Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]  (Read 21262 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 12:51:42 am »

"Four intruders, must be us. Our food situation is not looking that good, and our fuel and substrate could use some upgrading, but we seem to not be in imminent danger of death.

Hopefully we can keep it that way. I should see what the engines are whispering."

Head down to the engine room and investigate the machinery.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 05:23:01 am »

Jackson responds,

"It's oddly placed to be medical. You could fit at least one, maybe two more cryopods if you really wanted to be medically efficient. Probably two total, now that I think about it, for ease of access. What I'm saying is, it's taking up too much room to just be normal. Maybe it has symbolic purpose... or something. I dunno. Does it matter? Well, I guess it does. If it is medical, then we'll need to be ready to provide medical attention to whoever is inside... if it's worth our time.

Then again, considering the nature of this ship, the pod is more likely to contain a prisoner or hostage."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 09:46:16 am »

"Nice gun."

Rhodes would very carefully push the crewman's body out of the way, and make his way into the crew section.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 09:58:45 pm »

Loot.

Jackson approached the computer first. Bummer.
He turns off the shuttle computer (by accident?) and the message on the rack disappears. However, with a faint click, a handle unfolds from the rack, and the pressure warning disappears.

Within, Rai finds an automatic SMG loaded with segmented copper hollow-points, as well as a couple vials of unmarked containers holding a white paint-like substance. Each vial has a spray head on the top. However, the vials seem to be leaking, the contents sublimating into the vacuum.

Spoiler: Rai's Stats (click to show/hide)

Jackson responds,

"It's oddly placed to be medical. You could fit at least one, maybe two more cryopods if you really wanted to be medically efficient. Probably two total, now that I think about it, for ease of access. What I'm saying is, it's taking up too much room to just be normal. Maybe it has symbolic purpose... or something. I dunno. Does it matter? Well, I guess it does. If it is medical, then we'll need to be ready to provide medical attention to whoever is inside... if it's worth our time.

Then again, considering the nature of this ship, the pod is more likely to contain a prisoner or hostage."

Jackson approaches the computer, and presses the large button on the front.
The lights of the cockpit fade to black, the hissing stops, and the door to the cockpit hangs open, requiring manual effort to close.

The cryopod, on the other hand, seems to be self-contained, still 'on' according to the status light. Typically a person inside sets either a time or a trigger to be woken up, but without knowing the trigger you might have to physically hack the cryopod to trigger a thaw. Best to do such a thing in a pressurized environment.

Spoiler: Jackson's Stats (click to show/hide)

"Four intruders, must be us. Our food situation is not looking that good, and our fuel and substrate could use some upgrading, but we seem to not be in imminent danger of death.

Hopefully we can keep it that way. I should see what the engines are whispering."

Head down to the engine room and investigate the machinery.

The engine room... yes... the engine room... Abelard can't find anything of the sort on the maps. It seems that the engine occupies half the ship's zero-G portion, and there's no way to visit it without hopping into a space suit and investigating it himself.
In fact, there seems to be no way to visit the other hab section of the ship without doing the same. That seems inefficient, but it greatly simplifies the ship layout.

The engine is fed by metallic hydrogen rods chopped into pellets by an extractor and stripped of their electrons in a plasma cage. They are then accelerated by magnetic coils out the back of the ship, and a stream of antimatter plasma collides with the hydrogen to form a continuous plasma explosion out the back of the ship, directed by the magnetic nozzle.
Abelard has never seen anything this... abhorrent. Who knows what the radiation will do to the engine parts.

"Nice gun."

Rhodes would very carefully push the crewman's body out of the way, and make his way into the crew section.

The crewman's body is now out of the way, its previous location marked by an outline of dried blood.

Rhodes enters the crew section: a three story structure with rooms and offices at the top and bottom levels, and a social area on the center level; a central stairwell at the end of the hall leads down to a sort of cantina area illuminated by blazing orange floodlights, while the hallways are lit in dim purple.
He finds the location of the kitchen, a distillery, laundry, and other basic amenities.

Most doors are closed, but not locked; the doors on the second level open whenever he walks up to them.

Spoiler: Rhodes' Stats (click to show/hide)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 05:32:14 am »

"Hmm..."
Jackson exits the craft and instead investigates the contents of the cargo bay.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 06:17:50 pm »

Go to the computer and pressurize the small ship. Do the cans stop leaking? I also would like to open the cryo pod.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 07:42:29 pm »

Find any locked doors in the crew section; that's where the fun stuff is.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 01:01:20 am »

"Accursed pirates, torturing and casting aside machine like junk. Not to mention incredibly inefficient. Well, might as well explore the other Hab deck."

Go to the hab deck and search for a spacesuit, then begin heading over to the other hab deck
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 03:31:21 am »

Go to the computer and pressurize the small ship. Do the cans stop leaking? I also would like to open the cryo pod.

Rai turns the computer back on, and with it, a subtle breeze.
It seems Jackson left. At least he closed the door on the way out. With a tenuous atmosphere, the containers stop leaking, but not before encrusting themselves with a layer of foam not unlike shaving cream.

He sits at the computer and looks for a control for the cryopod. Nothing on the main screen.

Footsteps audible, he walks back to the cryopod and looks for a way to open it, but it seems this model only has controls on the inside. It's a personal model. It's not meant to be operated by someone else.
There is a serial port, however.

"Hmm..."
Jackson exits the craft and instead investigates the contents of the cargo bay.

Jackson re-enters the zero-G, zero pressure environment of the cargo bay. Surrounding the dropship are various crates and barrels tied down to magnetic clamps on the floor.
They're labelled Hydrogen. Water. Oxygen. The usual stuff you'd find in a cargo bay. The colonial loading docks are the same way.

But some of the other wares seem out-of-place. There's a crane inside the cargo bay strapped to the floor, its base oriented sideways. The giant mounting bolts are warped.
There's also forklifts and other tending equipment. They all have the same manufacturer as the crane. Yet these are brand names. You don't recognize the brand, but they seem like they've been taken from a colony somewhere, or perhaps they once belonged to a navy vessel.

Find any locked doors in the crew section; that's where the fun stuff is.

Rhodes tests the doors in the crew section. All of them that aren't locked, are empty, save for some furniture bolted to the wall. Most of the stuff is cheap carbon fiber, but they aren't all the same. Rather, it seems like each empty room was stolen from a different vessel.
Those couple that were locked, had signs marking the former owner.

He does come across one that wasn't locked, yet was formerly occupied, as evidenced by litter, posters on the wall, and personal belongings scattered about inside, like a silent memorial. A plastic sign hung over the door reads, in some space-age font, "Patches' Rom" [sic].
Since this one isn't locked, Rhodes checks the next, which has an acrid smell wafting through the door. This one isn't marked at all by a sign.

All of this comes to a total of 14 rooms on the upper floor; 10 unlocked and empty, 3 locked, and Patches' Rom.

"Accursed pirates, torturing and casting aside machine like junk. Not to mention incredibly inefficient. Well, might as well explore the other Hab deck."

Go to the hab deck and search for a spacesuit, then begin heading over to the other hab deck

Abelard hops into the airlock. However, before thrusting himself into vacuum he realizes that there are no spacesuits with room for a third arm. Whoops.
He ends up having to take a detour back to where the party arrived in that awful boarding shuttle. He came in a bulky spacesuit where he was able to get away with stuffing the mechanical protrusion down his back, but the pirate spacesuits are mostly skintight to allow a better range of motion and a more efficient means of pressurization.

The problem is that the old suit doesn't have a jetpack, unlike the pirate suits. Without a jetpack it might be hard to jump to the other side of a spinning ship.

Spoiler: Abelard's Stats (click to show/hide)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »

Rai's eyes lock onto the serial port. He challenges it with a glare. He doesn't feel like playing binary 20 questions right now.

"Open sesame."

Disappointed (Unless? Hm??? HMMM?), Rai fetches one of those bottles. Could it be some kind of fire retardant? Sealant? Right now Rai doesn't feel like it would help him to know. He writes I'm going to fucking kill you on the wall across from the cryo chamber in foam. If it doesn't stick abandon the effort. He then opens the door and leaves all hands-in-spacesuit-pocket like with the SMG (and ammo?) tucked under his arm.

Explore another area, Rai's not picky.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:08:05 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 11:17:01 pm »

"...problematic. Wait, I could jury-rig the jet pack onto the suit that fits. It might just work. I would need to enlist the aid of other machines though."

Head over to the fighter bay and look for tools to help move the jet pack from the old suit and attach it onto the one that fits.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 05:26:54 am »

Jackson returns to the bridge.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2017, 09:14:41 am »

Rhodes would carefully search "Patches' Rom" for anything useful/important. Maybe instructions as to how to get the AI to not want you dead? (Unlikely, but who knows?)
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2017, 08:37:16 pm »

Rai's eyes lock onto the serial port. He challenges it with a glare. He doesn't feel like playing binary 20 questions right now.

"Open sesame."

Disappointed (Unless? Hm??? HMMM?), Rai fetches one of those bottles. Could it be some kind of fire retardant? Sealant? Right now Rai doesn't feel like it would help him to know. He writes I'm going to fucking kill you on the wall across from the cryo chamber in foam. If it doesn't stick abandon the effort. He then opens the door and leaves all hands-in-spacesuit-pocket like with the SMG (and ammo?) tucked under his arm.

Explore another area, Rai's not picky.

Rai decides to take a look at the engine block.
His ears fill with a popping noise, characteristic of a Geiger counter. So he keeps going.

He glances across to the far side of the ship, and gets to behold the entirety of the ship's magnetic nozzle: bundles of white filament, wrapped in a spiral fixed at a mast behind the ship.
Said mast looks like it's tangled in some kind of black fabric. Going over there to fix it, however, would require actually exposing himself to deadly radiation.

Recovery: [9 > 5 points regained]

Jackson returns to the bridge.

Jackson notices that the spacesuit isn't a hassle to move around in when he re-enters gravity.

He finds himself back inside the bridge, standing between two viewscreens. One shows a map of the Tau Ceti system and the current locations of the planets. The Atomic is currently parked in orbit of planet Freon, along with colonies built to take advantage of mutual protection and magnetospheric shielding.
A swift click brings up a map of nearby objects. The colony Rhondeim is in the distance, a few hundred km away, while a navy ship marked with a (!) is currently moving into intra-colonial space (defined as 1Mm away from any colony) so that it can use its planetary thrusters.

A nearby ship in a holding pattern markets itself as a merchant vessel. It's been there for about an hour, however. Perhaps they're awaiting docking clearance... or perhaps they're suspicious of your ship.

Finally, the ship detects a nearby object at 15 km. It'll take only a few minutes to get there using cold thrusters. It also lacks a transponder.
Speaking of which, the Atomic isn't currently broadcasting its presence. There are a couple looted tags available at the captain's chair. Do you want to display one?

Rhodes would carefully search "Patches' Rom" for anything useful/important. Maybe instructions as to how to get the AI to not want you dead? (Unlikely, but who knows?)

The room is deserted, but not bereft of textbooks and manuals printed off the Web. However, most of these aren't ship manuals. They're chemistry books, biology books, botanical manuals... and a strange map of Rhondeim among other colonies, with unlabeled points highlighted on the colony's craggy asteroidal surface.

The acrid smell from the other door is also present in here as well. It registers especially strongly toward the back of the room, even though there is no visible source.

"...problematic. Wait, I could jury-rig the jet pack onto the suit that fits. It might just work. I would need to enlist the aid of other machines though."

Head over to the fighter bay and look for tools to help move the jet pack from the old suit and attach it onto the one that fits.

Abelard leaves the airlock, dragging the two limp suits unceremoniously across the floor whilst manipulating hatches with the third.

He sets them down atop a workbench in the hangar bay, and looks around. There are three small ships in the bay: KINESIS, CAREBEAR, and VOULGE.

Spoiler: Ship Hangar (3/8) (click to show/hide)

After gazing upon the grandeur of these magnificent vehicles, he gets back to work and sticks the jetpack in a vice. He finds tools all over, but nothing well-suited to rewiring electronics and making jumper connections.
[4 > 1] He ends up with a jetpack suit and a couple miserable scraps left of the other suit.

Spoiler: Abelard's Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:52:40 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2017, 08:47:59 pm »

Jackson plugs in the Atomic Tag.

"Let the whole world- uhh... local solar area, know of our existence, and fear."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11