Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which stone for forts?  (Read 5034 times)

Bobble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which stone for forts?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 08:19:26 am »

Whatever you have laying around in bulk.

Personally, though, I tend to favour kaolinite; it doesn't show the blood. For roads, I tend to prefer rough olivine because it hides the vomit.
Of course, then you have vomit-coloured roads.

I nominate this as the dwarfiest answer.  "Kaolinite;  it doesn't show the blood" would be a late-night infomercial on Dwarf TV. 

Urist:  "Urist, how do you keep your counters so clean!"
Other Urist:  "I don't.  I use Kaolinite.  These counters are soaked in goblin blood!"
Both:   "Ha ha ha." 
freeze frame
voice over:  "Kaolinite;  it doesn't show the blood.  And be sure to ask about our new Olivine for all your vomit disguising needs!"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 09:37:43 am »

And then a troll comes and bleeds all over the counter...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 09:42:48 am »

Personally I like my fort being either dark green (olivine), dark red (kaolinite) or plain gray, either darker or lighter shade of it (mica, granite, and buncha others).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 11:03:38 am »

If constructions actually were destructible, I'd go with dolomite. Expensive considering it's a flux stone, but being dense, and having an immensely high melting point, you wont find a better stone to build a wall out of.

Or you could just make really thick walls out of whatever stone you like. :p
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 12:09:52 pm »

For above ground, I tend to favor white or gray stone, with wood or metal flooring depending on the need of the time.

But then that's just me. I like my stereotypical castle-like defenses, and gray rock is often part and parcel to that.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 11:38:14 am »

I usually use some grey or dark grey igneous extrusive rock because that's where I embark all the time. I try to keep it aesthetic by using the same rock or same rock color, but usually some touches of color are nice. Cobaltite and cinnabar are not bad for those.

Occasionally I build walls out of iron, when I reach a thousand iron bars. Or copper, but I prefer iron, even if copper is more common.

Wood is an emergency/temporary building material. If I have nothing else I will use wood but I will change it due to RP purposes. Why build a wall out of wood ? Only Elves do that.

Although unfired clay is broken not bad either for constructions. It gives that adobe/mudbrick flavor to your constructions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:39:50 am by Naryar »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »

I usually make outer structures from cobaltite or cinnabar because those rocks are heavy and you never know when a wrestler will slam a fool into the street. Everything else I usually pick jet because it's super light-weight so buildings go up quicker and IRL it used to be considered a semi-precious mineral like marble or jade.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 [2]