Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pulping in Real Life  (Read 3235 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Pulping in Real Life
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:46:49 pm »

The thing DF misses in damage assessment is "recruitment". Each body part is its own entity, and it doesn't "pass along" the stresses that pass over a certain threshold to the body parts attached adjacent to it.  Blunt force trauma is different from cutting or piercing trauma because of that very reason: recruitment.  When your fist strikes someone else's leg for instance, there is a "bloom" effect around that wound where the impact damage is lessened by the various tissues adjacent to that area taking some of the damage "load" off of the point of impact.  The affected area becomes the entire body via systemic shock with a large enough blow.  The rib cage is specifically meant to shed blunt force trauma into less important areas of the body because of this specific mechanic.
See, that's something I love about Dwarf Fortress.  You learn stuff.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 07:58:50 pm »

Pulping a body is just a vague umbrella for 'physiologically unable to perform its function'.

When something is 'pulped into an unrecognizable mass', it is just that: pulped -> with the qualifier being that it is no longer resemblant of its original form.

But DF uses these terms too lightly, and it happens to often.  imo
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 05:19:59 pm »

It's entirely possible to pulp flesh with a weapon (even just hitting things with a rock) or even bare-handed punches if you hit long enough.  It doesn't necessarily mean 'the whole part physically explodes', but that the part is unrecognizable.  Mash a limb until the bones have multiple compound fractures and cannot support any weight (and may tear skin and spill out), and it's pulped.  That's entirely possible with a large hammer, or even stomping down with full weight upon a cantilevered long-boned limb.  Beat someone in the head until their skull caves in and brains spill out?  That's pulping. 

Pulping is really meant to say something is incapable of being used, even when they are an undead or something, so breaking the bones will stop a skeleton or zombie as they can no longer put weight on that limb.  Smash the jaw out of its socket, and even a skull trying to bite its way across the floor will be stopped.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 06:55:58 pm »

I like King Mir's idea: replacing the word "pulp" with "mangle" (pulps/pulped ==> mangles/mangled).  That actually makes more sense cosmetically while at the same time not affecting the mechanism that uses the term.  Bravo, King Mir!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 08:16:49 pm »

I mean, I don't think the game ever actually uses the word "pulp" as a verb.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 09:53:19 am »

The term comes from Toady's development log and FotF, primarily with respect to keeping undead from reanimating.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:56:23 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 06:38:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware of where it's from, but also saying that the game doesn't use it. It usually uses more descriptive things, like collapsing into an unrecognizable mass.
Pages: 1 [2]