Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forest Fire & Collapse Problems (succubus)  (Read 1514 times)

arthoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Forest Fire & Collapse Problems (succubus)
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:16 am »

Hello, my first time posting here though been playing df for years. Had given df a rest for a year to wait for new updates and stuff. Now I'm back, nice work with masterwork and with my new pc hopefully I'll be able to build a huge underground city.

Though I have one problem which is making me mad. Each time using succubus and sending the lady of pain to kill animals, she starts a forest fire....fine by me. However the forest fire burn non-stop....no amount of rain could stop it. Before rain could stop fire but not anymore apparently. Worst, the new trees design that fire cause them to collapse....and every second the game pause and warn me that "something have collapse".

I've spent an hour waiting and pushing the unpause button every second....the game is unplayable and becoming a mental torture for me. Luckily the fire does not burn the pile of cut logs on the ground.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forest Fire & Collapse Problems (succubus)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 01:19:25 pm »

You can turn off the pause: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Announcement

The problem is even worse.  Sometimes the whole tree doesn't come down.  Later, when you send out your wood cutters, there is another cave-in that stuns or kills the lumberjack.  I think this is causes by some of the branches of one tree not burning but the trunk does.  The branches are supported by a neighboring tree.  I think real lumberjacks call these "widow makers". 
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

arthoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:57:22 pm »

Thanks. It took me 3 days to setup the installation since I got confused with the graphics and word selection. Not to mention a week or two to relearn everything, though a lot of stuff is coming back to me as I play. Had reverted to the old masterwork for now, sad that the new one still got a few deadly bugs to it.

For me the tree killed my digger or builder. If they accidentally walk onto the branches while digging a moat or building a wall they got stuck and die from dehydration. I realise this too late. Also the branches often grows over the wall....nice mechanics since if I'm not careful enemy could climb over it, had a lone goblin archer sneaked inside my walls once. Forgot a tree had grown big next to my wall and the branch gone over the top.

Just wondering out of topic....is there something that affect migration? I got from 7 to 32 people within two migration. At that point abandoned my fortress, I prefer playing with low population for the "fun" factor.

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:20:17 pm »

Thanks. It took me 3 days to setup the installation since I got confused with the graphics and word selection. Not to mention a week or two to relearn everything, though a lot of stuff is coming back to me as I play. Had reverted to the old masterwork for now, sad that the new one still got a few deadly bugs to it.

For me the tree killed my digger or builder. If they accidentally walk onto the branches while digging a moat or building a wall they got stuck and die from dehydration. I realise this too late. Also the branches often grows over the wall....nice mechanics since if I'm not careful enemy could climb over it, had a lone goblin archer sneaked inside my walls once. Forgot a tree had grown big next to my wall and the branch gone over the top.

Just wondering out of topic....is there something that affect migration? I got from 7 to 32 people within two migration. At that point abandoned my fortress, I prefer playing with low population for the "fun" factor.

Dwarves getting stuck in trees is vanilla behavior. Pathfinding issue, quite common.
Floating death branches sounds nearly as bad as floating death ramps, except the floating death ramps have a habit of repeating their falls forever.

You can limit maximum fortress size via the init file or from the masterwork launcher, bottom left corner on the first tab.
Migration wave sizes vary in vanilla DF and have always done so. Waves of up to size 77 have been reported.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:40 pm »

additionally you can type deramp in the DFHack console... and that can sometimes delete the death ramps mentioned above and branches hanging on to other trees and walls its not perfect.  It can also get rid of hanging ramps from fires that didn't fall but are waiting to collapse.

Its all bad vanilla behavior, where all the paths to the ramp are destroyed same tick, so the math doesn't figure it's collapse for until a map check/cleanup several ticks later.

Best thing you can do as succubus is keep trees cut down. keep fields you want to grow trees on blocked off with a wall and at least 5 gap of water or walkways.  utilize an exterior wall or trap zones around the map edge.  rain can stop fires... but it has to hit the squares that are on fire... it doesn't work as good as the old system did.  Also avoid damage to your succubus by using cloaks and full sets of armor... any bleeding cut, spit, snot, or sneeze can set everything it hits on fire, one of the hazards of being a succubus.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:28:07 am »

The amount of migrants you get is, roughly, determined by the fortress value. If you're fortress is worth a lot, and isn't full of horrible, awful death constantly, you tend to get swarmed by migrants.

arthoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 05:53:27 pm »

I see....the fortress value. I guess it's hard to control that with human faction needed to gather a lot of gold for their guild....and more human population leads to production of more high value merchandise and trade....

Sad, changing the announcement.txt file doesn't work. Had tried a fortress in a haunted biome. With my succubus fighting zombie body parts....non-stop forest fire everywhere.

I guess have to lay off succubus for a while. What a pity and I just built a network of trenches for a war against the undead. Maybe I'll try a desert biome....or kobold.

Thanks everyone....I can't wait for the new necromancer.

(EDIT. It worked...really feel silly. I searched my whole pc and changed item in all the announcement.txt that I could find)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:18:41 pm by arthoz »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 07:44:31 pm »

nopause enabled in dfhack will also stop it from pausing the game... but the announcement will still happen... the zoom to location will still occur.  there is suppose to be a way to stop the zoom too... but I really think thats pushing your luck
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »

nopause enabled in dfhack will also stop it from pausing the game... but the announcement will still happen... the zoom to location will still occur.  there is suppose to be a way to stop the zoom too... but I really think thats pushing your luck

No luck pushing at all, you just have to remove both the Pause [P] and the Recenter [R].

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:00:16 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 06:07:07 am »

lol... well yeah lmiere but I meant a way to stop it while in game and renenabling it later without having to resort to editing raws directly... lol
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group