Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Firearms and ammo  (Read 1268 times)

Lytalo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Firearms and ammo
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:36:58 pm »

I recently built up a human fort and finally got some muskets. But when I go to the military screen I cannot equip my musketeers with bullets, only arrows and bolts. They do have quivers left over from when they were crossbowmen. Is there a special ammo pouch for bullets? So currently my muskets appear to be useless, I do have bullets in the fort, both steel and copper. They just don't show up as an ammo type. This is the newest version, 1.26.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:41:57 pm by Lytalo »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Firearms and ammo
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:26:29 pm »

interesting... I've never messed with the guns... but I wonder about the ammo stack sizes...

from the wiki:
Quivers and Bolts
Please note that bolts are assigned to a squad, not to individual dwarves. If you have a squad of 10 marksdwarves, you need to assign at least 250 bolts to the squad. 500 is better.
Quivers can hold between 25 and 49 bolts, and dwarves will pick up multiple stacks if necessary to reach a number in this range. In other words, dwarves will continue picking up stacks of bolts until they've got at least 25 in their quiver (or they run out of squad-assigned bolt stacks). Bolt stacks are collected in last-in-first-out order (LIFO); that is, dwarves will always go for the newest bolts in your fortress, even if there is an ammo stockpile three steps away from them. Each squad with marksdwarves must be assigned ammo; as they deplete it, Dwarf Fortress will automatically add additional ammo to the squad if there is some in the fortress, again following the principle of LIFO.

what stack sizes are you able to make of bullets?

If they are only 50+ then try this:
target a unit with 'v' then in dfhack console type:
createitems AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET INORGANIC:BRONZE 50

reduce the number by 1 and make another and another, keep checking the military screen to see if they show up... tell me what number you have to get below for them to pick up the stack... On my end I'll start editing down all the reactions... all I'm seeing here are 50 and 100 stacks... and well a quiver wont hold 50 stack according to the web... let me know what you end up at and I'll have a raw edit for you for the future so you can save your fort.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Lytalo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:25:49 pm »

Well I did figure out how to assign bullets to the squad....military menus are still a pain. hehe
Although so far no one has gotten rid of their arrows for bullets. I will see what happens. I have a couple hundred bullets, probably just take some time, get them to go on and off duty a few times or go kill something maybe will force their hand.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:17 pm »

so it finally let you assign the bullets? I'm curious... let me know if they ever pick them up... If I have time I'll test the muskets and bullets myself to make sure.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal