Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 38693 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #360 on: July 03, 2017, 03:36:04 pm »

Goddamn, the Nazis really just had the one response to every problem that they faced, didn't they?
The more I hear about these Nazi fellows, the less I like them.
Here comes MSH speaking inconvenient truth to power: Nazis Were Bad

(ILY MSH I'm not being my usual dick ;3)
I shall not be silent on the shores of my conviction, against any power high or low I shall speak without hesitation, in burning defiance of convention and banality that yes, MoralValue;Nazi set 0.
How the hell do you confuse bees with wasps at all? I'm no beekeeper, but I am pretty goddamn certain of the difference between a bee flying in my face and a wasp flying in my face.

You're talking about politicians here.
I was talking about the exterminators, unless these councilmen were going around themselves committing bug genocide.
Those are genes lost forever.
Laour, upon regaining majority, will increase council funding to buy the bees new jeans. We are committed to a new future for British bee jeans.
Imagine if a disease wiped out all American corn, and then some bloke finds out that the corn still exists in Missouri. Then the governor of Missouri sets all that corn on fire because he thought it was a field of kudzu vines
That's the bee version of this
That's impossible, corn is the most powerful lifeform of all time. A better example would be Indians dynamite fishing for coelacanth, that's an extinction double turn millions of years in the making. Fortunately, fossil fish taste terrible and don't fly around buzzing at people, so they're safe.
You should look up their efforts to recreate the auroch
They basically crossbred the denchest cows to create a mightily muscled super cow. Slight problem: The cows would try to murder anything that got near them

So they had at least two responses:
Can it be made killier? If not, kill it

"The ones we had to get rid of would just attack you any chance they could. They would try to kill anyone. I have worked with a range of different animals and they are far and away the most aggressive I have ever dealt with."
Nazi leadership were huge fans of these, but didn't manage to make them big enough for their like
Well, no fuckin wonder, they bread them out of Spanish fighting bulls! The Spanish have been trying to make the most violent killer bulls for how many centuries now? Those things probably leave the womb with a hateboner for humans, just like the crazy, suicidal Spaniards want them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 03, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »

nvm I was being an idiot
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:10:27 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 03, 2017, 04:06:53 pm »

I really love Spain, and Spanish people, food and culture. They deserve death camps for their bull fighting misery tradition though. Or well, maybe not death camps. They just deserve to be stabbed with ice picks in non-lethal places until they bleed to death. Bullfighting is dispicable.

EDIT: I am usually not for advocating violence, at all. I make an exception for people who slowly torture animals to death for fun and profit.

Death camps, those those caravan parks in Britain, btw. I wouldn't wish those on anyone either.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 03, 2017, 04:11:42 pm »

Speaking of British housing, during the ongoing investigation into the state of fire safety of 600 UK highrise appartments, 181 buildings have already been found to be unsafe, in 50 districts. The problem is more severe and wide-spread than it was assumed to be.
Because of the high number of safety failures already discovered, PM May has told the districts that they do not need to wait for the official inquiry to reach their buildings, instead they are encouraged to start their own investigations right away.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 03, 2017, 04:15:28 pm »

Speaking of British housing, during the ongoing investigation into the state of fire safety of 600 UK highrise appartments, 181 buildings have already been found to be unsafe, in 50 districts. The problem is more severe and wide-spread than it was assumed to be.
Because of the high number of safety failures already discovered, PM May has told the districts that they do not need to wait for the official inquiry to reach their buildings, instead they are encouraged to start their own investigations right away.

That's what happens when they ignore fire safety problems as a whole, they get this massive widespread level of problems. Doubt it'd be limited to London either.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 03, 2017, 04:26:05 pm »

I really love Spain, and Spanish people, food and culture. They deserve death camps for their bull fighting misery tradition though. Or well, maybe not death camps. They just deserve to be stabbed with ice picks in non-lethal places until they bleed to death. Bullfighting is dispicable.

EDIT: I am usually not for advocating violence, at all. I make an exception for people who slowly torture animals to death for fun and profit.
It's really cute that you condemn a whole culture (or several cultures, rather) based on the actions of a minority. Might as well decry the Dutch as xenophobes because 13% of them actually voted for Geert Wilders no?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 03, 2017, 04:28:14 pm »

Obviously, I do not condemn the whole culture, just the (small) majority of the Spanish, who keep voting against abolishing la torrera.
I mean, if it's a minority, as your link claims, then why does the popular vote keep it from being abolished repeatedly, and their congress even gave it protected status a few years ago?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10353287/Spain-grants-bullfighting-protected-status.html
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:30:55 pm by martinuzz »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 03, 2017, 04:34:37 pm »

Obviously, I do not condemn the whole culture, just the (small) majority of the Spanish, who keep voting against abolishing la torrera.
I mean, if it's a minority, as your link claims, then why does the popular vote keep it from being abolished repeatedly, and their congress even gave it protected status a few years ago?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10353287/Spain-grants-bullfighting-protected-status.html

Because culture is a stubborn thing, and bullfighting has been a part of Spanish culture for quite some time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 03, 2017, 04:44:29 pm »

Eeh, because for good or ill we all live in representative democracies and therefore there's a hard cap on how accountable politicians actually are? Believe it or not bullfighting is not the only issue in the country.

Now, the ruling Popular Party also tends to be horrid in all the other issues,  so how exactly do they manage to hold onto power (besides electoral fraud) is an open question.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 03, 2017, 04:45:57 pm »

Please note that I do not endorse actually going out and torturing Spanish that like bullfighting. I said they deserve it, not that they should actually be tortured.
EDIT: in other words, I do not want to advocate violence. I would have deleted my post if Reelya hadn't already quoted it within a minute. It's just that the topic of bullfighting disgusts me so much I overreacted.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:52:04 pm by martinuzz »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 03, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »

It really tells you how stupidly overcentralized the UK is that the districts needs the approval of the central government to inspect the buildings they own.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 03, 2017, 05:05:33 pm »

The topic of perpetuating negative stereotypes disgusts me far more than the casual genocide-advocating, which I didn't take seriously anyway. Not that I'm going to make a big ruckus about either for the record

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 03, 2017, 07:05:45 pm »

The topic of perpetuating negative stereotypes disgusts me far more than the casual genocide-advocating, which I didn't take seriously anyway. Not that I'm going to make a big ruckus about either for the record
Yeah, how dare he imply that just because a majority of people voted to keep it, that's outrageous. You might as well say that Brits voted to leave the EU!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 03, 2017, 07:48:45 pm »

The thing is that the Conservatives could've had a safe majority until 2020 if they did absolutely nothing. Instead because they called an election they have a wafer thin majority that relies on the support of a bunch of fundamentalist nutters who demand yearly bribes for their votes. And realistically this government won't last until 2020. So it's very difficult to claim the Conservatives won when they have put themselves in an objectively worse position through their own poor decision making.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 04, 2017, 01:11:39 am »

Yeah, how dare he imply that just because a majority of people voted to keep it, that's outrageous. You might as well say that Brits voted to leave the EU!
For something being done for a long time, you got three problems with getting rid of it.

1) Tradition. Humans, everything else being equal (i.e. if 2 and 3 don't matter) just like to have things stay the same. It's comfortable, even if the actual thing itself is UNcomfortable. Similar in sentiment to "better the devil we know."

2) Money. Both in terms of cost to change, and if any real or percieved economic benefits come from the tradition. Such as tourism money, or bull breeders and wranglers losing their job. That's the kind of economic perceptions, "Oh what'll they do if we get rid of bull-fighting!?"

3) Cultural pride. "It's just a Spanish thing, you wouldn't understand!" If it's the only place or one of the only places that does something, even if that's lack of spread is for a very good reason, there's a sort of perverse pride in keeping doing it, even if you yourself don't like to do it. "Sure, I don't go to the bull ring, but I did once when I was a kid, it's just the Spanish thing to do, you gotta at least once." That kind of sentiment. Doesn't just apply here.

Given those three, you need a loooot of effort to push over those and/or argue against them, before a tradition is done away with. It's been done, there're plenty of traditions both absurd and horrid that are just... Not done anymore. But they took time and effort and a couple of die-offs of generations in some cases in order for them to kick the bucket.

It's not a "they're terrible people because they voted to keep it!" At worst, it simply hasn't risen, consciously, to "This is actually a HORRIBLE practice!" levels to offset the three-prong support it still has.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:13:11 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34