Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We need new "Legends"  (Read 3059 times)

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP AND TEAR! BIG GUY, BIG GUTS!!!
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt! Yes, I draw!
We need new "Legends"
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:14:55 pm »

Hi everybody.

I recently started to play DF again after around 4 months without touching It, while awaiting the new version.

In the mean time, I started to read "SyrupLeaf" by the 3rd time when I go to sleep in the "Let's Play Archive" app for Android.
OR I'm hearing the "Let's Reads" of "Boatmurdered" or "Headshoots" by Dr. Professor Robot on Youtube.
(If you are curious, there are plans for Syrupleaf)  :D

And moments I go, this got me thinking...   :-\
We need new "Legends".  ???

By legends, I mean those hilarious, gore and blood soaked, full of profanity and a big clusterfuck of Sucession Games.  :D :P
And I mean "organized" ones. Because personally (and maybe you too), howmany times I lost myself when I'm trying to read a succession game, and the comments just make everything confusing. :-\

Not to mention, there were amazing stories mentioned in dfstories.com, that if you check, they are not there anymore, just somekind of "404 not found" or if even it's there, there's no screenshots.  :'(

I say, we need to restore the former glory of the succession games and show it again in a readable format. The 3 legends called Boatmurdered, Headshoots and Syrupleaf are the fine examples of what got me and other people into playing this amazing game, or simply enjoying the stories even if they don't know anything about DF. :)

What do you say?
Start trying to organize succession games in a more readable way, by picking only the parts that matter, and maybe post It on the Let's Play Archive?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:22:15 pm by Mane-Shaker »
Evil blood, evil origins... but the heart is not dark.
An unwritten destiny, a long road to walk and choices to make.
Your story, your destiny...

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We need new "Legends"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:59:37 pm »

This has definitely been discussed before. The problem is, there's two parts to what makes those stories great and as the game gets ironed out, at least one of those parts is dampened. There's the human element of needing players who are organized enough to keep those stories well written, which is always hit or miss. Then there's the game element of all the bugs and emergent weirdness that came from the wildlife and dwarven psychology. There's ways to get some of that back without cheating, but there's only so many times we can induce bar brawls before it gets stale again. We could work towards getting the right visitors to mix things up, like goblins, or even alter Dwarven psychology to be more prone to fighting and such. But ultimately the old Tantrum Spirals are giving way to different hazards.

Come next release we'll have serious fun messing with other nations, and writing epics about efforts to move artifacts around. Raids starting wars, artifacts getting made and then attempts getting made to steal them. Us stealing artifacts for the sheer fuckery of it. All good stuff, we're just not there yet. For now our best bet is to build taverns and make chronicles of the time that 12 goblin troupe came to town and busted stuff up.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:40 am »

Come next release we'll have serious fun messing with other nations, and writing epics about efforts to move artifacts around. Raids starting wars, artifacts getting made and then attempts getting made to steal them. Us stealing artifacts for the sheer fuckery of it. All good stuff, we're just not there yet.
in this general vein i think as more features are added there's more ways for things to go wrong, which is perhaps overbalanced at this point by old problems being fixed,
with df2014 we lost almost all propensity to a tantrum spiral without anything suitably difficult to replace it, so in my opinion the game is a bit easier now than it has been historically but should get harder as more features that can kill you are added
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 04:47:48 am »

We do need someone to sort out the Hall of LEgends into coherent PDFs or upload them to LPA

But I agree, the new version is gonna be !FUN!
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:42:13 am »

I think mods could add some spice to the game even in the current update - that said the next one will definitely bring in more fuckery that would be prime for wacky situations in succession forts.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 01:20:28 pm »

Let's not forget modding!

Current DF is a lot more tame and sensible than the bloody insanity of the earlier days, but a minor personality mod can fix that.  You can also make wild animals more aggressive...

I also think that adding new surprise mods to every lets play could increase interest in the game as well.  Boatmurdered was a fun read, but what actually made me interested in the game was the ability to "make any creature you want, complete with a custom body plan and material physics".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:52 pm »

Have any of you guys read roomcarnaged? Though it's already 2 years old, that's pretty recent for dwarf fortress standards.

I do agree that we need to do a better job archiving the hall of legends though. I was lucky enough to read battlefailed when all of the images were still up and it's such a shame to see them gone now.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:24:47 am »

Have any of you guys read roomcarnaged? Though it's already 2 years old, that's pretty recent for dwarf fortress standards.

I do agree that we need to do a better job archiving the hall of legends though. I was lucky enough to read battlefailed when all of the images were still up and it's such a shame to see them gone now.

That's what I mean!
How many stories in dfstories.com are butchered by missing links or images!
What is a DF succession without images?

I envy your luck...  :'(
There were so many succession games I wanted to read.

PS: can I have the link for the story, battlecarnaged?  :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:35:10 am by Mane-Shaker »

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:28:56 am »

Let's not forget modding!

Current DF is a lot more tame and sensible than the bloody insanity of the earlier days, but a minor personality mod can fix that.  You can also make wild animals more aggressive...

I also think that adding new surprise mods to every lets play could increase interest in the game as well.  Boatmurdered was a fun read, but what actually made me interested in the game was the ability to "make any creature you want, complete with a custom body plan and material physics".

Exactly! To be honest, tantrum spirals are rare, meaning they are to be appreciated with popcorn and soda when they happen.
Last year before I started playing the version 43.05, I had a tantrum spiral out of nowhere. after a sparring incident, then the loyalty cascade took effect. It was a massacre.

But in my opinion, a tantrum nowadays would have to be "triggered" for dramatic effects in a story.
Now a natural one is all "Boatmurdered age"

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:37 am »

I think mods could add some spice to the game even in the current update - that said the next one will definitely bring in more fuckery that would be prime for wacky situations in succession forts.

*ahem*Syrupleaf*ahem*
It's one of the legendary ones how I call... and It was modded.

I don't see problems in modding a succession game, as long It makes It hilarious/hard/FUN/messy

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 11:51:15 am »

I'm aware Syrupleaf was modded - it was one of the exceptions though - a lot of the really legendary succession forts are vanilla.

I don't have issues with modded succession games either - in fact I wish there were more that get really famous. I would love to set a narrative, story-based modded fort up even though I'm garbage at fort mode.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 09:00:13 pm »

I really need to revisit and finish my Mrrrow mod. They were surface dwelling cat centaurs who were going to have a version of cave adaptation that transformed them into a form of husk called a Deep Cat that would prowl the caverns and kill everything in sight.

Imagine running a mod with those people and treating that little nastiness with secrecy.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 09:18:42 am »

There's a Battlefailed file that still contains all the images.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10721
I just fixed it's link in the hall of legends.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 02:27:03 pm »

There's a Battlefailed file that still contains all the images.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10721
I just fixed it's link in the hall of legends.

OMFG!  :o
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!  :D :'(
I always wanted to read this one, but 100% complete!

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 10:05:59 pm »

It just occurred to me.
We could use archive.com.
The internet time machine!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2