Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toilets.  (Read 3208 times)

Velocifaptor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Toilets.
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »

I know what you're thinking... "Nobody wants toilets, that's the part they always cut out because its not important and nobody cares." But hear me out for a second. This is the game where your dwarves already vomit everywhere when they walk to the surface and get exposed to sunlight. It wouldn't even be a tedious thing to manage really. Picture this, you have your marble toilets in like 2x2 rooms, your dwarves can just bucket the stuff to the refuse pile and be done with it. HOWEVER you could also build a sewer cistern. You could put a drawbridge at the top and drop your enemies and prisoners into a literal pool of shit. It could also be flammable and used for fertilizer.

Its honestly not that bad to be known as the game with shit in it. This is already the only city building game where you have to bury your dead.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: Toilets.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 02:16:35 pm »

Aw man, can you imagine what'd happen if toady adds illnesses and diseases as well?

A whole force of Dwarves with Gastroenteritis... I don't even want to think of the cleanup on that one.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »

21 pages of sewers, toilets and poo discussion:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148145.0

blitz4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:39 pm »

haha. I think it was Joe & Al's let's play on youtube. One suggested to add toilets or the need to pee and poo.
The other said, isn't it enough to have green vomit and red blood stains,
now you want yellow and brown smears everywhere?

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:19:05 pm »

I guarantee, if this is implemented people will create methane filled chambers underground to detonate underneath Invaders.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:51:05 am »

I guarantee, if this is implemented people will create methane filled chambers underground to detonate underneath Invaders.

Or pee drowning traps!
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 07:44:21 am »

I guess this problem is basically along the lines of all the other realistic but not so glamorous things that would take up most of the time (and labour) of dwarves living in an actual dwarf fortress, if one actually existed in RL; which are not presently in.  In effect, it makes the game a lot harder, but this is mostly by increasing our workload which the economy will badly needs be increased in order to avoid 'post-scarcity economics' wrecking the economy model.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 07:09:12 am »

Well there is the game Hairy Little Buggers that's now available for sale on steam and its a simple DF clone that does include excrement as a "feature" so you could play that...

That being said I do agree with adding toilets and the associated needs as a suggestion, nothing to add to that which hasn't been said in previous discussions.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:45:56 am »

This is the game where your dwarves already vomit everywhere when they walk to the surface and get exposed to sunlight.
Oh, is that what's happening? I was wondering where all that vomit was coming from. That's hilarious.

HOWEVER you could also build a sewer cistern. You could put a drawbridge at the top and drop your enemies and prisoners into a literal pool of shit. It could also be flammable and used for fertilizer.
That sounds great. I'm think something along the lines of ...
A toilet that's built on solid ground can't drain and has to be manually cleaned and bucketed, but a toilet built over a channeled block will drop it's contents down the channel. But only if flushed? Are some dwarfs too lazy?
When caravans leave is it bad for the fort's reputation if they can't go to the bathroom before taking off?
q > r lets you make a room, like you can with beds, tables, etc. so you can have private/public restrooms.
In that room's options one could set men's/women's room, collect solid/liquid/all, etc.
There could be a Sewage Treatment workshop that has to be built similar to a magma forge & magma, but with sewage. This could separate fertilizer materials from chemicals. Chems can then be used in alchemy, other industry, or be made into cleaning supplies.
There could be a Janitor occupation to patrol and clean bathrooms and other areas.
Animal caretakers would have to clean animal pens.
One might have to manage wildlife more to keep them out of areas you don't want them pooping.
Something might occasionally get blessed by a flying creature, need cleaning, and give happy/unhappy thoughts.
Unhappy thoughts from having to poop/pee without a toilet.
Are some dwarfs too proud to go behind the bushes? Unhappy thoughts for having to hold it or soiling themselves.
Can buckets be used as temporary substitutes?
Does going through the stages of drunkenness increase one's need to urinate?
Do patients in beds need their bedpans changed?

I can see it now. Some crazy fun happening with the addition of having to take care of sewage.

How is sewage from the inhabitants of underground caves being taken care of while the player is working on the surface? When they eventually do get there is it like ...
"Yay! We've discovered a cavern!"
"Quickly! Shove the exploration team through the hole and seal it up! By Armok, that stench!"
<Three hours later a lone exploration dwarf returns ... >
"<sobbing> It's as we suspected, Sir! Sewage at least ten Z's deep, with a whole pod of gorlaks floating in it! Looked like some of the animals made it to safety on some isolated islands, but by the skeletal remains I'd say they starved to death ages ago."
"Where's the rest of your team!?"
"<sobbing intensifies> There was all kinds of unhappy thoughts! Rothal kept mumbling about some legendary toilet he wanted to build out of a dragon skull we saw, and drowned trying to get to it. Waw! Then when Ethulenar chuckled about it I couldn't help but think how funny *he* thought it'd be if *he* were the one choking on raw sewage, so I made this bucket out of his head for our janitor. <sniff sniff> Here you go. I call it Sthuls Laha (Laughing Shit)"

Or ...
"Hey, let's drain our sewage cistern into this pit of magma."
"No! Wait! That's flam-" <BOOM> "-able ..." <facepalm>

Someone is going to build a cistern positioned over a windmill farm, so that when they open the drain they can see what happens when the shit hits the fan. lol

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:59:35 pm »

you could also build a sewer cistern.

"Hey, let's drain our sewage cistern into this pit of magma."

Just so we're clear: a cistern is for storing clean water.  A cesspit is for storing sewage. 

See also: composting toilet, urine diverting toilet