Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Schizophrenia and how to live with it?  (Read 4089 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Schizophrenia and how to live with it?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 04:46:31 am »

... are you sure you actually have it? where did the diagnosis come from?
My mother said that I have it, no doctor talked to me directly about my diagnosis. They (doctors) probably thought I couldn't take the fact...
Maybe you should double check just in case. Second hand diagnosis might entail wrong interpretations
Indeed. For all you know the doctor said 'schizoid' to your mom, and your mom, not knowing what that word means, though it's the same as schizophrenic. (Hint: it isn't. Schizoid just means you're the kind of person that doesn't mind / enjoys alone-time).
Note that this is just an example of how second hand information, especially passed from expert to laymen to you could be completely wrong.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Humanist/Existential Rant
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 06:18:40 pm »

Well, over 80% of people have schizophrenia

deleuze pls go
Shoes...

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 09:14:03 pm »

... are you sure you actually have it? where did the diagnosis come from?
My mother said that I have it, no doctor talked to me directly about my diagnosis. They (doctors) probably thought I couldn't take the fact...
Maybe you should double check just in case. Second hand diagnosis might entail wrong interpretations
Indeed. For all you know the doctor said 'schizoid' to your mom, and your mom, not knowing what that word means, though it's the same as schizophrenic. (Hint: it isn't. Schizoid just means you're the kind of person that doesn't mind / enjoys alone-time).
Note that this is just an example of how second hand information, especially passed from expert to laymen to you could be completely wrong.

This. Doctor could have meant you were someone with schizoid personality, much different than schizophrenia. I'd urge you to talk to him yourself, or at least be there when he says something to your parent(s).
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

RazielReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 03:10:58 pm »

Hello, Bay12. All those years, my mother hided from me the fact that I have schizophrenia. I'm not mad at her or anyone else, really. I've problems concentrating at one thing, my memory is very scattered, and I'm also lazy and anti-social basement dweller (my symptoms, basically). Do you have any suggestions/kind words to share? And before you suggest to take additional medications, then I've to say that I'm not 18 years old yet, even if I will be this year.
here's the best one you'll ever get.
Don't ever listen to the internet for important life advice, despite what this board claims to be.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 03:24:29 pm »

Yeah I'd definitely get a second opinion on the diagnosis.

I've known two people that have literal schizophrenia.  For both of them it got worse over years and it took months to figure out the right prescription meds.  Also they both qualified for disability (one of them is working a part time job and getting about twice his pay in disability payments on top of that).

So, anyway, see a psychiatrist.  For a diagnosis, don't see a general practitioner (aka family doctor/pediatrition/nurse) or a therapist/counselor.  Most of those don't specialize in mental illnesses, and you risk seeing someone who's dumb about it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 10:42:12 pm »

Hello, Bay12. All those years, my mother hided from me the fact that I have schizophrenia. I'm not mad at her or anyone else, really. I've problems concentrating at one thing, my memory is very scattered, and I'm also lazy and anti-social basement dweller (my symptoms, basically). Do you have any suggestions/kind words to share? And before you suggest to take additional medications, then I've to say that I'm not 18 years old yet, even if I will be this year.
here's the best one you'll ever get.
Don't ever listen to the internet for important life advice, despite what this board claims to be.
It'll be better-best if you can clarify for context, actually :P
Because labeling 'the internet' is also one of the worst advice you can give; many a time, you should remember that people suggesting or posting are...people.
And these people can be of similar profession and otherwise that is asked on the OP, so it can help.

As, importantly, it is a skill to discern the level or degree of quality and sincerity of the responses you have, and commonly (at least given the community) people answer sincerely and with the best intentions at heart.

What you CAN suggest however, is to NOT base your impressions solely on what people give and post--like, if curious, you could ask, and further details help as people are responsible for their response in turn (this is also just one reason why people choose not to post towards the topic in comparison to the views it has)

So, anyway, see a psychiatrist.  For a diagnosis, don't see a general practitioner (aka family doctor/pediatrition/nurse) or a therapist/counselor.  Most of those don't specialize in mental illnesses, and you risk seeing someone who's dumb about it.
They will pretty much REFER you to someone who does, as a point. :P

Edit because wow I forgot:
You'll know if you were diagnosed--it won't be 'hidden' from you. Sorry that this wasn't put in my earlier posts <_< but any formal diagnosis, rather than second-hand mention, is always known to the person being diagnosed (alongside other things to help)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:13:38 am by Tiruin »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 01:47:01 am »

Folks, I'm currently sick. I'll visit psychiatrist eventually as a part of medical inspection, so don't worry about that part. As for incorrect diagnosis, I gotta say that I went to med inspections pretty much since I was 12 years old (that's five years for you), so I don't think the doctors/psychiatrist kept writing wrong diagnosis for the whole 5 years.

Also, I want to lock this thread for good, since everybody basically says that I shall visit psychiatrist. I get you, guys and I'll do so, just let me fight my flu for now.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

cloth master flex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 11:27:36 am »

I've lived with hppd for a good while and I would imagine there are similarities to what you experience. One thing I've found is that it is only distressing when I consider what others might think of me if they knew what I experience. All of my negative experiences relating to hallucinations or perceptual distortions are a direct result of fearing this abstract concept of insanity and judging my cognition based upon how it deviates from the (non-existent) norm. If you are getting involved in psychiatric care, I would suggest the following:
-approach it with an open mind or don't do it at all healing of any sort only work if you put in the effort to believe
-remember that psychology is a transitionary pseudoscience akin to astrology or alchemy. Many of our foundational discoveries in the fields of astronomy and chemistry came from astrologers and alchemists.
In the same way, psychologists inform our future understanding of neuroscience
-learn everything you can about neuroscience, if you truly know your stuff about neurotransmission you can play a more active role in deciding if pharmaceutical treatment is right for you.

I can't stress the importance of proper spiritual practice enough. It really works wonders. If you have an existing belief system, pursue it with an open mind. If you are an atheist, I suggest looking into taoism. Integrating meditation or prayer (really the same thing at the end of the day) into your routine will help to put your thoughts in perspective. Taoism in particular is quite relevent to those of us who need reassurance that reality is an illusion and needn't be taken so seriously. In any case, I am rambling but if you want somebody to talk to feel free to message me. Take care.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 11:41:23 am »

I'd put against psychology being stated anywhere near being called a pseudoscience, or even transitionary. The association between either that and its roots are not good to base an idea on. :P It has roots from philosophy and the sciences beforehand. It is not however, of the same point. (Alongside the note that the psychiatrist cannot give you psychological testing but a clinical psychologist can, etc on specifics...) Please beware of what advice you put and the timing too.

Anyway yeah. Thread seems okay given the Original Poster's latest post. :p

cloth master flex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 11:57:00 am »

I hear you to an extent, but would still argue that by definition most psychological practice falls into the realm of pseudoscience as it gives the impression of being based upon the scientific method when in fact it is based mostly upon philosophy and societal preconceptions. Even when hard science is incorporated, it is usually extrapolated to confirm philosophical notions about the basis of cognition. Consider how unscientific/generalized a diagnosed mental disorder will seem once we have a fuller understanding of the human conectome. Modern psychology is hardly more than taking the antiquated notion of the four temperaments to a higher level of complication. This is not to say it is not valuable or to discredit the brilliant work of many psychologists but in my opinion it is not yet science.  :o

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 12:38:02 pm »

Okay, I spoke to a psychiatrist previous month, and she said that my diagnosis is Simple-type schizophrenia. I'm gonna lock the thread after 6 new posts from you, ladies and gentlemen. "Why do I plan to lock the thread?" Because my diagnosis just got confirmed, and I personally think that this thread ran its course. So, say your words of support, and then I'll lock the thread. Thanks for your attempted help and advice!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:09 pm »

Good to hear you went to see the psych yourself, instead of relying on 2nd hand information. I hope you find your way to use the knowledge to your advantage.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 06:12:49 pm »

I hear you to an extent, but would still argue that by definition most psychological practice falls into the realm of pseudoscience as it gives the impression of being based upon the scientific method when in fact it is based mostly upon philosophy and societal preconceptions. [...]
And I'm a student under MS Psychology.
It doesn't really come off like you're experienced at all in making conclusions about a whole field of science other than what seems to be the face value...even in part, however.  :-\ That needs updating, or for you to inquire yourself freely with a local practitioner, as it's too broad to be under the idea of 'psychologist' (which is both a non-exclusive term given how many types and specializations, and the general idea the whole science is based under as a name). Next off, "Modern Psychology" isn't based on Aristotle's four temperaments at all. It is diverse, and pretty much not contextualized solely on the bounds of clinical psychologists which seems like your only mention there (eg there's also psychiatry, psychometry, etc.)
If there's any opinion based on...internet psychology tests, which I guess seems to come off as a note there by...the four temperaments? Those are neither valid nor reliable. :P Those are just fancy face value tests given as if they're representative and wholesome, when they're not (because they don't take the unique context of the one taking said test). Otherwise, please update what you know because claiming as a conclusive fact in your first post isn't going to be helpful advice when it's discrediting something (by opinion, as in the least, it affects your own perception :-\), with extremely broad strokes and with very little specifics.

Good to hear you went to see the psych yourself, instead of relying on 2nd hand information. I hope you find your way to use the knowledge to your advantage.
Yay \o/ You can also go for a second opinion from others there if doubtful too. And advice from them. :O

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 09:20:28 pm »

I hope you can trust your psychologist. I've had a few from my childhood try to claim I had Aspergers or schizophrenia when in reality it was something else completely. Good on you for going out and doing it, though! Self diagnosis is often quite harmful.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 01:17:49 pm »

Good luck.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 [2]