Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to limit migration?  (Read 1307 times)

arthoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to limit migration?
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:36:23 am »

Is there a way to limit migration? I have too many unwanted population within a short time.

Having 40+ succubus and all of them armed with fire/obsidian armor and fire whips....along with tentacle monster & orthus warbeast.....it's just an overkill. And they also accidentally burned my animal cage storage turning precious living food supply into worthless ashes...and a huge pile of lumber too. A horde of "balrog" is taking away the fun....

I could use atom smasher but it just feels wrong. I remember that necromancer only have two migration limit and then it's either make more necromancers or face extinction. Any way to do that with succubus? There is a den of iniquity that convert sentient beings into demons but yearly influx of demonic horde just make it pointless.

Btw, why succubus are horrified with the rain of blood and witnessing death?

The old concept of requiring specific jewel for magma or water well is much balance than now. It's too easy to build a magma industry and churn out loads of obsidian & solid fire equipments. I hardly dug no more than 20 level underground and only a third of them are partially mined for space and resources.

Khaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to limit migration?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:41:05 am »

Limiting migration is as simple as opening up your masterwork launcher and looking at the lower left bit and seeing the Population Cap option.
I wonder what your succubi do if invaded by other succubi. Fire whips won't do much then.

Understanding the fact that succubi are basically made of fire and wear fire is part of playing them. Your own ignorance of the fact that the people who go around liquid fire might cause some trouble when dealing with wood for extended periods of time is part of the fun. If you want to avoid things like that it's as simple as not using wood so casually.

The emotions bit is likely partially hardcoded for the former and why would succubi, who live for pleasure, not find death (especially of other succubi) shocking and bad?

arthoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:00 am »

Thanks. So If limit the population to 10 does it mean only get migration to reach max 10 citizen but I could they still give birth to new citizen to go over the population cap?

Anyway I don't get invaded so easily. I like making traps and criss cross the world with a labyrinth of fun stuff for visitors. It gets boring when I have dozens of workers to build my megastructures. Usually I have the urgency of micromanaging my few units to construct defensive structures....with too many citizen I hardly care if any died, so the fun factor is gone.

I guess I'm more like a doll house player. With necromancer limiting to about 7-10 I could spend days fine crafting their home, rooms, fine tombs gilded with every precious material I could mine or forge. Last time my old laptop froze, the processor could not process the underground palace I build...gardens like a subterranean angkor watt. It crashed when I started the pumps to get the waterfall running. -_-

I know about the dangers of fire, but I can't do anything when they are fighting on top of my lumber & caged animal stockpiles. It's not the problem about structural fire destruction....it's the loss of hundreds of logs and a dozen or so caged fresh food. A habit from playing necromancer to stockpile souls. Logs for crafting merchandise for trading....money turned into ashes...

It's not a fellow succubi death that horrified, but watching other succubi killing....oh well, I guess demons have feelings too. Since it's hardcoded I have to make some changes to my gameplay then.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:40:15 pm »

Thanks. So If limit the population to 10 does it mean only get migration to reach max 10 citizen but I could they still give birth to new citizen to go over the population cap?

I have a population cap of 50, but around 62 in total from the various births I've had past hitting cap, so it would seem that you can have kids over your cap. But, I also have Illithids and Driders as citizens in my fort, so it might have done something wonky to the cap. Should work, though.
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

arthoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:11:52 pm »

Right....just about to start a new fortress. I've set max population to 20. Going to have some fun >_<

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:53:47 pm »

generally the first 2 migration waves are hard coded you can't get away from them... but after that it will generally stop sending migrants as soon as you hit pop limits.  births are a little more wonky...
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Zlorthishen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:01:49 am »

the first two migration waves are hardcoded, but i've set my pop to be 8, had one migrant come, saved, closed, set the pop to 9 and had one more come. then no more unless i wanted more.