Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visitor questions  (Read 1151 times)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
Visitor questions
« on: May 29, 2017, 02:51:11 am »

I've recently started a new fortress, Ilonilon "Moonmoon," and have had some weird things happen with visitors. In previous forts, I've had maybe five or six at a time, even when my fort was huge. Now, I've got a fort that is averaging around 20 visitors and 12 long-term residents, less than five years after being established. Also, my king is here, listed as a "Diplomat". My best guess about that is that the previous king died and the outpost liaison inherited, but there was no announcement. I've only recently started playing the latest release with the 64-bit LNP, so I don't know if there was just a big change to visitor code or if Moonmoon is just unusually blessed.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Visitor questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »

Definitely the visitor code. It's remarkable how much it changed things.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:14:43 pm »

One odd thing I have noticed, though. I initially got a whole lot of petitions to stay, but after about a dozen they stopped entirely, even though I'm nowhere near my population cap.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 05:05:16 pm »

What's the population like in your world? If everyone's dead they won't come to visit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:07:18 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 05:29:29 pm »

What's the population like in your world? If everyone's dead they won't come to visit.

Oh, they're coming to visit. I've got about fifty visitors at the moment, but I haven't had any petition to stay in over two years, and my outpost liaison doesn't come to talk to my mayor for some reason. Other diplomacy seems to work fine, but no petitions/outpost liaison.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:04:08 pm »

Oh, they're coming to visit. I've got about fifty visitors at the moment, but I haven't had any petition to stay in over two years, and my outpost liaison doesn't come to talk to my mayor for some reason. Other diplomacy seems to work fine, but no petitions/outpost liaison.
There is a missing liaison bug. But he might just be busy/dead. You'd have to check Legends.
Do you have enough rooms for your long term residents assigned to the tavern?

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »

There is a missing liaison bug. But he might just be busy/dead. You'd have to check Legends.
Do you have enough rooms for your long term residents assigned to the tavern?
I have enough rooms for long-term residents, and the liaison shows up at the fort with the caravan, he just doesn't meet with my leader. He hangs around the tavern, then moseys off a couple months later. I wonder if this might be related to the fact that my liaison got promoted to king during his last visit, but there was a new liaison this time and still no meeting was held.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 04:11:08 am »

One odd thing I have noticed, though. I initially got a whole lot of petitions to stay, but after about a dozen they stopped entirely, even though I'm nowhere near my population cap.

Sounds like the "new mayor" bug: The one where you have to reassign your old mayor to get the petition list to continue to function.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 06:47:54 am »

Sounds like the "new mayor" bug: The one where you have to reassign your old mayor to get the petition list to continue to function.

That was like two years ago, and I don't remember which dwarf was mayor then. I don't think the mayor was replaced at the time, so I was wondering if it might have happened because the outpost liaison suddenly became my monarch during his visit or the random dwarf getting promoted to nobility. Is there any other work-around that you know of beyond re-appointing the old mayor (if I can figure out which dwarf that was and they didn't get killed in the mean time)?

EDIT: suddenly, and without any change that I noticed, I was suddenly inundated with roughly twenty new petitions at once. They now seem to be coming in a steady trickle, unsure why there was such a long drought or why they started again.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:04:32 pm by Salkryn »