Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orcs refuses to dig stone  (Read 995 times)

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orcs refuses to dig stone
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:26:51 am »

Hello, I have started the game, with the masterwork, everything was going kinda OK, but my Orcs refused to dig an up/down stair, as soon as I reached some sort of stone layer. They dig the soil without problem, but stopped at the stone. Any Idea as to why this happen?

There are image of the different walls. I have picks, but whenever I try to put a designation to dig an up/down star (or dig, or down stair, or up stairs) the designation disappear.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:21:44 am by Elgate »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs refuses to dig stone
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:42:16 am »

Hello, I have started the game, with the masterwork, everything was going kinda OK, but my Orcs refused to dig an up/down stair, as soon as I reached some sort of stone layer. They dig the soil without problem, but stopped at the stone. Any Idea as to why this happen?

There are image of the different walls. I have picks, but whenever I try to put a designation to dig an up/down star (or dig, or down stair, or up stairs) the designation disappear.

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:54:22 am »

It was activated when I created the world. I started my embark with it activated. I died.

Then I unchecked it, and reclaimed the same place. It still doesn't work. Is it in the world creation? Can I disabled it now, or is it too late?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 05:56:04 am »

if it was on (and probably even, if its not on I'd say check this anyway) then you are going to have to do the following to fix it:

1. exit and save the map... you can't make this change while its running.
2. go to Data/save/{your save file,i.e region 2}/raws/material_template_default.txt
3. open that file and look down around line 72 it should say:

Code: [Select]
YES_KOBOLD_UNDIGGABLE[UNDIGGABLE]4. change it, remove it, whatever you have to do, but you have to get rid of atleast the [ in front of UNDIGGABLE.
5. reload the map and you should be able to dig in stone. 

warning... this tag causes some "unusual" things to occur... you may have to actually build down stairs on tiles you tried to dig down into with channel or down stairs prior to this fix.  The floor above it was dug out but since the stone was undiggable it wouldn't let you dig into this layer creating a paradox of not having a floor to dig down from to dig into the layer.  If this happened building a stair down above the tile you tried to dig will replace the missing floor you already dug out.

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 06:05:30 am »

It was activated when I created the world. I started my embark with it activated. I died.

Then I unchecked it, and reclaimed the same place. It still doesn't work. Is it in the world creation? Can I disabled it now, or is it too late?

Yeah that was what I expected.  the instructions above should fix that.  once the world is generated, you have to manually fix this everytime.  Its best to not try and run kobold kamp and other fortress modes on the same map....

Interesting enough I was looking at some script modifications that may allow things like this to be autofixed if a race other than Kobold are chosen at embark.  But it would require a player to reload the map once, and the reverse (embarking as kobolds at a later date) would be hard to catch... I've also considered stretching the range of the initial switch in the "launcher" to ALL material_template_defaults in the Dwarf Fortress folder which would include the save folders... but that is a bit of power we have avoided giving the launcher in the past (MDF is really sandboxed off from the save folders and expanding a sandbox is not always the best option, we may end up with other consequences such as other switches accidentally corrupting save files).
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Elgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 06:49:47 am »

Thank you. It worked. I can now start looking for minerals and start building out of stone.