Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Schizophrenia and how to live with it?  (Read 4090 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Schizophrenia and how to live with it?
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:43:00 pm »

Hello, Bay12. All those years, my mother hided from me the fact that I have schizophrenia. I'm not mad at her or anyone else, really. I've problems concentrating at one thing, my memory is very scattered, and I'm also lazy and anti-social basement dweller (my symptoms, basically). Do you have any suggestions/kind words to share? And before you suggest to take additional medications, then I've to say that I'm not 18 years old yet, even if I will be this year.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
Re: Schizophrenia and how to live with it?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 03:08:01 am »

What kind of schizophrenia do you have is the main question?
I would prefer not to guess on the one paragraph.

You're not alone, and despite your 'antisocial' nature, its always good to talk about your problems with the people you love, start with your mother.
She probably thought it was the best option to hide it from you so you could perceive yourself as normal, guess what you are normal, but being your age and learning that you have a condition can lead to self thinking something is wrong or that you are expected to act a certain way.
You are you, embrace it
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:09:48 am by Avarice »
××××××××××××××××××

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 03:10:27 am »

you really should consult with a psychiatrist. this is not the best place for 'serious' advice in that regard
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:46:44 am »

you really should consult with a psychiatrist. this is not the best place for 'serious' advice in that regard
I'm forwarding the importance of this here, too.
Any and all kind words/suggestions to share start there. :O

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:06:09 pm »

Honestly, learn to recognize what perceptions you have that are truly important to others. That's the only way I've found to verify the reality of anything, as well as the relevance of anything to anyone I'm talking to.

Hallucinogenics & psychedelics, as well as a few shiploads of life experiences, helped me to recognize that a lot of what I perceive is best kept to myself: 99% of your existence can't be shared in any meaningful manner with anyone else, and it's roughly the same as what they experience as well, so focus on the most important things to share.

Worried about the paranoia? Use it to heighten your situational awareness, and realize that's how most small animals go through their lives daily. It's not a disease, it's a well-honed machine learning system developed over millions of years of being under threat of turning into lunch, which I remind you still does happen sometimes to our cousins (fellow humans are 17 generations away from you at most. Embrace the squick or ignore it) in less populated areas of the world. It helps to avoid pickpockets, scammers, and underhanded people in general.

Hallucinations? Look up thoroughbred horses. Tiny sounds morph into demons for them, and they can go into full alert mode over a pin drop depending on how they're feeling. My history teacher once heard a plastic bag popped by one of my classmates and proceeded to slowly get to the floor and lie very still.

TL;DR one entity's disease is another's survival strategy. Talk to someone else for a second opinion, but as a drug-addled psychonaut, I would not recommend drugs. It takes the freedom out of life that comes with clear-minded focus.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:10:49 pm »

....or seek professional advice instead, yknow
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Humanist/Existential Rant
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:45:24 pm »

Well, over 80% of people have schizophrenia. Don't take drugs; if you're anti-social because of your disconnect with reality then that means you've probably recognized some self-contradictions in your beliefs system(s) and spending time self-reflecting and analyzing your worldview will resolve your schizophrenia. I believe that crippling depression in youths often stems from a conflict between perception and reality, or from abusive relationships. If your memory is unreliable then try writing a diary. I have a few million words' worth of memos and interesting tidbits I've written down over the years, sorted by key words so that I can easily search for them on my Notepad textfile. If you have trouble concentrating, then try finding something interesting that you are passionate about and it will be incomparably easier to concentrate since you'll feel that you are doing something meaningful.

It must be a significant source of cognitive dissonance to worship a deity responsible for aging, disease, death, predation, various genocides, and who allows the violent atrocities committed by and against members of whichever religion your imaginary friend of choice is affiliated with... While simultaneously valuing your own existence and well-being. I'm totally for having imaginary friends, but I don't use my imaginary friend's feelings as absolutist self-justification.

I find humanism, transhumanism, veganism, strong AI rights activism, anti-interventionist activism, and animal rights activism (basically if neoepicureanism were a word, I would use it to self-describe myself) are positive world views which allow for satisfaction from incremental positive change and the knowledge that you are optimizing your decision-making for the greater good :)

If you're paying people to commit genocide, or torture animals, or enslave people, then chances are, that money is not well-spent.

That's a source of depression, and the anxiety follows. I mean it's fine to take drugs but then you make yourself dependent on those drugs, when making yourself dependent on 'Logic' is a permanent, cheaper, long-term solution. So yeah.

As for laziness... Eventually we all feel the compulsion to make money, for survival. And if you have to be social to make money, well: Everyone's An Actor

So don't feel bad about being an inanimate construct or a mathematical program or an ephemeral deterministic existence, or a soulless philosophical zombie, because it's religion that has taught us that these traits are evil and that to be valued as a person you have to be an immortal supernatural ghost and worship a genocidal deity. It's religion that has taught us that we have supernatural consciousness and that the inanimate laws of the universe are alive and intelligent. Intelligence is a product of brains, and brains with high intelligence develop consciousness - whatever that is! I like to think of myself as a cluster of neurons optimizing its risk/reward decisions for mental & physical well-being. By having a logical perspective of reality, you can have a more accurate perception of reality, and thus be better at choosing optimal decisions! And in the end, we realize that those scary things like the passage of time and pascal's wager and our lack of free will or inanimacy aren't all that relevant 8)

Because even if there is such a thing as fate, there is nobody controlling your thoughts but yourself! And no one telling you what's meaningless and meaningful but yourself. So go make something great 8)

Because there are other people, living the same existences as you are. And that's something to cherish.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 06:27:59 am »

Well, over 80% of people have schizophrenia.

Eh?

I'm scratching my head at your whole post really.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 02:56:59 am »

excellent analysis is excellent. bravo faker.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »

Eh?

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who was pretty confused at that. I mean, it is more common than most would lead you to believe but it's not that common.

Regarding the topic at hand:

As someone who's been in the system for quite a while, I'm going to tell you it's not going to be very easy. You should definitely consult a professional if you haven't already. I myself was diagnosed by a profrssional with a similar condition (schizoaffective disorder) and because we caught it before it did too much damage I'm pretty high functioning all things considered. That scatter-brained thing hasn't gone away though, I'm afraid. Negative symptoms are harder to get over than positive ones like hallucinations or delusions. I still have a considerable amount of quirks and odd habits that those unfamiliar with me may find a bit distressing, and when I'm really riding that chemical rollercoaster shit can get pretty bad. Sorry if this seems incoherent as I'm not good at organizing my writing or speech. Then again, you may not be quite as bad as it appears. There are a few conditions that can be mistaken by the uneducated for prodromal schizophrenia like bipolar disorder (psychosis is coupled with mood swings rather than flat affect/decreased emotion) so there's always those possibilities.

TL;DR Mallos can't words very well and wishes you luck. Also you should see a professional before taking any other action.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:50:09 am »

Eh?

Same here ._. parts are misinformative, and parts...seem to be pushing an agenda that sounds somewhat anti-religion. Which wasn't even part of the topic anyway?

Anyway, Mallos (and ChairmanP) both have a point that I guess wasn't that clear; we all advise you to first go and seek aid from a professional, because schizophrenia is diverse, and you'll be having far better aid than you can get here from them, there. Some of us on Bay12 are doctors outside the mental health field, some of us are students or graduates of Psychology; all of us say that you should go seek professional advice on this because it will encompass a lot more than anything people can type up here. (Because in part it requires your input, which is better off done physically rather than textually) :3

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 01:14:47 am »

Folks, let the thread die already! I already have to do medical inspection every year, so don't worry too much 'bout me. The only thing that bugs me is that nobody from the doctors told me that I have schizophrenia. I'll try to speak with psychologist about my diagnosis, though.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:44 am »

... are you sure you actually have it? where did the diagnosis come from?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 01:33:38 am »

My mother said that I have it, no doctor talked to me directly about my diagnosis. They (doctors) probably thought I couldn't take the fact...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 01:43:32 am »

My mother said that I have it, no doctor talked to me directly about my diagnosis. They (doctors) probably thought I couldn't take the fact...
Maybe you should double check just in case. Second hand diagnosis might entail wrong interpretations
Pages: [1] 2