks are locked with a light-up text that only turns on when he steps nearby: "Pressurize before opening."

Spoiler: Rai's Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:38:42 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 10:52:08 pm »

Jackson walks over to the door, finds the point at which the door slides open, and tries to brute force it open.

"You might want to step back, on the off chance the cockpit is pressurized. That is, if I get it open."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 03:42:36 am »

Jackson walks over to the door, finds the point at which the door slides open, and tries to brute force it open.

"You might want to step back, on the off chance the cockpit is pressurized. That is, if I get it open."

The cockpit door itself doesn't seem to be locked. It gives without much resistance, and Jackson hears the motors whir as you put your back to it. There's a faint, off-pitch hiss, and a breeze pushes him back momentarily. Seems like low atmosphere.

This didn't solve the problem of the side racks being locked, but now the cockpit is open for looting. There's a portable computer of unknown design on the dashboard, and the cockpit lights fade in gently.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 11:48:59 am »

Jackson approaches the computer and attempts to locate an on button of any kind. If he does find one, he presses it.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 12:44:03 am »

Loot.

"Wonder who's in the pod. Seems odd to have in a hangered dropship. Maybe its medical."

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11