Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What embarks are you guys doing with masterwork since 64bit?  (Read 945 times)

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to do 10x10, and I'm looking to see if i can push it up, I can actually do a full 16x16 embark but the game starts at 40/30 fps :P when I'm used to like 150+ (At least at the start) so that doesn't look promising (Considering it used to run out of memory before, this is a massive improvement :P), the only reason I like large embarks is because of its longevity, more variable resources etc. I'm just looking for numbers, a quick "I tend do do (X by X) and i get around XX / XX fps" would really help me, but also help others.
LP'er

Aelforth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What embarks are you guys doing with masterwork since 64bit?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:54:41 am »

I like 2x1 (w:h) embarks. Nice, small, keeps my forts compact and fps-friendly. I'm refining an obsidian caster for my stone and rely on blood/tears of armok for more portable gen though. May also be worth noting I cap migrants at 30 and strict cap 120 (long forts, rely on babies primarily) and set fps to 300. Older hardware, but I tend to keep around 250 at 40 dwarves, which is most of my playthrough. I do try to be pathfind-friendly and utilize quantum piles extensively though, but with the faster fps and enabling multiple labors on a dwarf (I have about 10 working dwarves for the main guild professions + a broker/book-keeper/doctor/manager, 10-20 military and the rest as peasantry) I really dont notice a huge difference in the speed to complete projects.

Also set siege/titans accordingly for the pop for !!FUN!!.

I've been branching out a lot more and trying evil and savage embarks, to varying success.. also been trying to rely on floodgate-based entrances rather than bridges. I get some warning and protection, but still not immune to surprise attacks.