Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you all like to see one or two more dwarf subraces to go along with the vanilla Dwarves and the Corrupt Dwarves?

One more would be good.
- 4 (100%)
Two more, please.
- 0 (0%)
I think we have enough dwarf races, thank you very much.
- 0 (0%)
I care not, do as you please!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Culture Shock: Suggestion/Idea Thread  (Read 10758 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Culture Shock: Suggestion/Idea Thread
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:16:44 pm »

Culture Shock: The Suggestion/Idea Thread

Normal release thread and such: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162478.0

Do you have any suggestions for any new races or creatures or whatever?

If so, put them down here!

I may also put ideas for stuff in here too.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Shock: Suggestion/Idea Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 04:40:59 pm »

First idea I have come up with since starting this: Desert Dwarves! Originally, the idea was Surface Dwarves, but I thought they'd be too similar to vanilla humans, just replace the humans and randomly generated laws with dwarves and dwarven laws.
But Desert Dwarves could be interesting... What do you all think?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:21:44 am »

Diversity is good, However try to refrain from adding too many entities, as there are only 4 seasons you can have them show up in, and if you get too many friendly races, and hostile races you run out of times when they can come/show up. You can control that with their TRIGGER values, but that only makes them show up at a certain threshold.

I'd recommend looking into your current races. And seeing if you can multi culture them (what does that mean?) by using Castes you can make say your Existing "Dunemen" also include "Desert Dwarves" and even "Sand Elves (exiles from normal elves for crimes of touching metal? Vanilla Elves seem to exile based on Oath Breaking, Lying, Assault, Slavery, and Treason)"

For these "rogue"/"nomad" type entities it works great as it's just a band of exiles, and ruffians that just don't agree with their homelands's rules making their own, crude civilization. If anything I believe they are one of your hostile civs (Dunemen) they could be upped to mid to end game as with inclusion (if you make them multi culture) of dwarves would allow them Steel processing. Through control of SKILL_RATEs you can make it so invasion forces would have squads composed of those that would use the desired weapons IE humans can use bows and crossbows, Elves bows, and dwarves crossbows by making their learn rates for those weapons faster or impossible. Makes for interesting seiges when you know a hammer squad is mostly dwarves, and a spear squad would be elves, with a mix of archer squads.

Icedwellers sound like they should be Nordic in nature, resembling Vikings (with Berserker castes that favor long swords and battle axes, with enragement combined with a self interaction (or pass it on interaction) to give them a temporary blood lust boost)

Hellspawn and Corrupt dwarves seem like they can be combined much like Dunemen, Desert Dwarves, and Sand Elves?
If Hellspawn and the C-Dwarves you go the route of multi cultured (castes) Succubi/Incubus Slaver/Masters to herald and manage the Hellspawn(human) and Corrupt Dwarves thralls. Since you're planning on nerfing the Hellspawn, caste them out more as well, like "hallow" castes that are gaunt almost mummified skeletal humans which are numerous cannon fodder, to fresh cursed humans that just suffer from discolored skin and eyes, to favored cursed humans that were given gifts from their dark masters. I'd exclude Elves as they have their mirror Dark Elves

Since most terms Hob is Hearth you could include Hobgoblins as a smaller weaker/faster caste of Goblin, and include Orcs as the larger caste of goblins. Making the vanilla goblins more diverse (Hobgoblin > Goblins > Orcs)

I've been meaning to get back into modding DF.
Some ideas since I've only ranted about Massive multi caste-ing your current races:
MEGA-BEAST Shadow Lord: A Shadow Lord is rumored to be a source of boogeymen, or a ruler of them; the relationship hasn't been solidified other than they both comprise of the same material that crumbles when severed. Basically Shadow made material manifest a Shadow Lord has the unique ability to change form periodically (healing all injuries) and releasing shadow goblets that can form into fledgling boogeymen after each transformation. Even though their form is ever changing, shadowy eyes-like orbs seem to remain constant and damaging them provokes a panic'd reaction. (main core is UPPERBODY and LOWERBODY but there are 3 severable/pulpable HEAD parts that also double as THOUGHT and are of shadow FUNCTIONAL tissue so that damaging or removing all 3 kills the shadow lord, that is if you do so in time. Adventurers will probably make mince meat of them (players op) but AI and world gen should have a blast.)

SEMI-MEGA Wendigo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

Random Diseases (Health and Mental): have dwarves (and other races) have a self interaction (permanent) that can give them (low chance for each one) conditions such as asthma, bi-polar, depression, etc making fortresses randomly have dwarves that get out of breath easy due to their condition, or just suffer from random spurts of negative (or positive) emotions, or blindess/deafness, or they just can't use their legs, etc.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 08:58:57 am »

I've been trying to figure out how exactly to work with interactions. So far, the only things I know how to mod are creatures and entities. Those are easy to understand.

And I do find your ideas with the races interesting. If only I could figure out how to fully work with castes. That is the only thing I don't grasp about creatures!

EDIT: I remembered a certain problem with castes. With a multi cultured Dunemen culture, effectively a caste when reproducing could cause another caste to be born. And it would be weird for a chance of a Duneman and his wife to have a Desert Dwarf for a child!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:09:35 pm by Asin »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:26:27 pm »

I've been trying to figure out how exactly to work with interactions. So far, the only things I know how to mod are creatures and entities. Those are easy to understand.

And I do find your ideas with the races interesting. If only I could figure out how to fully work with castes. That is the only thing I don't grasp about creatures!

EDIT: I remembered a certain problem with castes. With a multi cultured Dunemen culture, effectively a caste when reproducing could cause another caste to be born. And it would be weird for a chance of a Duneman and his wife to have a Desert Dwarf for a child!

For worldgen history that is an issue if those that wish to view the life of a Duneman, or if you play as them yes. but as seperate factions that you never play, it's almost seemless

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »

Ah. I think one of the things I was focusing on when it comes to this mod was Adventure Mode and Legends Mode. Those are the modes I often tend to play until I could get a firm grasp on Fortress Mode. Now, I'm starting to get the hang of it, yet my races aren't as optimized for an experience that would work nicely with both Adventure and Fortress Mode.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 10:33:16 pm »

Hello, I'm resurrecting this topic for one reason. I need ideas for version 14.0 of Culture Shock!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 05:27:53 am »

Hello, I'm resurrecting this topic for one reason. I need ideas for version 14.0 of Culture Shock!

its 6 am here so I'm just going to toss out some random thoughts

beetle people that live for a thousand years and very slowly grow to be huge. Monastic scholar culture.

lizard people except they are actually quadrupeds and the front "feet" can grasp (look into gorilla raws) also they spit noxious fluids. Cannibal savages in the swamps. Bronze age (remove pig iron and normal iron shows up a lot less maybe I think).

humanoid person covered in metal spines that lives in the mountains. Give them an ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE attack that uses their entire upper body. Mercenaries and rabble-rousers, very prone to tavern brawls.

Something with really good stats so you want it as a mercenary but it has a random chance of making a dwarf go into a crazed rage.

Winged race that uses really heavy blunt ammunition (aka they fly up and drop boulders from the sky. Maybe use slings or something idk). Noble warrior aztec culture.

Race that is very weak but gives good mood buffs so you want them to join your fort. Maybe angelic themes.

Worm people with a tongue-hand and opposable tail and no limbs. Very rich and can use steel.

Spiders that are actually colonies of small spiders shaped into a big spider (tissue layer goofery will be needed) controlled by a brain spider. Their venom is small spiders injected into your bloodstream.

Wyverns that make you go suicidal when they scream but its a stackable effect that takes time to go critical so you gotta kill them before that.

Race who's blood makes people paranoid and they are not immune to their own blood.

Native Americans but an underground tribe.

Race or monsters themed around crazy Hindu mythology. Can't really go wrong with that.

A race where one of the genders does not have the [INTELLIGENT] tag meaning they can produce offspring without being married, which lends itself to rapid growth and horde tactics. I recommend something like a "female" mobile mushroom (IMMOBILE tag prevents reproduction) and a "male" servitor caste of some kind.

I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:32:33 am »

On the subject of desert dwaves; I already put desert and ice dwarves in my own personal blend of mods, to differentiate from the onslaught of banal identical fortresses.

Instead of dogs, Ice Dwarves have Wolves; desert dwarves have Jackals.

Ice Dwarves use exclusively blunt weapons, including Morningstars; Desert Dwarves use exclusively blades, with Scimitars added.

There's a couple other changes, but that's the main bits.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 11:51:56 am »

Beetle people that live for a thousand years and very slowly grow to be huge. Monastic scholar culture.

lizard people except they are actually quadrupeds and the front "feet" can grasp (look into gorilla raws) also they spit noxious fluids. Cannibal savages in the swamps. Bronze age (remove pig iron and normal iron shows up a lot less maybe I think).

Race that is very weak but gives good mood buffs so you want them to join your fort. Maybe angelic themes.

Native Americans but an underground tribe.

Race or monsters themed around crazy Hindu mythology. Can't really go wrong with that.

A race where one of the genders does not have the [INTELLIGENT] tag meaning they can produce offspring without being married, which lends itself to rapid growth and horde tactics. I recommend something like a "female" mobile mushroom (IMMOBILE tag prevents reproduction) and a "male" servitor caste of some kind.

These ideas of yours in particular have caught my eye~

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 12:55:11 pm »

Let's get more suggestions running, my dudes

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:10:35 am »

Pixie civ.
River Troglodyte civ.
Rabbit-people.
Spectral civ (no tools no weapons no farming, kind of like beastmen but incorporeal)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 06:50:03 pm »

Pixie civ.
River Troglodyte civ.
Rabbit-people.
Spectral civ (no tools no weapons no farming, kind of like beastmen but incorporeal)

River Troglodytes? Like the D&D kind?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 10:10:47 pm »

A race of sentient polyhedrons that manipulate objects with eight floating hands and have an eye made of solid ruby. They use living color blobs as attack dogs and ride levitating black obelisks that shoot orbs of fire at enemies. When panicked, they turn themselves inside-out and gain the appearance of a pointed arrowhead, and will impale people with their bodies in a period of frenzied rage. Living beings that eat their specially processed food will either gain perfect memory for one year or disintegrate into a skeleton instantly. A small percentage of their population is born fully grown with a hate for all living things besides their own species. Any weapon made from tin will cleave through them like butter.

Yes this is all doable, I just felt like throwing out something crazy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:35:05 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 01:38:14 pm »

A race of sentient polyhedrons that manipulate objects with eight floating hands and have an eye made of solid ruby. They use living color blobs as attack dogs and ride levitating black obelisks that shoot orbs of fire at enemies. When panicked, they turn themselves inside-out and gain the appearance of a pointed arrowhead, and will impale people with their bodies in a period of frenzied rage. Living beings that eat their specially processed food will either gain perfect memory for one year or disintegrate into a skeleton instantly. A small percentage of their population is born fully grown with a hate for all living things besides their own species. Any weapon made from tin will cleave through them like butter.

Yes this is all doable, I just felt like throwing out something crazy.

Holy shit, that's real crazy. This idea might show up in my "Otherworldly Peoples" expansion pack.

Speaking of expansion packs...

I'm looking to update two of my "Wave 1" packs, Distant Folk (an Asia-themed pack) and People of the Wild (Animal-men civ pack). The best idea I had was to add one more race to each pack. Any ideas of your own, everyone?
Pages: [1] 2 3