Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 38625 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #450 on: July 27, 2017, 03:29:27 pm »

How to combat tax evasion

1) tell your electorate you are going to crack down on tax evasion, get votes
2) instruct tax officers to go and hunt smalltime tax evaders (the welfare mom that got a 20 euro/week cleaning job), and make them pay huge fines
3) pat yourself on the back on tv for succesfully cracking down on tax evasion, just don't mention it was only welfare moms
4) use the fines to bribe subsidize the big companies that do the real tax evasion, so you can get a nice management position with them once your political term is over
5) profit
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 27, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »

2) instruct tax officers to go and hunt smalltime tax evaders (the welfare mom that got a 20 euro/week cleaning job), and make them pay huge fines
3) pat yourself on the back on tv for succesfully cracking down on tax evasion, just don't mention it was only welfare moms
4) use the fines to bribe subsidize the big companies that do the real tax evasion, so you can get a nice management position with them once your political term is over
5) profit
Corporate tax evasion is a huge problem for the world trillions are being denied to governments and their people. I hate it with a passion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2017, 04:03:51 pm »

I have a feeling the UK is going to get a... new tax soon.

probably won't happen, but I just wanted to say this here because in the 5% chance it actually occurs I want justification to laugh.

Laugh... or you know... cry because it is sad.

---

Yeah May is looking like it is going to be Rocky for the UK for a bit.

As a quick summary: In 2013 the Tories introduced a law that said that you had to pay £1,200 to bring a tribunal case against your employer, to cut down on "weak and malicious" claims. 4 years later, the supreme court basically told them to can it.

The two ideas I've seen towards this are that it was introduced with the stated intention, or that it was introduced to weaken worker's rights and benefit employers

The major issue I can immediately see is that even if you WIN the case you are still out 1,200 Euros ONTOP of whatever legal fees you have accrued. It punishes workers for daring face their employers. If you lose the case but had every reason to sue, you are now paying a lot of money that you might not be able to afford.

It would have made more sense as a deposit that can be confiscated should your case been seen as frivolous.

Or rather it hurts people with real legitimate claims... because those people might have an issue paying that much money.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:17:35 pm by Neonivek »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 27, 2017, 04:24:04 pm »

Yup, that's what it's there for.

Except we use pounds in the UK. They're worth more than euros. At the moment.
One wheel short of a wagon

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 27, 2017, 04:58:41 pm »

I've been telling the EU for years now that they should rename their common currency to 'kilo', so it always outweighs the pound.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #455 on: July 27, 2017, 05:16:19 pm »

5) profit
That is the exact opposite of profit tbh
smh neoliberalism fam

I have a feeling the UK is going to get a... new tax soon.
probably won't happen, but I just wanted to say this here because in the 5% chance it actually occurs I want justification to laugh.
Laugh... or you know... cry because it is sad.
I have a feeling Canada is going to get a... new law soon.
probably will happen, and I just wanted to say this because there is a 100% chance it will occur and I'll laugh anyways
Laugh... or you know... cry for muh canuck laws

The major issue I can immediately see is that even if you WIN the case you are still out 1,200 Euros ONTOP of whatever legal fees you have accrued. It punishes workers for daring face their employers. If you lose the case but had every reason to sue, you are now paying a lot of money that you might not be able to afford.
Oi m8 we use the Turkish Lira in the United Kingdom of New Australia

It would have made more sense as a deposit that can be confiscated should your case been seen as frivolous.
Or rather it hurts people with real legitimate claims... because those people might have an issue paying that much money.
Yeah, it serves as a real sword of damocles over the heads of employees who were unlawfully dismissed because they have to be sure they've got enough evidence to win before they take it to court. It was introduced by a new labour-thatcherite tory unholy alliance of market deregulation joint political review of how malicious or weak claims were hurting business. There was a mechanism in place where the winning party could get their legal costs paid for by the losing party, but when it came to businesses when they won they still had to pay the costs 99% of the time. Which is money lost, work lost, time spent fighting a court battle, generally shit for business and liable to put people under
So over the course of 15 years lablibconopolis introduce all this kinda stuff to deter shit claims. Of note, is that the lablibconocopia did not simply seek to destroy all employer-employee relations, as they instead directed them to mediators, people like these guys, who step in and try to get the whole conflict sorted out amiably outside of legal channels - and if that fails, then move onto legal channels. This keeps the courts more open to more serious cases and is just good practice all round. The whole money barrier to getting your case heard however, has been a complete failure, having not stopped or noticeably reduced malicious or weak cases coming forward:
"There  is  little  evidence  that  fees  may  have  served  to  encourage  parties  to  seek  alternative ways  of resolving  their  disputes.  That  evidence  is  just  as  likely  to  have  been  the  result  of  the introduction  of  Acas  early  conciliation  as  it  is  of  the  levying  of  issue  and  hearing  fees.  See  Acas Research Paper 04/15, Evaluation of Acas Early Conciliation 2015. We are concerned that as many as six out of ten potential claimants who entered early conciliation neither settled their potential claim via Acas nor subsequently presented a claim to the Tribunal. Acas has found some evidence that this group may be being dissuaded from pursuing a claim by the prospect of fees."
That's from this judge, who also notes this:
"Most significantly of all, we consider that the introduction of fees has had a damaging effect upon  access  to  justice.  Although  there  has  been  a  very  large  reduction  in  new  claims  across  all jurisdictions – perhaps  as much  as 70  per  cent – the  cases  that  have  been most  obviously  affected are the short track and standard track cases. Employment Judges now see very few short track cases (claims  for  unpaid  wages,  notice  pay,  redundancy  pay,  etc),  the  obvious  inference  being  that  a combined  fee  of  £390  represents  a  considerable  investment  in  proportion  to  what  might  be  a relatively  modest  sum  at  stake,  particularly  given  that  the  respondent  might  be  insolvent  and  that the rate of enforcement of Employment Tribunal awards remains disappointing. The standard track cases (typically unfair dismissal claims) attract a combined fee of £1,200 – which does not compare well with the mean and median awards made in successful unfair dismissal complaints. We conclude that the fees and remission scheme act as a very clear disincentive to bringing what might otherwise be claims that are not obviously weak or unmeritorious."
So basically if you've been fucked out of your severance pay and that pay was <£1,000 you're not going to risk paying <£1,000 for it, least of all if you're already in financial troubles and cannot afford to lose anything

So yeah this gov policy didn't fix the previous problem and just created a new problem. This policy benefits no one lol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 27, 2017, 05:31:47 pm »

I have a feeling Canada is going to get a... new law soon.
probably will happen, and I just wanted to say this because there is a 100% chance it will occur and I'll laugh anyways
Laugh... or you know... cry for muh canuck laws

That law already passed...

So go ahead laugh... or cry...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #457 on: July 27, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »

havin a sad giggle

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 27, 2017, 05:47:44 pm »

Oh, all policy benefits someone.
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 27, 2017, 05:50:00 pm »

Ehhh... Not always.

But I guess I am being pedantic because it is more accurate to say that all policy intends to benefit someone.

Since the times it benefits no one is more... a mistake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #460 on: July 27, 2017, 05:50:47 pm »

Britpol usually finds a way to make everyone disappointed

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »

I guess this is the Brexit thread these days..?

Angry politicians are angry.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2017, 08:37:43 pm »

banter

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 07, 2017, 09:07:40 pm »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 08, 2017, 04:49:43 am »

banter
Hardly. It's a massive power grab by the government.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34