Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rot  (Read 1123 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rot
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:15:43 am »

Since I caught three giant cave spiders, I have become something of a collector of forgotten beasts, especially fun ones with interesting syndromes.

I finally caught one with a deadly dust that causes full body swelling and then rotting. Jackpot, I think. I build him into a turret outside my gate house, all invaders have to walk past him to enter. Next siege I try him out.

Sure enough, enormous quantities of the goblins and trolls get the full body rotting treatment and the halls fill with miasma. Only they don't die? They're walking around with completely rotten bodies but they function just fine. What, literally, does rotting do to a living creature?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Rot
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09:36 pm »

They might die after a while. Are they bleeding at all?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 12:22:38 pm »

They might die after a while. Are they bleeding at all?

Nope! not one drop! In theory they might be losing blood from infections, but I can't tell. I have one of them under observation and its been about a season and he still lives.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 03:59:45 pm »

I guess it's practically a zombie machine.... In my experience, rot eventually means loss of limbs, and thus a sessile situation: They can't move around, so they're easier to kill. But that might not be the case here.

What do you do about preventing the dust from adhering to someones boot, being tracked inside, and killing the fortress?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 05:48:24 pm »

T H E B A T H !
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 06:08:05 pm »

I guess it's practically a zombie machine.... In my experience, rot eventually means loss of limbs, and thus a sessile situation: They can't move around, so they're easier to kill. But that might not be the case here.

What do you do about preventing the dust from adhering to someones boot, being tracked inside, and killing the fortress?

Just as Insert_Gnome_Here says. I live in an uncommonly hostile haunted hillside, and the rain causes full body (non-fatal) blistering. I installed a shower as soon as i could, so anything that comes in through the front door gets a wash off.

The observed prisoner died eventually, after half a year. I guess infection took him. He lost no limbs, and he held onto his weapons till the very end, so there was no loss of function, nor did his lungs stop working despite being rotted. It seems the only thing that rotting seems to have done here is cause infection, which is a bit underwhelming.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 06:13:02 pm »

PTW, Forgotten beast syndrome science is best science.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Merlota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 06:35:47 pm »

The observed prisoner died eventually, after half a year. I guess infection took him. He lost no limbs, and he held onto his weapons till the very end, so there was no loss of function, nor did his lungs stop working despite being rotted. It seems the only thing that rotting seems to have done here is cause infection, which is a bit underwhelming.

Sounds like a really good way to train your medics.  If there is no loss of function, only scarring, after the rot is cut away the nobles cheesemakers volunteers can be sent back.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:10 pm »

Sounds like a really good way to train your medics.  If there is no loss of function, only scarring, after the rot is cut away the nobles cheesemakers volunteers can be sent back.

As it happens I have considered using this as a healthcare prompt. The danger of the fortress means i'm constantly getting little injuries like broken nails or mangled ears and to stem the steady stream of stupid infection deaths i could give the patient a rotting hosedown and prompt a full physical. more science needed...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 07:15:28 pm »

I had a couple of rotting cats running around after exposure to weather and they died after about a season.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 07:44:47 pm »

As it happens I have considered using this as a healthcare prompt. The danger of the fortress means i'm constantly getting little injuries like broken nails or mangled ears and to stem the steady stream of stupid infection deaths i could give the patient a rotting hosedown and prompt a full physical. more science needed...

I can see it now.....
A dorf walks in to the tavern with half his body painted with warped, rippling scars...
"What happened to you?"
"Well, I got this papercut... It was nothing really... and then..."
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 08:11:21 pm »

Dwarven Medicine: most prefer to die, actually
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 12:44:53 am »

There is a persistent bug with necrosis; it never kills anything directly.  Full body health is not checked unless the unit is in combat.  If the brain completely rots, the creature will continue walking around until the moment they enter combat, at which point they instantly drop dead.  Infection can kill, but it takes a long time and is mostly up to chance and can be deterred by healthcare.

Wahll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 05:19:52 am »

Yeah, I've just been confronted to some "extreme swelling, advanced rot" (on every body part, including the bones for the rot) poisonous vapors and the affected dwarf managed to live to get treated (not the bones though). But the thing is, after surgery they were unable to breathe so they died. I now wonder if they would have lived longer if they did not get the surgery.

Now that I think about it, maybe they had their rotten lungs removed by the surgeon. I did not check (the list of "cut open" parts was very long).

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 07:40:01 am »

Still sounds useful. Get them dosed, get them hosed in a bath, then get them into battle and watch them deteriorate without doing as much against your people.