Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 38542 times)

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« on: June 02, 2017, 07:54:48 am »

Thread for the UK snap election. Brexit isn't all that relevant and is massively bloated.

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:57:52 am »

Personally, I was gonna vote Labour but my constituency is completely Labour. They've voted Labour for decades now. I just don't see any point in wasting an hour or more of my time to go and vote especially when I work. Everyone else will vote Labour anyway.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:08:26 am »

Vote for the candidate you like, who is aligned with your worldview, regardless of party policy. It might mean that this candidate (or others like them) will consider themselves as heading in sort of the right direction, even if they aren't the sure-fire winner, and swing their party (or others) towards your desired outcome, even if they aren't doing that at the moment.

Anything else just means supporting the wrong kind of candidate to get the 'right' kind of party or leader support, who then notice that the WKOC seems to be getting support, so maybe they ought to bend away from the approach you originally liked them for.

(If only it was as simple as that, but it's as good a summary as any.)

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:18:10 am »

Yeah, the problem with that kind of apathy is you're not the only one thinking that.

The percentage of Britons on the internet isn't really high enough to swing it either way, especially in poorer areas. I just don't see any reason to leave my house an hour earlier or come home an hour later.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:28:32 am »

Too late now, and doesn't help with last-minute changes of mind (like your chosen candidate suddenly attacking reporters), but setting up postal voting is an option.

Though a friend who set it up due to knowing he'd be on holiday, one election, had a helluva time reverting back to polling-station voting, he once told me. (Not tried it myself. I thought you had the option of casting a real-time ballot to override a postal one, dealing with both issues, but I may be thinking of a different electoral system...)

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:31:35 am »

Yeah, I could definitely do a postal vote. There's also the fact that if Corbyn turns out to be as bad as they're predicting he'll be that I won't dirty my hands with it.

I might vote for one of the little guys instead.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 08:35:13 am »

By "little guys", you mean the actual representatives of your vote, not some "lesser umbrella party", I hope.

Necrothurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 08:41:17 am »

By "little guys", you mean the actual representatives of your vote, not some "lesser umbrella party", I hope.

I mean Green or UKIP or one of those. We've got four of them in our constituency. I think voting for one of them would be a better idea as a Labour supporter.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 08:47:08 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 08:51:31 am »

If your constituency is like 90% Labour garaunteed or something, voting for any other party will still send a message. A very small one, admittedly, but still a message. Green and UKIP being very different messages.

what will one vote do dilemna more generally

It is true that one vote won't make a difference generally. But it's important that people generally don't reason this way, obvs. Also, there's a very small chance of making a large difference. Voting is worth doing.

Soo... should there be a poll on who people might/would like to support?

I'd definitely vote Labour if I could.

The promises the Lib Dems are making are actually pretty enticing: undo Brexit, and more importantly break the entire first-past-the-post system by preventing any majority or coalition. Still don't think they'd actually do any of that though  :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 09:12:13 am »

Aren't Tories projected to win by a Putin-like landslide, or has that changed?
._.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 09:13:30 am »

Changed. The gap, by some polls, is as low as three points. May's lead has definitely decreased massively.
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 12:54:55 pm »

Changed. The gap, by some polls, is as low as three points. May's lead has definitely decreased massively.

A good leader presiding over a strong and stable decline, hopefully into a hung parliament.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 01:49:04 pm »

The Tories' U-turn on social care, the fact that Corbyn hasn't said or done anything scandalous yet and May's refusal to do any debate or campaigning belong repeating "strong and stable" seems to hurt. The fact that she was Home Minister for so long (and so in a way, in charge of the apparatus that should have prevented the Manchester Bomber) means that the bombing isn't benifitting her much (Security and the like is usually more of a Tory strong point).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 02:10:47 pm »

If any of you live or are willing to fraudulently pretend to live in South Thanet, have I got the party for you! Forget the seizure-like inflamed vibrations of the Tories and Laor and instead vote Nation of Ooog.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34