Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you all like to see one or two more dwarf subraces to go along with the vanilla Dwarves and the Corrupt Dwarves?

One more would be good.
- 4 (100%)
Two more, please.
- 0 (0%)
I think we have enough dwarf races, thank you very much.
- 0 (0%)
I care not, do as you please!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Culture Shock: Suggestion/Idea Thread  (Read 10754 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Shock: Suggestion/Idea Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 02:35:56 pm »

People of the Wild could use a big, strong race to counterbalance the wimpy crows, bunnies and parrots.

Lion men could be nice. A cheesy sword and sorcery barbarian style civilization, huge axes, crude spiked clubs, lioncloths loincloths and horned helmets.
Females would be smaller than males, but they would learn most skills slightly faster. Males could also be rarer, because, well, can't have too many males in the pride.

India themed tiger people with rare castes that have four or six arms. They should of course wear turbans and bring war elephants to sieges.

Comically aggressive hamster people bent on world domination. They are small, but breed fast and know the secret of metallurgy. As for aesthetics? Imagine a hamster with a plumed corinthian or roman helmet.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 08:25:06 pm »

New Distant Folk civ:

Huang - a race of sentient, ceramic humans. An enigma to many, the Huang view peace and tranquillity with utmost respect, and simultaneously strongly admire martial prowess. Like the Hito, the Huang use some unique weaponry, such as the dagger-axe and the guandao. Generally, the Huang prefer to settle on savannahs and grasslands, and tend to avoid wetlands and rainforests as the humid climates don't mix so well with some ceramics.

If you've figured out castes now, it'd be pretty cool if you had the vast majority of the population made of earthenware, a small proportion made of stoneware, and then just a few porcelain. The rarer ones would be denser which could help out in combat, but if you wanted to do some fiddling with skills to make them extra-special that'd be pretty cool too.

If you haven't figured out castes, or you just really wanna drive home the terracotta army theme, terracotta is a kind of earthenware.

For reference, the dagger-axe is approximately halberd-sized, and is essentially exactly what it sounds like; a dagger-on-a-stick, swing it at a guy and it's basically like stabbing them but with some bonus momentum and range, and the guandao is basically a glaive, a large blade on the end of a stick, but that one slashes the guy you swing it at instead of stabbing like the dagger-axe.

New People of the Wild civ:

Arak - A race of cave spider men, subservient to the same dark lords as the goblins. Armok help those who settle too close to an Arak pit, the cave spider men can sling webs just like their giant cousins, though their bite is much less potent, causing only localised paralysis. Though their natural weapons make them formidable opponents, they do have some flaws: unlike goblins, they are not immortal, and therefore do not generate the same ludicrously huge population, they also do not keep domestic animals and can only forge metal into maces, large daggers, and bucklers. They may be incapable of forging armour, but an edged weapon made of anything lesser than steel is unlikely to cut them, as they make their clothes from their own silk, which, due to a demonic gift, is a little tougher than iron, though it won't protect them from a good hammerin'.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 05:24:06 pm »

People of the Wild could use a big, strong race to counterbalance the wimpy crows, bunnies and parrots.

Lion men could be nice. A cheesy sword and sorcery barbarian style civilization, huge axes, crude spiked clubs, lioncloths loincloths and horned helmets.
Females would be smaller than males, but they would learn most skills slightly faster. Males could also be rarer, because, well, can't have too many males in the pride.

India themed tiger people with rare castes that have four or six arms. They should of course wear turbans and bring war elephants to sieges.

New Distant Folk civ:

Huang - a race of sentient, ceramic humans. An enigma to many, the Huang view peace and tranquillity with utmost respect, and simultaneously strongly admire martial prowess. Like the Hito, the Huang use some unique weaponry, such as the dagger-axe and the guandao. Generally, the Huang prefer to settle on savannahs and grasslands, and tend to avoid wetlands and rainforests as the humid climates don't mix so well with some ceramics.

If you've figured out castes now, it'd be pretty cool if you had the vast majority of the population made of earthenware, a small proportion made of stoneware, and then just a few porcelain. The rarer ones would be denser which could help out in combat, but if you wanted to do some fiddling with skills to make them extra-special that'd be pretty cool too.

If you haven't figured out castes, or you just really wanna drive home the terracotta army theme, terracotta is a kind of earthenware.

For reference, the dagger-axe is approximately halberd-sized, and is essentially exactly what it sounds like; a dagger-on-a-stick, swing it at a guy and it's basically like stabbing them but with some bonus momentum and range, and the guandao is basically a glaive, a large blade on the end of a stick, but that one slashes the guy you swing it at instead of stabbing like the dagger-axe.

I've decided what race ideas to use.

I liked both of your ideas for the new Distant Folk civ and I couldn't decide on which to pick, so I'm adding both.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:08 pm »

Which races would have natural_skill of stealth?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 08:31:51 pm »

Why do you ask?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 09:27:44 pm »

Hello again, everyone. I'm planning on actually updating base Culture Shock soon and I'm planning on finally giving the dwarves and hobgoblins the guns I have in the plans section of the thread.

What I wanna know is this:

Are there any other races you want to wield firearms? If so, which ones and do you have any suggestions for the style of firearm for them to use?

sokmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 06:43:06 am »

Swamp dweling Giant Carp-Elephant hybrid, opposed to every other race, with high weapon skills and rage mode that gives them immunity to pain and exhaustion. Upon death they could drop Sladecarcas which could be skinned into SladeScale, a highly resistant leather-like material.

Im thinking of them as an ultimate foe for our fortreses that would give something great when defeated.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 12:15:21 pm »

Would make sense for most distant folk to have some rudimentary firearms, since IRL gunpowder was discovered in the east, but wasn't really embraced to the same extent as it was in Europe until much later.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 07:28:00 pm »

Heya. I have a bit of a question for you all. If Distant Folk (the pseudo-Asian themed mod) had a Korean themed civ added in, how exactly would you like to see it done? (As in what exactly would the race be?)

This totally isn't for yet another update for Distant Folk and/or a spin-off mod taking place in the continent the Distant Folk come from, no way José
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:35:18 pm by Asin »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 11:33:04 pm »

So, uh...
Besides the Korean civ idea thing I posted, I have plans for 16.0.

16.0 will add in more metals! However, I need ideas.

The only new metal I've made so far is Adamant, or Fool's Adamantine, you could say. Sharp stuff, though not as sharp or tough as adamantine.

The only other idea I have right now is Hihi'irokane, a Distant Folk-only alloy (named after a mythological Japanese metal) made by the Hito out of iron and another metal I haven't decided yet.

So... Any ideas for metals, alloys or otherwise?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 12:11:34 am »

white bronze / white copper / fool's silver, CuNi, seawater resistant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupronickel
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:13:07 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 09:59:41 pm »

white bronze / white copper / fool's silver, CuNi, seawater resistant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupronickel

Hm. Cupronickel, huh?

Anything else?

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 06:08:26 pm »

For the Korean civ, I honestly have no clue, only thing I know about Korea historically is hwatcha and super-early printing-press style thingies.

As for new metals, how about orichalcum, for a possibly-existent-but-definitely-present-in-legend metal.

Or, if you want Generic Fantasy Metal II: Electric Boogaloo then there's obviously mithril. Could be a more risk-free but less potent alternative to adamantine, appearing as actual (super-rare) ore veins rather than columns of fun, but still requiring the whole strand-extraction and metal wafer/cloth making rigmarole, and it could be midway between steel and adamantine in weight, toughness, sharpness, and value.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 09:23:03 pm »

For the Korean civ, I honestly have no clue, only thing I know about Korea historically is hwatcha and super-early printing-press style thingies.

As for new metals, how about orichalcum, for a possibly-existent-but-definitely-present-in-legend metal.

Or, if you want Generic Fantasy Metal II: Electric Boogaloo then there's obviously mithril. Could be a more risk-free but less potent alternative to adamantine, appearing as actual (super-rare) ore veins rather than columns of fun, but still requiring the whole strand-extraction and metal wafer/cloth making rigmarole, and it could be midway between steel and adamantine in weight, toughness, sharpness, and value.

We actually already have orichalcum in Culture Shock, along with various mithril-esque metals (Hokrum from 16.0 which is mithril (the pure metal), Inirus from Shards of an Ancient Time (mithril: the alloy)). Perhaps true mithril could be added in as the most common of the "mithril-class metals" and the only one requiring strand extraction to work it.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 10:09:36 pm »

Hey. I need ideas for what you all would want to see in playable hobgoblins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3