Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Problem with War...  (Read 1060 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
The Problem with War...
« on: May 29, 2017, 04:16:28 am »

... is that no one wants to declare it. I've tried everything. I'm embarked as humans only a few (like 6 at most) map tiles away from pandashi, badgermen, goblins, and succubi, but I just can't get anyone to declare war on me or siege me or anything. I've even been inviting goblins and succubi to trade via the merchant guild and then seizing their goods and slaughtering them in the depot, and still they won't come fight me! I've been doing this for 4 years!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those are all traders and their guards. They're just totally uninterested in taking revenge. I'm getting full up on eliminators and gore cyclops because the goblins bring them as trade animals, I kill the goblins, and the pets stay with me. I don't even want the damn loot from the caravans. I just want someone to try to kill me. What am I doing wrong?
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: The Problem with War...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:29:37 am »

War seems to be pretty broken in this version.  Hopefully the next update will be better.

In the meantime, I've had some luck modding in large swarms of powerful wild animals with CURIOUSBEAST tags for occasional "invasions".

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:02:30 am »

Also might be worth looking into some sort of prevention for what I've been doing with the caravans... seems a little bit cheap  :P

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:24:50 am »

War isn't broken, it just has a heap of requirements before a siege can happen. The civ that is going to siege you has to know you are there, like a scout has to have seen your site, or a member has to have come for a tavern/library, or they have to heard rumors or something of you being there. Then, they have to be aware that you are worth attacking, same deal as before, but recent enough information that they see you have dorfbucks. Finally, they have to actually march an army to you.

If you are summoning succubus traders, but the succubus civ is unrelated to the traders(I don't know how the trader summons works, do is actually pull from a civ or just magic them up?) then the civ itself would have no reason to send an army.

Basically, war is now hard and sieges are difficult to initiate.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:14:02 pm »

Yeah, that's a good point. I hadn't thought that maybe they're just not related to the civ. Would be kinda strange for them to just be magically summonsed, but then, there are many strange things in DF, even more so in Masterwork. Either way, it does kinda suck that you can't declare war yourself somehow. Maybe in a future version...