Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on potentially hiring an animator.  (Read 1145 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Advice on potentially hiring an animator.
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:33 pm »

Greetings,

I'm currently in the pre-production phase of developing a short film, and due to the difficulties in finding space to build a set and shoot the film, I have begun to wonder if animation is an option. For reference, it is a ~21 minute science-fiction comedy, and the script is already written. I had originally planned to film it during the school semester with some peers of mine. Unfortunately, while I have been able to secure the actors, cinematographer, and a number of other essential crew members, the few people I have considered (and are actually blooded and able) for producer simply cannot commit the time to it, and without that extra pair of hands, pre-production has fizzled to a halt with myself and a few others having trouble locating a suitable location that won't break the bank or isn't more trouble than it's worth.

And then it struck me that the film might easily be adapted to animation, and that, considering the set, the characters, and the fact that I normally write for animations anyways, I thought that this could be a good opportunity to get a piece of my work (I am the writer as well as director) made in the medium that I would most like to work with.

Unfortunately, I have even less experience in hiring than I do finding locations. I'm not even sure where I would go to hire an animator or team of animators or what such a venture might cost. To be clear, as a creative myself, I do not expect anyone to work for free (although I have been blessed with a number of friends who are uniquely talented and passionate about the project who have decided to help out) and there would be a budget for animation in place.

Any thoughts on where I might find an animator(s) and what to expect?

EDIT: does anyone have experience on sites like freelancer or upwork?

EDIT2: to further clarifying the only thing that needs doing is the actual animating. Music, Dialogue, Sound Mixing/Editing, Editing, storyboarding, etc. can happen on my end.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:34:37 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on potentially hiring an animator.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »

You might be underestimating the amount of work that is needed to make an animation from scratch, even with today's computer editing tools.
22 minutes of animation can easily be a full-time job for weeks if not months for a single animator.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on potentially hiring an animator.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:34:51 pm »

You might be underestimating the amount of work that is needed to make an animation from scratch, even with today's computer editing tools.
22 minutes of animation can easily be a full-time job for weeks if not months for a single animator.

I actually talked to a few animators just to gauge the kind of prices that they were looking for and the real amount of work it would take and it is indeed a buttload. In fact, I'm gonna lock this topic because it's way out of my price range to actually consider animation.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.